Explorist 710 Does Not Connect to PC | 510 610 710 Repair & Service Questions & Solutions | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Explorist 710 Does Not Connect to PC
This is the standard message that we send to inquirers for the Explorist 510 610 and 710 problem of not being able to connect to your PC
May 9, 2014
1:27 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

One customer wrote the following inquiry.

It looks like the Magellan Insiders forum is gone so you are my last hope.
I have the explorist 710 and have a problem connecting it to a computer.
When I hook it up I get the screen asking if it is to connect to the pc
or if it is power only. I select 'connect' and after a moment the 710
writes to gpx. On the computer end I get a message that tells me the
connected usb device is not recognized. The last few times, the gpsr
won't even recognize that it is hooked up to the computer and only shows
external power. I have switched out the cables and all are the same.
Tried different USB connections. Same. All other usb devices work
without a hitch.

This is the second unit this has happened to. The first time it was
still under warranty. The replacement unit, unfortunately, is out of
warranty now. Can this problem be fixed? I really like the unit, but if
it can't connect to the computer it is basically worthless to me.
Thanks
AF

============ Our Reply to the Customer ================

AF,

Thanks for writing to us.  Even though David's Magellan Insider is out of action.  The exploristforum.com will always be active.

Someone has to support the Magellan X10's and Triton Units and we ellect to do this.

Now to your Message ...

First a plug for our operation. We are the ONLY COMPONENT REPAIR CENTER FOR THE X10'S IN THE WORLD. So please think of us in this capacity as we proceed.

The explorist 710 has somehow inherited a corrupt file. So here are some basic questions we have to ask:

1) What computer and operating system are you using. Hopefully, Windows, Vista, or Win7
2) Is Vantage Point installed on this computer and is it now operating?

Here is why we are asking these questions. Your problem could be a corrupt file that you can eliminate. So we are going to proceed on this assumption for the present.

If VantagePoint is operational then the latest connection code should be in the file c:\magellandrivers. The X10 does not really need these files but sometimes corrupt files in this folder can mess up a connection.

If the answer to 1 and 2 is OK .. then we can try to eliminate a bad file by going into the Settings and then Memory and executing the "Clear Memory". Now be careful because this command will Clear all memory including Waypoints, Route, and Tracks. Also remove any MicroSDHC memory cards from the GPS. So if VantagePoint is working connect to the PC if you can download a copy of these files before you execute the "Clear Memory" command.

One other point VantagePoint may allow you to connect to the PC because if it is working it will use the VantagePoint device drivers as a back up.

The last test is to go back into Settings and Memory and reset the unit to the "Factory Defaults".

If all these steps do not work. Then the internal memory of the 710 has to be reformatted and all files reloaded. This is where we come in because we have all the files to do this work. No one else in the World except for Magellan can do this and they do not offer this service.

Rest assured that when we reformat the unit we will reload all the maps and your the serial number of your GPS will not be changed.

In Conclusion: Yes, we can repair the problem but first lets do some experiment tests to see if you can clear the problem yourself.

Regards,

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251