What can cause 710 to disable spoken turn-by-turn? | Navigation | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
What can cause 710 to disable spoken turn-by-turn?
July 12, 2012
1:27 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6722sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

...I just don't see them reporting to us each month as to what they're doing.

That's a pity - as I thought that this forum has raised heaps of issues and solutions for Magellan to work on and help them get the units to be the best. It would be nice for "them" to show some appreciation and to acknowledge our input.

July 11, 2012
10:05 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
6719sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah...that's what I've been doing...actually, I've toggled it to geocaching and then to vehicle mode in 2 taps which is not that big of a deal to me.

Just wanted to share that mine did something similar to those posted. Thank you though!!!!!

July 11, 2012
12:41 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
6714sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

First things first...I've said it before and I'll say it again....THANK YOU DAVID FOR DOING ALL THE STUFF YOU DO WHICH NOBODY SHOULD EXPECT YOU TO DO!!! I APPRECIATE EVERY LAST BIT OF IT!

LOL...ok...now on to my 2 cents...

I've also experienced the problem with my x710 going silent...noticed it whenever I have been in vehicle mode to nearing the cache and it prompts me "would you like to continue via point-to-point" or something like that...say yes...navigate to cache, although sometimes it acts a bit funny and I end up having to manually select the geocaching profile....BUT, if I DON'T manually select the geocaching profile and then tell it to "GO TO" a cache that I select it asks "go to turn-by-turn" mode and I say yes it wont talk to me at all... I have to manually select another profile and then re-select the vehicle mode for it to begin to talk immediately. I see what someone else posted here about directions at the top of the screen stating what road to turn onto and which way to turn but it is silent......UNTIL...UNTIL that is, you get a ways down the road and THEN it begins to speak for some reason or another. Kinda wierd but not a "makes my day bad" kinda thing HA!

Just sharing.....and caring, Thanks David!

Hi jmebd,

After using vehicle profile and then switching to point-to-point to find the cache. You reset the Turn-by-Turn by pressing the vehicle profile even if is still shown as selected. If you do not do this Turn-by-Turn will not work.

This is really a route option and can be reset that way also but most users just press vehicle profile again after find each cache.

Graham.

July 11, 2012
12:06 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
6712sp_Permalink sp_Print

First things first...I've said it before and I'll say it again....THANK YOU DAVID FOR DOING ALL THE STUFF YOU DO WHICH NOBODY SHOULD EXPECT YOU TO DO!!! I APPRECIATE EVERY LAST BIT OF IT!

LOL...ok...now on to my 2 cents...

I've also experienced the problem with my x710 going silent...noticed it whenever I have been in vehicle mode to nearing the cache and it prompts me "would you like to continue via point-to-point" or something like that...say yes...navigate to cache, although sometimes it acts a bit funny and I end up having to manually select the geocaching profile....BUT, if I DON'T manually select the geocaching profile and then tell it to "GO TO" a cache that I select it asks "go to turn-by-turn" mode and I say yes it wont talk to me at all... I have to manually select another profile and then re-select the vehicle mode for it to begin to talk immediately. I see what someone else posted here about directions at the top of the screen stating what road to turn onto and which way to turn but it is silent......UNTIL...UNTIL that is, you get a ways down the road and THEN it begins to speak for some reason or another. Kinda wierd but not a "makes my day bad" kinda thing HA!

Just sharing.....and caring, Thanks David!

July 9, 2012
11:20 am
BarryG
Members
Forum Posts: 33
6668sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

I have found that if you plug your car power adaptor into the GPSr BEFORE you have turned on the accessory key of the vehicle, then it shuts down not only the voice of the turn-by-turn function, but also all the sound of your unit - eg the clicking sound when you tap the touch screen.

So to fix it, always make sure that the ignition key is on at least accessory - or just start the car!, before you put the adaptor plug into the GPSr.

Wow, very important info! I think that must be what happened.

Thanks!

July 9, 2012
10:34 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6666sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wish I could say yes, but I just don't see them reporting to us each month as to what they're doing.

David

July 9, 2012
7:25 am
pprass
Members
6663sp_Permalink sp_Print

David - my note was a badly and hastily worded rhetorical question. I know and appreciate that you are "the" facilitator and we are (or at least I am) more annoyed with Magellan than anyone on this forum.

Regarding not knowing what Magellan are upto or what their priorities are - I ask again. Would it be possible for Magellan to give us an updated list every month or so of what they are working on and what has been put on their list of issues to fix. In that way we can see if anything has been missed and we can then raise them again.

