Hidden menu explorist 510. | 510 610 710 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Hidden menu explorist 510.
December 19, 2012
10:00 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

The usb cable being loose in the socket can be fixed by very carefully using long nosed pliers as JG suggested.

I had the same problem with my 710.

The unit can handle 10,000 geocaches but if you try to load more than 10,000 it will cause problems.

I have found my 710 works best with about 9,000 or less geocaches loaded.

The 'found' geocaches will only show for the caches you mark as found on the unit, when you replace the geocache file all the geocaches will now be unfound on the unit.

I never load geocaches I have already found to my unit, after awhile I realized I don't need to see a bunch of smilies on the GPSr anyway.

The 'Next Nearest' issue is supposed to be addressed in an update.

The issue happens when you search for a geocache by name, after that the list will not work right when tapping 'Go To Next Nearest' unless you go to 'Sort & Search' and tap 'distance' even though it is already enabled.

For now, until it is fixed, when it asks 'Go to next nearest?' after marking a cache as found just say no.

Then bring up the geocache list from the main menu and it should work fine.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 19, 2012
9:09 am
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1

Acpo,  Welcome to the ExploristForum. You have come to the right place for solutions.

To address your observations and problems:

1) The USB cable is connected to a USB board that has a ribbon cable connected to the PCB.  The best estimate is that the USB board connector is defective or you might wish to try a new cable that will give you a tighter connection.  One trick is to try to make the cable connection wider using long nose pliers .. but be careful.

2) The battery problem is well known to Magellan and has been associated with a product run with a bad sensor.  Magellan now recognizes this problem and the Magellan CSS staff should not give you any problems on your return request.  If so, please inform us and we will have the correct people made aware of your need. (correct, David??)

THE BEST SOLUTION FOR 1 AND 2 IS TO RETURN YOUR UNIT UNDER WARRANTY FOR A NEW ONE.

3) The problems with the geocaches is also well known and this is a software fix. Hopefully Magellan will include the fix in the new release of firmware.

These are the solutions you seek.   We have over 680 additional members who will probably add messages to my reply and continue to assist you.  However; the unit really should be replaced as you do have some defectives in your present unit.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

December 19, 2012
6:45 am
acpoknight
Members
Forum Posts: 1

I have a 610 that I purchased about 8 months ago.  I have had similar problems as posted in this thread.  

1. The multiple indexing
  2. Batteries need replacing (with a fresh set installed)
  3. having 10,000+ geocaches in the unit and yet when i pull up the list for nearest, it shows up blank.
  4. The unit won't connect to my PC unless i hold the USB cable "just so"  talk about a juggling act trying to hold things correctly and then use keyboard and mouse to perform actions.

Strangely, if i re-sort the list by name they all show up again.  I've read in other forums that after finding a cache, clicking yes/no to the comments (doesn't matter which) and then clicking YES to "find next nearest geocache" will cause the bug every time.  The solution for this is to re-install the firmware.  what a pain.  The reason i'm in the forums today looking for solutions, is that my 610 is now not remembering my found caches.  I'm having old caches that i found months ago showing up as unfound.  I've deleted everything off of the unit including waypoints, done a fresh import from vantage point but it doesn't help.  Sorry if my post is all over the place.  I really love my 610, but it is sometimes very frustrating to own one.

October 7, 2012
11:41 am
narrawa
Members
Forum Posts: 2

"It is easy to bring it up. How much trouble could I cause, that is the question? LOL
Graham."

Exactly that....and its why im not game to touch this accidental finding.Laugh

Having read some of the other comments. i too have unstable battery shut-down reboot dramas with the 510...i should have known better to buy this brand again after a problematic explorist 500...why do we do the things we do.???
They are slow to boot no matter what battery matrix is used,....rebooting to improve performance is nothing short of pathetic. Iv seen my unit go round and round doing this rebooting thing till i could not bare it no more and just tossed it into my bag.
Rechargeable batteries are my flavor,and i will not spend the money on Lithium batteries as the price for them is plain stupidity....i hope Magellan does not try to pull the wool over our eyes and use this as an excuse.
It will be the last time i waste my money on this brand unless there is a fix for all the problems these units suffer.

