Upload from 710 to VP | VP Bug Reporting | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Upload from 710 to VP
January 14, 2011
10:42 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1221sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil

I sent you a Private Message on here... I know sometimes they're easy to overlook on here, but check it out.

David

January 14, 2011
10:31 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1220sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,

I appreciate your comments, thank you.
I've been using Magellan GPSr since I bought a Meridian Platinum when they first came out. I got the explorist XL in the first release of them, same with the Triton 2000, GC & 710.
The Meridian always worked & still does!
The XL, well they had to recall every one of the first release!
Then I got the replacement XL to work on my own and with GSAK.
The Triton Forum is what got me through the troubles with my T-2000.

As far as I'm concerned Mitac getting Magellan is the best thing that could happen for my GPSr use. They are so much better than their predecessors at Magellan!

So, to answer your questions;

If there are any geocaches loaded in VP when I connect the 710 to it and click on 'My GPS' I get a window that says 'synchronizing' on it.
It never synchronizes and will either crash or just keep "synchronizing" for up to 45 minutes. At least that's the longest I waited, then I had to reboot the computer to shut it off.
So I tried the "synchronize" button and had the same results.
Then I tried the "Transfer from My GPS to PC" and got the same results.
If any caches are on VP I can't load anything from 710 to VP.

If I clear VP of all geocaches the 710 will hook up fine, but will not load to VP if the caches on the 710 came from VP and GSAK or GC.com

If the cache files on the 710 came from just VP no problem loading to VP.
If they came from just GSAK and/or GC.com, no problem loading to VP.

But no matter what I do I can't keep my geocaches on VP if I want to load a new track from 710 to VP.

The exact same thing happens with both laptops - Vista & XP.
I have no idea if the GC or Triton will work, I want my new $500 GPSr to work on VP!!

What I want VP to do is keep my geocache files and be able to upload more track and cache files to it.
Loading PQs to VP to load to the 710 is just a waste of time, it takes about ten minutes to load about 1500 geocaches.
Instead I load PQs to GSAK, massage the file to load to the 710 from GSAK, takes a few seconds to load.
As an example I have 11 PQs of every cache in Massachusetts that I update every other month on GSAK. I filter out found caches and load the area I want to go to or load all 9,000 or so caches to the 710.
BTW, increasing the max waypoints on the 710 would be worth doing!
New, just published geocaches I load straight to the 710 using GC.com & Communicator.

Well David, I hope that helps;

Added; I have a Sansdisk 8GB card and a a couple of Maps4Me maps on it.
I'm using the latest firmware & updates on everything.
710 ver 3.23 - available memory 3.71 GB
The same thing happens with ten caches or with 900 caches.

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 14, 2011
10:27 pm
David
Members
1219sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil,

Please tell me if there is anything I've missed. I cleared the GPS and Vantage Point and I created a new database in GSAK for this test. Then I downloaded and loaded a PQ into GSAK and loaded the 900 caches into the 710 via GSAK. I then logged into GC.com and downloaded 5 caches directly to the unit using the Magellan Communicator portal. I then disconnected the GPS from the computer to allow the unit to index the file before trying to connect or transfer anything to VP. I then opened VP and downloaded a different PQ directly in it. The PQ that I downloaded into VP was slightly offset from the original so that about half of the 900 caches would over lap those loaded by GSAK, which gave me 1924 waypoints with the caches and child waypoints. I then reconnected the 710 to the computer and allowed it to make its connection and then in my first trial I used the “Synchronize” button within VP and it synched everything within about 20 seconds and then spent another 90 seconds or so transferring and updating the images contained with the descriptions. I then did the whole test again, but this time using the “Transfer from my GPS to PC” and within about 10 seconds all 905 caches, as well as the child waypoints were loaded correctly into VP with no problems. So, I decided to try one more test!
This time I again cleared the caches in the 710 and dragged and dropped the GPX file directly into the Geocaching directory and restarted the GPS, allowing it to index the database. This time I only used the “Synchronize” button and again the same results – everything worked as advertised…
Ok, next test! Since all of that was done on a Gateway Laptop running Windows 7 64bit, I decided to try it on my Dell Mini which is running an Atom processor and Windows XP SP3. For this test I went ahead and loaded 900 caches from GSAK on the Win 7 machine to the GPS and then I connected the GPS to VP on the XP machine and performed a synchronization between the GPS and VP. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised, because I’m used to using the Mini for loading my Tritons out in the field which takes several minutes, however, with the 710 is was done in about 20 seconds and started downloading the images which took a couple of minutes – but again, no problem!
Phil, please understand that I most definitely believe you’re having problems, and we’re going to report it. However, since I cannot reproduce the problem I not only need to know your computer configuration, which I have, but I need to know which GPS you’re using, the firmware version and the versions of GSAK, VP and Magellan Communicator you’re using. I also need to know if you have any additional maps loaded on your GPS, how many caches you have loaded, how much memory you have free on the unit and if you have an SD inserted in the unit and what size and brand.

Thanks,
David

January 14, 2011
7:11 pm
David
Members
1218sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil,

You aren't long winded at all. You're talking to someone who bought a Triton 1500 before Mitak got involved and fixed the firmware! For the first 10 months that I had my T1500 I couldn't transfer anything fromt he GPSr to Vantage Point or to any other software for that matter - talk about frustrating. I probably should have given up on the unit, but now I'm glad I didn't because today my T1500 is a great unit and I still use it all the time. So I deeply understand - not long winded, just wanting it to work 😉
So, I have a couple of questions, because I'm really trying to reconstruct the problem on my computer and I realized this morning that part of the problem maybe old habits on my end. When you're in VP are you using the "Synchronize" button with the two arrows on it, or are you using the or the "Transfer from My GPS to PC"? Either way, all of this information is going to be sent directly of Richard at Magellan who is in charge of VP. I will tell you this - Magellan is listening and I just got an email from Richard the other day and he is wanting to know what "WE" the customers are wanting VP to do. So, your input is much appreciated...