However in the end - I am so glad that you have a thick skin 🙂

July 9, 2012
5:15 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
6661sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi David,

You are just in the fortunate and lucky position of being the meat in the sandwich!!!!!

Graham.

July 9, 2012
4:40 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6658sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

This issue has been reported to Magellan and I don't know what they're going to do about it - since I don't work for them...

As far as your sarcasim, go ahead and take it out on me if it makes you feel better. I spent 21 years in the military before doing what I do now, so I'm a big boy I think I can handle it...

As far as the Richard thing, ok I've already taken a beating for it; but if people can't understand the value in something going from being a problem noted on a to do list verses someone on the development team actually experiencing the problem – ok, my bad…

David

David,

I'm as guilty of unnecessary sarcasm as anyone so I would like to offer a public apology to you, seeing as my sarcastic remarks were public.

This board works best if we all try to be polite and help each other.

I am sorry;

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 9, 2012
4:27 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6657sp_Permalink sp_Print

BarryG wrote:

Just recently acquired my 710 and have had the spoken turn-by-turn working fine previously. But after a hike today, I told the 710 to guide me home. Vehicle mode was activated, volume setting was on maximum, and the turn-by-turn directions were indicated at the top left of the screen. But no spoken directions at all were heard - totally silent.

Does anybody know the possible reasons a 710 would disable the spoken turn-by-turn?

Could a low battery possibly cause it (even though the DC adapter was plugged in while driving home)?

TIA

The only times my 710 has behaved that way is when I hit "Home" before I set it to Vehicle or had another details map up.
After changing the map or changing profile I had to cancel route and restart the route to get the voice/sounds to work.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 9, 2012
4:11 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6656sp_Permalink sp_Print

This issue has been reported to Magellan and I don't know what they're going to do about it - since I don't work for them...

As far as your sarcasim, go ahead and take it out on me if it makes you feel better. I spent 21 years in the military before doing what I do now, so I'm a big boy I think I can handle it...

As far as the Richard thing, ok I've already taken a beating for it; but if people can't understand the value in something going from being a problem noted on a to do list verses someone on the development team actually experiencing the problem – ok, my bad…

All I know is that these things are being worked, but just like you, I don’t set the priorities and I only know what I’m told. Although I have been given the opportunity to sit in on some meetings with the guys in the company and they’ve been great about listening to the input – at the end of the day I go back to my office that says, “Pastor’s Study” on the door and they go back to being Magellan!

David

July 9, 2012
2:00 am
pprass
Members
6649sp_Permalink sp_Print

BarryG wrote:

...even though the DC adapter was plugged in while driving home?

That's the problem right there which has been previously raised and who knows if Magellan are ever going to do anything about it!

I have found that if you plug your car power adaptor into the GPSr BEFORE you have turned on the accessory key of the vehicle, then it shuts down not only the voice of the turn-by-turn function, but also all the sound of your unit - eg the clicking sound when you tap the touch screen.

So to fix it, always make sure that the ignition key is on at least accessory - or just start the car!, before you put the adaptor plug into the GPSr.

David Carr - has this issue been forwarded to Magellan, or are we going to find out in 6 months that Richard went out caching and "discovered" that the voice doesn't work and will spring into action!
(sorry for the sarcasm, but I am currently having a bit of a problem in actually starting my GPSr's - refer General section 🙁 )

July 9, 2012
1:51 am
Morel
Guests
6648sp_Permalink sp_Print

BarryG wrote:

the turn-by-turn directions were indicated at the top left of the screen.

I don't see any thing on the screen that would indicate this. What do you see?

July 8, 2012
10:07 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
6646sp_Permalink sp_Print

The 710 is a lady. It is not unusual, that the ladies do not speak to you, when you return home.
Kidding. Don't know a answer, what causes the eX to disable the speach.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

July 8, 2012
9:52 pm
BarryG
Members
Forum Posts: 33

Just recently acquired my 710 and have had the spoken turn-by-turn working fine previously. But after a hike today, I told the 710 to guide me home. Vehicle mode was activated, volume setting was on maximum, and the turn-by-turn directions were indicated at the top left of the screen. But no spoken directions at all were heard - totally silent.

Does anybody know the possible reasons a 710 would disable the spoken turn-by-turn?

Could a low battery possibly cause it (even though the DC adapter was plugged in while driving home)?

TIA

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264