eXplorist 310 | GC 110 310 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
eXplorist 310
Start problem
January 30, 2014
11:23 am
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

rulost said
The Batteries i was referring to are the two AA batteries being put in the unit at the time it is plugged into the CPU via USB port.

The virtual drive should show up in XP, my computer, Vista computer. Accessed from the start menu. This is what i think. You need to explain how to open the directories to check to see if the virtual drive is there. Not everyone is cpu savey.

Magellan support had me do test over the phone that you didn't suggest.

The unit has been sent back to Magellan.

Regards  Surprised 

rulost said
The Batteries i was referring to are the two AA batteries being put in the unit at the time it is plugged into the CPU via USB port.

The virtual drive should show up in XP, my computer, Vista computer. Accessed from the start menu. This is what i think. You need to explain how to open the directories to check to see if the virtual drive is there. Not everyone is cpu savey.

Regards  Surprised 

Rulost,

First of all, I suggest that you do not test our instructions, just follow them.

You are supposed to connect the PC to the GPS using the USB cable.  What we suggest does not depend on whether batteries are in the unit or not.

Then do the joystick up, menu down, power on simultaneously and see if the unit attaches to the PC.

Now XP or Vista or Win7/8 read the instruction manual for Windows and discover what the Windows Explorist is and how to activate it.  It will show you ALL the driver on the PC... drives start with C: and then progress to D: ....... etc. 

You simple want to see if a new VIRTUAL drive named Magellan appears.  If it does not then you know that answer to your dilema .. Return the unit to the dealer or Magellan.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

January 30, 2014
11:05 am
rulost
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Regards  Surprised 

January 29, 2014
8:54 am
OSS-SAS
Admin

The battery should be "white" indicating the USB is draining power from the PC. 

The virtual drive can ONLY seen on your Computer.  Use your Windows Explorer (not your Internet Explorer) to open the directories on the Computer on your Vista.  You should see a new drive named MAGELLAN.  This virtual drive could be labeled F: or G: or whatever the next drive of your machine will allow.  It is usually F:/MAGELLAN OR G:/MAGELLAN. 

In conclusion, if you cannot see the MAGELLAN virtual directory send it back to Magellan or the dealer you purchased the unit from.

NOTE: If you want to purchase a Specialty NEW IN BOX 310 please visit our website at http://www.jungleghost.com/Exp.....cart.shtml

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

January 28, 2014
7:04 pm
rulost
Members

Thanks, it is the newer 310 it is not the GC. I tryed you procedure 5 or six times. I don't think it worked to my knowledge, where would the virtual drive be located? should the batteries be in while being plugged in to the usb port?

Regards  Frown 

January 28, 2014
12:21 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin

Dwain,

Let me first clarify that you have one of the new Magellan Explorist 310 units and not a GC.  

From your description of the problem we suspect that the unit has corrupted internal software.  First, thing is to call Magellan and ask for a Warranty replacement.

Our suggestion as to a fix would be for you to attach the unit via USB data cable to the PC and then simultaneously hold joystick in up position, hold Menu button down and then HOLD power switch on ..  This combination should allow the 310 to create virtual drive on your Vista machine under the directory name /MAGELLAN.

If this works, then all you need to get a copy from someone of ALL the internal software and replace the existing software on the 310 but not replace the directory /MAP or any files in this subdirectory.

WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE ERASE THE /MAP DIRECTORY WHICH CONTAINS THE WWNA_BM.mgi AND Touch.mdc PROGRAMS OR ANY OTHER PROGRAMS IN THE /MAP DIRECTORY ... THIS MAP MATCHES THE SERIAL NUMBER OF THE GPS AND WILL NOT WORK ON ANY OTHER GPS.

With good news comes bad news.  The problem with the unit not turning off may not be solved with the replacement of the internal software. This would be a component failure on the PCB.  Hence, replace the unit.

Regards,

JG

January 28, 2014
11:52 am
rulost
Members

Hi

I just got an eXplorist 310 from a pawn shop this is not a eXplorist 310 GC, they said it was new and it would not power up. Batteries in i pushed the power button and the unit comes on with the Magellan logo at the top of the screen, and thats it nothing else, won't turn off with the power button either you have to pull the batteries. Plug it in to the usb port batteries out, the same  thing happens. CPU won't recognize it even being plug in but it seems to be powering it. I have no Magellan software on my CPU. Running windows Vista. Can anyone help to resolve this problem?

Regards   Cry

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264