David

January 14, 2011
5:58 pm
phild31
Members
1217sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Phild31,

Could you do me a favor? I'm going to do some playing around with GSAK to see if I can duplicate your problem. But could you please send me a message listing ALL of the problems you're having with VP include the type of computer and operating system that you're running so I can forward to the VP guy at Magellan.

Thanks,
David

David,

Apparently I want to use Vantage Point in a way that it can not operate.
I don't want to use VP to load geocaches to my 710. It's much easier and faster to load the 710 using GSAK.
What I would like to do with Vantage Point is save my tracks from the GPSr of my geocaching trips, with the caches I found on those trips.
But when I try to do that I have to delete any and all caches that I saved on VP to load a new track to VP.
So my question is how can I save my tracks, with caches, of geocaching trips I have done?

As an example, in August I went on a cross country, 6 week road trip from Boston to Seattle to Colorado and back to Boston.
I used my Triton 2000 and explorist GC. I found over 500 caches in about 20 states, did the i90 interstate Challenge, found the Triad caches, and several of the oldest caches in a few states.
I created at least 15 tracks of hikes I took, like the 8 mile hike to the Ape cache and a bunch of caches in the area.
If I want to see or show someone the track of that hike I can't have the caches on VP unless I first get rid of all caches on VP then load a file with the caches on that Ape cache hike back on to VP.
Then if I want to do almost anything else with VP, like show my track getting caches in Seattle, I have to get rid of that file and load another file to VP.

All I want to do is save my tracks and the caches on those tracks to VP but there is no practical way to do that.
If there are any caches already on VP I can't load anything from my 710 to VP until I get rid of those caches first.

How about separate files of geocaches and waypoints on VP that will not effect each other or prevent me from loading new files to VP?

I don't know if this makes any sense to you or the VP people at Maggie but VP as it works now is almost totally useless to me.
I ended up loading all my cache files and tracks to Terrain Navigator while on the trip. I can bring up any track, any time and show it on the map without having to reload the files every time I use it.
My problem is the maps on Terrain Navigator are just USGS topo maps, not as good as the maps available on VP.

If it will help, when I'm home I use a Toshiba Satellite A355 laptop running Vista 32bit Windows.
On the road I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF29 laptop runing Windows XP.

I'm sorry I'm so long winded about this but this will be the last time I post any comment about VP on this forum unless Magellan completely reworks VP;

Phil

January 14, 2011
9:36 am
phild31
Members
1216sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm using Windows Vista 32bit.

If I clear all the geocaches from VP I can load what's on the 710 to VP with no problems.
If I do not clear all the geocaches from VP I can only load what's on the 710 to VP if the caches on the 710 were loaded from VP.
So I guess I just have to clear all geocaches from VP if I want to use it?
Then load just what's on the 710 to VP?
All I really want VP to do is save tracks so I can see them on the map but if I have to clear the files and then reload them to VP to see my saved tracks with the caches I went to I won't bother with it.

The tracks I have saved are still on VP but the caches that I was going to while making those tracks can't be left on VP if I want to upload anything else from the 710.
And I mean anything, tracks, waypoints, routes and geocaches - if there are any geocaches still on VP when I try to connect my GPS to it VP crashes or freezes.

I really would like to use VP as an organiser of my geocaching adventures, like the promo blurb from Magellan says but it seems to be a lot of work to save anything on it.

January 14, 2011
8:44 am
David
Members
1215sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phild31,

I just downloaded a GPX file containing 900 caches and loaded it into GSAK and then had GSAK transfer them to my 710. After closing GSAK and opened VP and transferred all 900 caches, plus the child waypoints into VP with no problem. After doing that I closed VP and download several caches directly into the from GC.com. After doing so I then cleared the caches in VP and transferred all of the caches in the GPSr to VP, again with no problem. So please send me the message with exactly what you're doing and again, please include as much information about your computer as possible, because to be honest the new VP is as stable as a rock on my laptop which is running Windows 7 64bit.

So, send me the information so I can forward it to Magellan so they can check into it...

David

January 14, 2011
8:19 am
David
Members
1214sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phild31,

Could you do me a favor? I'm going to do some playing around with GSAK to see if I can duplicate your problem. But could you please send me a message listing ALL of the problems you're having with VP include the type of computer and operating system that you're running so I can forward to the VP guy at Magellan.

Thanks,
David

January 14, 2011
7:10 am
phild31
Members

I found that VP crashed when I connected the 710 to it.
After playing around I found that if I loaded caches from GSAK or straight to 'my GPS' from GC.com and already had some caches loaded from VP on it, VP would crash.
I then loaded ten caches from VP, no problems.
Then deleted them and loaded the same ten caches using GSAK, no problems.
Then deleted them and loaded the same ten caches using GC.com, no problems.
But when I loaded five from VP, three from GSAK and two from GC.com - CRASH!
The only way I could upload from 710 to VP is if the file on the 710 came from the same source and there were no caches already on VP.

This is a real problem because when a few new caches are published I really don't want to create a PQ to load to VP to load to the 710!

The good news, for me anyway, is that this is the last straw.
I'll never use VP again unless/until they completely rebuild it.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264