Possible reason for 710 failing to connect to satellite? | 510 610 710 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Possible reason for 710 failing to connect to satellite?
October 10, 2012
6:24 am
BarryG
Members
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys! I went hiking again Monday and all was well.

If I ever see it happen again, at least now I've got some good info that should help resolve it.

October 7, 2012
4:55 pm
sduck
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Probably a combination of having to reset it's almanac settings due to the distance from your last position, and not getting a steady connection to any fixed set of satellites. When you're walking, especially if there's tree cover, the access to satellites is constantly changing, and it can't get a lock on enough of them. It may have been an issue where if you had just stood still in an open position for 5 minutes it might have made enough connections. That's a long stop when you're out walking though!

October 7, 2012
1:10 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1

BarryG said

The is the first time this has ever happened with my 710. I set out on a hike today and the 710 absolutely refused to connect to the satellite. The map displayed my home location (100 miles away) and the elevation showed my home elevation (off by 2200ft). I turned it on/off several times during the hike but no luck. When I later drove home, it connected fine.

Any ideas?

TIA

(sorry for the typo "719" in subject line but the forum s/w doesn't allow me to edit/correct it)

Barry,

This situation should not occur. Just for the heck of it "reinstall your firmware". If this does not solve your problem please let us know.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

October 7, 2012
8:27 am
WRW
Members
Forum Posts: 16

When a gps is turned off and then started over 200 km away, it takes a while for it to find itself because it can't use the stored data to calculate its position until it downloads a new ephemeris. This has happened to me numerous times but I don't think it took longer than 15 minutes.

October 5, 2012
9:54 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

I have had something similar happen when I drove to northern Maine with my 710 shut off.
The last place it was turned on was in Rhode Island so it showed that spot in R.I. when I turned it on.
I put it on a picnic table for about 30 minutes while unpacking so I'm not sure how long it took to lock on, but it had connected by the time I looked at it again.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

October 5, 2012
5:04 pm
BarryG
Members
Forum Posts: 33

The is the first time this has ever happened with my 710. I set out on a hike today and the 710 absolutely refused to connect to the satellite. The map displayed my home location (100 miles away) and the elevation showed my home elevation (off by 2200ft). I turned it on/off several times during the hike but no luck. When I later drove home, it connected fine.

Any ideas?

TIA

(sorry for the typo "719" in subject line but the forum s/w doesn't allow me to edit/correct it)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251