Narrawa in Oz.

October 5, 2012
1:32 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251

I have seen this behavior once. The device ran out of power an shut down by itself. I changed the batteries and was not able to start the device. I needed to use USB power to boot up. It looks like, the power detection of the battery is right after the boot up process and the device is using wrong information on startup.
This was reported to Magellan, they have been very interested. (They asked some question about the circumstances)
But again, I've only seen this once, about one year ago.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

October 5, 2012
1:30 pm
phild31
Members

Ah, I understand now.

I don't really know programming so I'll just report what I see & experience and leave it to the programmers to figure out.

I cannot reproduce the indexing and battery problems, they just happen at random.
I'll try a couple of simple things to clean up my unit and see what happens.

October 5, 2012
12:53 pm
Mike
Guests

phild31 said

OK, you don't seem to understand what I'm talking about here.

First, I've had my 710 for about two years, I pre ordered it as soon as they became available.
The sort by distance has always worked, it works now.
I always have the list set for 'Sort by distance'.

I am not looking for a solution, so far it has recovered every time and continues to work.
I was just commenting that these units still have some real programming issues.

The problem I'm trying to describe is not a constant problem.
It has happened a few times since the last couple of firmware updates.
The last time it happened was over a month ago, I was geocaching with a load of over 4,000 caches on the unit. Everything about the unit worked perfectly, the list came up perfectly and I found dozens of caches over several days.
Then one day, after finding several caches by using the list, I brought up the cache list again, like I always do, to look for the next cache and nothing was on it!

It was working perfectly 5 minutes earlier, the batteries were showing 3/4 full, I did everything the same way I always do.
I mark a cache as 'Found' - when it asks 'Make Comment' I tap NO, when it asks 'Next nearest?' I tap NO.

So I shut the unit off, turned it back on, watched it index 15% of the data, stop indexing and turn on. There were still no caches on the list sorted by distance.
I did this three more times until it finally indexed the data correctly and the unit has worked perfectly since.
I have removed, replaced and added to the geocaches loaded to it at least once a week since I have had it.
I use GSAK to load geocache data to the unit.
I have done nothing different at all to cause this weird behavior, that's why I called it unstable behavior, it seems to be totally random.

The same thing with the unit not recognizing new batteries, it doesn't always do it.
This never happened at all with my unit before the last firmware update.

Oh yeah, how would you suggest we remove those stupid 1,000 most popular caches in the world that came loaded on the 710 and that always show up with a new update?
I removed those 1,000 geocaches two days after I got the unit and never had this problem until recently.

Hi Phil,

Actually I fully understand. I problem is that I would like to hear from our members with the same problem before I declare a software problem. Forgive me, but we are very hesitant of declaring a programming issue unless we can reproduce it and cannot fix it in our facilities.

So far, it may be a software problem in your eyes, however; too many files have been changed, deleted and upgraded to presuppose that it is not an inherited corrupt software issue. Additionally, there have been no PCB board changes that we are aware of except for the accidental shipment of some units with the wrong uboot files. If you had such a unit you would have gotten an "iBoot" error with the first firmware upgrade.

As for the units failure to recognize new batteries. We have looked at this issue and cannot reproduce it with alkaline and rechargeables when the battery settings condition is set to "alkaline"

Mike

October 5, 2012
12:01 pm
phild31
Members

OK, you don't seem to understand what I'm talking about here.

First, I've had my 710 for about two years, I pre ordered it as soon as they became available.
The sort by distance has always worked, it works now.
I always have the list set for 'Sort by distance'.

I am not looking for a solution, so far it has recovered every time and continues to work.
I was just commenting that these units still have some real programming issues.

