610 or 710? | General GC | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
610 or 710?
May 23, 2012
2:07 pm
kymbo
Members
Forum Posts: 13
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6223sp_Permalink sp_Print

Taking all your comments into regard and all your great points I've ordered a 710, yeah it was a hundred bucks more but that will be offset with the extra maps and available storage. Thank you all for your invaluable input.
Kymbo

May 23, 2012
1:18 pm
WRW
Members
Forum Posts: 16
6221sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, my City Series map resides on my own SD card and I havne't noticed any performance issues. In my opinion, the memory of the unit itself isn't much of an issue because you can't select the City Series and Summit Series at the same time anyway. I guess it all depends on personal preference as to how the SD card is utilized.

My City Series is registered to my gps only but I suspect that purchasing it on an SD card could be utilized in multiple compatible units if that is desirable to anyone.

Having said that, I have changed the *.imi extension on a topo map to *.poi which turns it into an overlay map that can be seen with the City Series routable map.

With regard to my over all cost, I took advantage of the Magellan Loyalty trade-in offer (not sure if this is still available) and with the purchase of City Series on sale, the X610Canada cost me $336 which is half the price of a new X710 with City Series NA added on.

May 19, 2012
4:18 pm
Boondeck
Members
Forum Posts: 61
6148sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I think Magellan would rather have people buy the 710 instead of trying to retro-fit a 610 to sort of be a bit more like a 710 and then complain that the 610 doesn't work right and the $100 "upgrade" isn't worth it.

If you want the road routable map the 710 is the best bet, more memory for everything and you don't have to fool around trying to get a 610 to do more with less memory.

That's fine when you're starting from scratch, but there may well be a good number of 610 owners who might be interested in upgrading and purchasing a new 710 is not the way you want to go.

It does appear from what WRW wrote:

I have a X610 Canada with preloaded summit series topo for Canada. I then purchased the City Series NA maps online from Magellan when they had them on sale for almost 50% off. After purchasing the map and registering it to my unit's serial number I downloaded and copied it directly to my 8Gb SD card along with all of my other maps. No dedicated sd card required.

that it is possible to copy the routable map to your own memory card. As far as Magellan is concerned it is $100 more in their pocket.

May 19, 2012
10:47 am
kymbo
Members
6147sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks people, your insider info makes me believe the 710 is the way to go, just $100 bucks more than the 610 here in OZ makes it worthwhile for the extra memory alone. Great input, many thanks
Kymbo

May 19, 2012
10:40 am
kymbo
Members
6146sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks David, thats great feedback and just the sort of user info thats hard to pick up from the stat sheets. I take your points seriously and believe it will have to be the 710 for me

May 19, 2012
6:32 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
6145sp_Permalink sp_Print

WRW wrote:

I agree that if you want both the Summit and City Series maps, the 710 would be the best choice, but from a Canadian perspective I didn't see an X710 Canada model. The 710 appears to only be available with City Series for USA and there isn't a separate City Series Canada available to add on. The 710 is clearly geared for the US market so going with the 610 and North America map made sense to me.

Australia was the same as Canada,you could not purchase a 710. So the only option was to buy the 610 and an SD cards for the turn-by-turn.

Graham.

May 19, 2012
6:28 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
6144sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

Um....it was TOTALLY meant as a JOKE....

You should know, there is no joking on this forum.

Graham.
(Joke)

May 19, 2012
5:06 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
6142sp_Permalink sp_Print

Um....it was TOTALLY meant as a JOKE....

May 19, 2012
4:43 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6140sp_Permalink sp_Print

WRW wrote:

I agree that if you want both the Summit and City Series maps, the 710 would be the best choice, but from a Canadian perspective I didn't see an X710 Canada model. The 710 appears to only be available with City Series for USA and there isn't a separate City Series Canada available to add on. The 710 is clearly geared for the US market so going with the 610 and North America map made sense to me.

Yeah, but I wanted to drive in Canada so I added the North America City Series for my 710 for the Canadian routable map.
Yes it was $100 but I have the extra memory of the 710 instead of a 610 and there is a difference between the the USA & NA maps.
There are more POIs, here in Massachusetts, listed in the NA map than the USA map.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

May 19, 2012
4:31 am
phild31
Members
6138sp_Permalink sp_Print

Satellite maps of the desert would be much more useful than satellite maps of a heavily forested area.
A satellite image of a forest shows the tops of a bunch of trees and hardly anything else.
Trails, tracks or small dirt roads are under the canopy.
Topos are much more useful in the forest.

In the desert a satellite image would show roads, tracks, trails, vegetation and good routes out of potentially dangerous areas.
In fact the more open the area the more useful a satellite image is.

May 19, 2012
4:17 am
WRW
Members
6137sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I think Magellan would rather have people buy the 710 instead of trying to retro-fit a 610 to sort of be a bit more like a 710 and then complain that the 610 doesn't work right and the $100 "upgrade" isn't worth it.

