explorist GC stuck on Magellan screen | GC 110 310 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
explorist GC stuck on Magellan screen
July 27, 2013
3:46 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Nancy,

The sets that JG told you will work; however, it sometimes takes several attempts to get it to work.   Sometimes I will take the batteries out, hold the buttons and then have someone plug in the USB cable for me to power the unit.  The problem that you are having is related to one of the cache files that was loaded on the unit and this occasionally happens when a user adds non-standard html to the descriptions on their caches.   Although there are traps written into the code to catch the errors, sometimes one sneaks through.   So, the answer will be to delete the GPX on the unit after you get it to boot into the developers mode.  However, before you delete the GPX file I would greatly appreciate it if you could make me a copy of it and email to me at zukicacher (at) gmail.com so I can trouble shoot the file and pass the back cache onto Matt at Magellan.

Thx,

David

Magellan Insider

July 26, 2013
5:30 pm
naneb
Members
Forum Posts: 3

I tried it again and this time it started to boot but then froze again. I took out the battery and put them back in. I tried to turn it on normally and it worked. Thanks for helping me.

Nancy

July 26, 2013
3:55 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1

naneb said
I tried doing what you said and it is not working. It worked fine last week. Any other ideas. I do not have a copy of the original files. I didn't know I needed to coy them. I have had this unit for about 2 years. It has worked great until today.

Naneb,

Try again.   Device is OFF when you start.   Attach to PC. JOYSTICK IN UP POSITION, HOLD THE MENU AND POWER BUTTONS DOWN UNTIL A WHITE SCREEN APPEARS with a menu bar at the top.

If this does not work then the power supply is wasted.

If you did not copy the files then maybe someone will direct you to a series of internal files.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

July 26, 2013
1:13 pm
naneb
Members

I tried doing what you said and it is not working. It worked fine last week. Any other ideas. I do not have a copy of the original files. I didn't know I needed to coy them. I have had this unit for about 2 years. It has worked great until today.

July 26, 2013
12:17 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1

naneb said
I turned on the device this morning to add some new caches from the geocaching site and the device is stuck on the magellan screen. I tried reset and it still is stuck. I took out the batteries and used different ones and still nothing. Help!

Naneb,

OK .. but in some batteries and attach your unit using the USB data cable to the PC.

Then hold the joystick up while depressing the MENU button and also simultaneously depressing the Power button.

This should unlock your unit and connect you to the GC.

Now all you have to do is to find a copy of the internal files (hopefully you made a copy when you first purchased the unit.)   

Now copy your previously backup of the internal files over to the GC.  NOTE: NEVER ERASE THE MAP FOLDER CONTENTS AS THIS MAPS SERIAL NUMBER MATCHES YOUR GC AND IF YOU LOSS IT YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.

If you have do not have the internal files or the correct map we do this type of repair at Jungle Ghost. 

Now start your unit and run install the latest firmware.

You must investigate your method for loading caches because it appears that you may have corrupted the internal files by not scrubbing the caches.  Please look on this board for the recommendation to scrub cache files to remove html codes.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

July 26, 2013
11:25 am
naneb
Members

I turned on the device this morning to add some new caches from the geocaching site and the device is stuck on the magellan screen. I tried reset and it still is stuck. I took out the batteries and used different ones and still nothing. Help!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251