The problem I'm trying to describe is not a constant problem.
It has happened a few times since the last couple of firmware updates.
The last time it happened was over a month ago, I was geocaching with a load of over 4,000 caches on the unit. Everything about the unit worked perfectly, the list came up perfectly and I found dozens of caches over several days.
Then one day, after finding several caches by using the list, I brought up the cache list again, like I always do, to look for the next cache and nothing was on it!

It was working perfectly 5 minutes earlier, the batteries were showing 3/4 full, I did everything the same way I always do.
I mark a cache as 'Found' - when it asks 'Make Comment' I tap NO, when it asks 'Next nearest?' I tap NO.

So I shut the unit off, turned it back on, watched it index 15% of the data, stop indexing and turn on. There were still no caches on the list sorted by distance.
I did this three more times until it finally indexed the data correctly and the unit has worked perfectly since.
I have removed, replaced and added to the geocaches loaded to it at least once a week since I have had it.
I use GSAK to load geocache data to the unit.
I have done nothing different at all to cause this weird behavior, that's why I called it unstable behavior, it seems to be totally random.

The same thing with the unit not recognizing new batteries, it doesn't always do it.
This never happened at all with my unit before the last firmware update.

Oh yeah, how would you suggest we remove those stupid 1,000 most popular caches in the world that came loaded on the 710 and that always show up with a new update?
I removed those 1,000 geocaches two days after I got the unit and never had this problem until recently.

October 5, 2012
9:05 am
Mike
Guests

phild31 said

I should have been more specific in describing my random problems.
After removing all geocaches & waypoints from the unit's memory I load a new set of geocaches and the unit works perfectly.
Then for no apparent reason when I bring up the list of geocaches there is nothing on it!
The caches are all on the map, the list worked 5 minutes earlier and it worked perfectly for several weeks without issues.
I found that when this happens it will only happen when it's sorted for 'Nearest'.
If I sort for 'Name' or anything else the list comes up.
That's not very helpful when I don't know the name of the nearest cache and it's showing me caches that are many miles away.

If I repeatedly turn the unit off and on it will eventually index the data properly and work perfectly again, until it does it again weeks or months later!
It will usually stop indexing at 15%, come on and no list.
When it finally indexes over 20% it will finish indexing and everything works.

I've had it happen when I had just 300 caches loaded, only the maps that came on it and with an empty sd card.

This does not happen very often, maybe 10 - 12 times in the past year, but it's not fun and I don't usually have a computer with me in the woods to check my memory use.
I've gotten into the habit of carrying my GC as a back-up for when this happens or just use my iPhone and shut the 710 off.Yell

Phil,

Just some questions:
1) Did the unit ever work correctly using the "Nearest" sort command?
2) Did you erase the list of 1000 Geocaches before you started to load your own caches. P.S. Some members go directly to the F:/Magellan Directory and do this to save space as it will mess up the counter. This is a no-no. Not saying that you do it just advising members who read this message not to do this.

Ok .. here is where I am going with this. If I had to bet on my experiences in repairing these units, I would guess that the SDRAM EEPROM is at fault on needs a low level format.

Using a computer to defrag the chip will not work and will get members in trouble.

This would mess up the indexing as would question #2.

One possible solution is to remove all your Waypoints, Routes and caches and then reinstall the firmware. Then load back your data. Hopefully this will clear the counter and fix your problem. However; I advise you that it may not because the counter software will most likely not be overwritten.

Mike

October 4, 2012
5:34 pm
phild31
Members

I should have been more specific in describing my random problems.
After removing all geocaches & waypoints from the unit's memory I load a new set of geocaches and the unit works perfectly.
Then for no apparent reason when I bring up the list of geocaches there is nothing on it!
The caches are all on the map, the list worked 5 minutes earlier and it worked perfectly for several weeks without issues.
I found that when this happens it will only happen when it's sorted for 'Nearest'.
If I sort for 'Name' or anything else the list comes up.
That's not very helpful when I don't know the name of the nearest cache and it's showing me caches that are many miles away.

If I repeatedly turn the unit off and on it will eventually index the data properly and work perfectly again, until it does it again weeks or months later!
It will usually stop indexing at 15%, come on and no list.
When it finally indexes over 20% it will finish indexing and everything works.