If you want the road routable map the 710 is the best bet, more memory for everything and you don't have to fool around trying to get a 610 to do more with less memory.

May 19, 2012
4:05 am
Sorceress
Members
Forum Posts: 75
6135sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually satellite maps of the desert are quite useful in life saving situations. For example, think "water" as under the green vegetation and cactus are water and eats. :ohmy:

May 19, 2012
3:38 am
phild31
Members
6134sp_Permalink sp_Print

May 19, 2012
3:28 am
WRW
Members
6133sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a X610 Canada with preloaded summit series topo for Canada. I then purchased the City Series NA maps online from Magellan when they had them on sale for almost 50% off. After purchasing the map and registering it to my unit's serial number I downloaded and copied it directly to my 8Gb SD card along with all of my other maps. No dedicated sd card required.

May 19, 2012
2:52 am
Boondeck
Members
Forum Posts: 61
6131sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Here is a major difference between the eX610 and eX710 - Memory!!!

The eX610 has 4Gb of internal memory so that it can hold the basemap as well as the Summit Series TOPOs within the internal memory and then also has the capability to add maps via SD Card; however, if you wanted to purchase the road routable maps and use them, then they come on a ID secured SD card which has a memory capacity just large enough to hold the maps and you can't copy them to the unit for can you use them without the SD card installed in your GPS, therefore your ability to use the road routing maps as well as adding any custom or additional maps is going to be very, very limited.

The eX710, however, comes with 8Gb of internal memory which allows it to hold the basemap, Summit Series TOPO maps as well as the City Series road routable maps as well as having the SD Card to add additional maps. Currently I have a 16Gb SD Card in mine with 6,600+ Sq miles for Satellite maps of the Mojave Desert loaded on it.
So, if the road routable maps of Australia come preloaded on the eX710 and you want to use the road routing capability, then I highly suggest the eX710. If you’re not concerned with using the road routing capabilities, then the eX610 will work fine for you.

Also, please keep in mind that if you don't want the road routable capabilities, you can always back up the maps and then clear them off of the unit to open up more internal memory for adding maps there...

And of course, Graham has already told you all of this anyway!!!

David

It seems to me that Magellan is limiting its own sales. You've given the perfect explanation why one wouldn't want to spend the $100 to upgrade a 610. Is there some practical reason why Magellan couldn't sell the road routable memory card with the capacity to add other maps as well? If they did they might entice more 610 owners to spend more money.

May 19, 2012
1:59 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
6129sp_Permalink sp_Print

Satellite maps of the desert??? LOL HA HA!!!! That show every cactus and tumbleweed or what? :woohoo:

May 18, 2012
7:17 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6128sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a major difference between the eX610 and eX710 - Memory!!!

The eX610 has 4Gb of internal memory so that it can hold the basemap as well as the Summit Series TOPOs within the internal memory and then also has the capability to add maps via SD Card; however, if you wanted to purchase the road routable maps and use them, then they come on a ID secured SD card which has a memory capacity just large enough to hold the maps and you can't copy them to the unit for can you use them without the SD card installed in your GPS, therefore your ability to use the road routing maps as well as adding any custom or additional maps is going to be very, very limited.

The eX710, however, comes with 8Gb of internal memory which allows it to hold the basemap, Summit Series TOPO maps as well as the City Series road routable maps as well as having the SD Card to add additional maps. Currently I have a 16Gb SD Card in mine with 6,600+ Sq miles for Satellite maps of the Mojave Desert loaded on it.
So, if the road routable maps of Australia come preloaded on the eX710 and you want to use the road routing capability, then I highly suggest the eX710. If you’re not concerned with using the road routing capabilities, then the eX610 will work fine for you.

Also, please keep in mind that if you don't want the road routable capabilities, you can always back up the maps and then clear them off of the unit to open up more internal memory for adding maps there...

And of course, Graham has already told you all of this anyway!!!

David

May 18, 2012
11:28 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
6123sp_Permalink sp_Print

kymbo wrote:

Thanks, thats just the kind of feedback I need. I have a Nuvi 1450 for the road so wouldn't need those maps but the lack of a SD slot is a biggy against the 610

The 610 has an SD slot.

So if you don't need to use the slot for turn-by turn then it is available for other uses.

Graham.

May 18, 2012
9:02 am
kymbo
Members
6122sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, thats just the kind of feedback I need. I have a Nuvi 1450 for the road so wouldn't need those maps but the lack of a SD slot is a biggy against the 610

May 18, 2012
8:51 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
6121sp_Permalink sp_Print

The two units are basically identical except the 710 has the City Series maps that provide turn-by turn capabilities and slightly more internal memory to allow for the city series maps.

You can buy the 610 and spend $100 on the City Series maps on a SD card and that achieves the same features and functionality as the 710. The only drawback is the SD slot is then not available to use as additional memory for photos and other maps you may create.

Graham.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264