Google Earth On Explorist 710 | Maps | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Google Earth On Explorist 710
June 9, 2012
6:11 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6382sp_Permalink sp_Print

GOOD deal! That'll be nice..just hope they index and are searchable like the ones already on the unit.

June 9, 2012
2:52 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6378sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I just got a reply from Magellan and Richard told me that they're working on this very thing. In the near future we should be able to load KML files with customs POIs into the units...

David

June 8, 2012
5:20 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6372sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will ask our friendly Magellan GIS guy (Richard) about adding POIs to these units.

David

June 8, 2012
12:00 pm
jmebd
Members
6368sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kinda what I figured. I'm betting that pretty much all of those that are on the unit already (and there are a LOT of em I agree) were probably put in by those folks that made the atlas for magellan.

There have been times I'd kinda liked to been able to input some of my own POI's and have seen the user created POI folder on the unit but I didn't think they would index like the original ones had as I hadn't seen anywhere about inputting an actual POI and have it come up as a POI instead of just a waypoint (who'd want that yuck! Whole lotta waypoints already listed on the unit)

June 8, 2012
4:56 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6367sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh yeah, if you download the Cloudmade files to GSAK you should be able to load it to the 710 as waypoints.

I haven't tried it because I think it's redundant and it doesn't have as many POI as what's already on the 710 anyway.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 8, 2012
4:44 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6366sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why do you want the POIs on the 710 map?
That's a small screen, it will just clutter it up, making it hard to see the roads while zoomed out.
The POI list that came with the 710 has thousands of POI on it.
Just pick a category and it will show a list of the 50 closest to you.
It has worked perfectly from Maine to southern Florida for me.

I live 5 miles north of Boston.
Where are you using the 710?

BTW, I downloaded the Massachusetts.poi.gpx file from Cloudmade to a GSAK database and it listed 7 gas stations within 3.5 miles of my house, none closer than 1 mile.
The 710 POI list has 50 gas stations within 2.3 miles and the 7 within 3500 feet of my house are on the Magellan list!

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 8, 2012
1:52 am
jmebd
Members
6362sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a good site called Cloudmade that has a LOT of extract data from Openstreetmap data including a GPX of POI's either worldwide or grouped via country and/or state. You should be able to get those on the unit somehow but I've not messed with it yet...just pointing a finger for ya for what I've seen. If you get it done please post your results for the rest of us and you'll be forever appreciated and loved! LOL Hope that helps!

June 8, 2012
12:23 am
ScubaKen
Members
Forum Posts: 7
6361sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks jmebd,

Yea, I got the Maps4Me deal and have a map of where I want, but there are not alot of POI's on it. Google Earth has quite a bit of POI's and town names, etc that would be nice to have on the map. I started just manually copying the coordinates down and entering the waypoints in VP, but this is crazy.

Thanks

June 6, 2012
10:56 pm
jmebd
Members
6350sp_Permalink sp_Print

You'll get LOTS of different answers so I'll just voice my own opinion and/or way I do it...

I (along with a bunch of others) use something called MOBAC...if you search the forum under MAPS you'll see LOTS of post in there relating to what you are kinda looking for. The imagery and such will be a breeze....the POI's, well...different story....you'll most likely have to utilize what you already have that comes with the unit. There is also a maps4me.net site that has more up to date maps but is based upon openstreetmap data. Give n take.... seek and ye shall find!!!!

June 5, 2012
1:54 am
ScubaKen
Members
Forum Posts: 7

I use Google Earth alot and I was wondering if there was a way to get the info from a particular area, Town names, roads, POI's, etc. from Google Earth into vantage Point so I can then put them into my 710.

Thanks
ScubaKen

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400