I've had it happen when I had just 300 caches loaded, only the maps that came on it and with an empty sd card.

This does not happen very often, maybe 10 - 12 times in the past year, but it's not fun and I don't usually have a computer with me in the woods to check my memory use.
I've gotten into the habit of carrying my GC as a back-up for when this happens or just use my iPhone and shut the 710 off.Yell

October 4, 2012
1:12 pm
Mike
Guests

phild31 said

My 710 is well out of warranty and it becomes unstable all by itself periodically.

I can only assume that not showing the newly loaded geocaches and waypoints on the lists until it "indexes data" 4 or 5 times is "unstable behavior". They do show on the map though!
Or that not recognizing new batteries are installed and repeatedly shutting down until I remove & reinstall the new batteries several times is also "unstable behavior".

These behaviors and several other strange things do not always happen, but every now and then, at random they do show up.
Anything I change that makes it worse is not that big a deal.

Phil,

We have encountered this problem many times. Obviously you have tried to remove or store some of the geocaches and waypoints to no avail.

So the first thing we check is the available memory and then we check whether the client is storing information on their MicroSDHC card.

If you remove items and the indexing notices disappear it is pointing to either the insufficient memory of the an internal file problem. Many people are now taking it upon themselves to play with the USER programs in the system and therefore messing up the index.

If the memory is OK then it is the program in that the index is somehow not in the correct sequence. The hope is that by removing some Waypoints and caches and reloading them may solve the problem and eliminate the "unstable behavior".

If all this does not solve the problem then we would have to reformat the SDRAM chip and reload a nascent copy of the firmware 6.53,

Please do not misinterpret my "reformat the SDRAM chip" as meaning to use your computer to do a reformat because you will really mess up the chip.

I am referring to a Magellan tool which reformats the chip and sets up the internal memory to properly take a new reload of firmware.

Mike

October 4, 2012
9:10 am
phild31
Members

My 710 is well out of warranty and it becomes unstable all by itself periodically.

I can only assume that not showing the newly loaded geocaches and waypoints on the lists until it "indexes data" 4 or 5 times is "unstable behavior". They do show on the map though!
Or that not recognizing new batteries are installed and repeatedly shutting down until I remove & reinstall the new batteries several times is also "unstable behavior".

These behaviors and several other strange things do not always happen, but every now and then, at random they do show up.
Anything I change that makes it worse is not that big a deal.

October 3, 2012
3:03 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

How much trouble could I cause? The answer is "Enough". I spoke to Matt, the lead engineer at Magellan Outdoor US and he told me that anything that is changed within the menu automatically void the warranty on the unit and that any changes made to the settings can very easily cause the unit to become unstable. Of course will will not stop some people from playing with the settings, but it is at there own risk...

But then again, I'm sure Ed (Jungle Ghost) would love to have the business!!!

David

October 3, 2012
5:24 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250

narrawa said

This works on the 510 and 710, but iv not tested it on the 610.
Bring up the 4 corners by touching the map screen....click on the bottom left icon.
Now tap on the tools menu...spanner/screwdriver icon.
At the top of the screen is now the same symbols, alongside is the word "Tools."

Tap the word "Tools" three times rapidly....dont panic if you dont get it first time, it takes a few attempts to master......and there you go.
What you do with the information is up to you....be careful.

Narrawa

It is easy to bring it up. How much trouble could I cause, that is the question? LOL

Graham.

October 3, 2012
12:59 am
narrawa
Members
Forum Posts: 2

This works on the 510 and 710, but iv not tested it on the 610.
Bring up the 4 corners by touching the map screen....click on the bottom left icon.
Now tap on the tools menu...spanner/screwdriver icon.
At the top of the screen is now the same symbols, alongside is the word "Tools."

Tap the word "Tools" three times rapidly....dont panic if you dont get it first time, it takes a few attempts to master......and there you go.
What you do with the information is up to you....be careful.

Narrawa

Narrawa in Oz.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply