x710 missing entire state parks of trails (POI) | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
x710 missing entire state parks of trails (POI)
July 6, 2011
3:30 am
Morel
Guests
3589sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is VP with gpx trail files loaded and the custom overlay map active that has the area trails incorporated on the map image.

Here are a few screenshots on the 710 with the trail files loaded. Also showing them with the rmp map active and without.

This is one of my trails with a MOBAC aerial map active

The .tpo trail files were downloaded from localhikes.com. Then converted to .gpx with gpsvisualizer's online tool. Imported these to VP then added them to the 710.

July 5, 2011
4:26 am
loudspl
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3583sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks! I see where it highlights the Pinnacle Pass and Rim of the Gap trails on your screen shots. PM sent..

July 5, 2011
2:40 am
Morel
Guests
3581sp_Permalink sp_Print

Trails within state park areas are not typically part of map data sets. Many of them within national lands are. You can usually find trail data or trail maps of state and local areas by searching on line and then using that data and converting it or incorporating it somehow into your gps unit. Here is an example of the area you are looking for. Shown in Vantage Point and on the Ex710.

Attached files

shot00006-20110704.png

July 3, 2011
2:11 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
3574sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can upload the trails as gpx files in MOBAC and make your own maps.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

July 3, 2011
4:45 am
loudspl
Members
3570sp_Permalink sp_Print

It looks like I will have to pioneer this myself. I'm on trails.com and I don't see where anyone has uploaded .gpx files of any of those trails to the "GPS beta" tab under the trail descriptions. Even if I do this how do you get the databases that Magellan, Garmin, Delorme, etc. all use to show these trails? Who actually puts trails into their databases?

July 3, 2011
3:38 am
Morel
Guests
3568sp_Permalink sp_Print

loudspl wrote:

if I can't get it to display the trails I hike on most often, it will go on Ebay and I will get another brand that does show the trails.

Good luck with that, straight out of the box. Google Earth doesn't show the trails, NG Topo doesn't show much except 4x4 trails. The good part is you can record your track when hiking the trails and they will show up very accurate then. The other possibility with the explorist is you can make your own custom maps to show those trails. Research hiking websites to see if there are trails that can be downloaded/converted to use in the explorist. Trails.com, Localhikes.com, etc

July 3, 2011
1:46 am
loudspl
Members
3567sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have tried zooming in when I am in those areas and it still does not show trails

I have also downloaded the "maps4me" maps for the area as well....and still no luck

It is not a national park or federal land IIRC. The area is called "Mountain Bridge Wilderness" and includes the 2 state parks I mentioned

The unit does seem to do better with listing trails in the Pisgah National Forest, which I also live near but if I can't get it to display the trails I hike on most often, it will go on Ebay and I will get another brand that does show the trails. Hard to justify a $500 unit if it doesn't show popular trails in my area..

July 3, 2011
12:24 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
3566sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dunno about those specific trails or area that you are from but if you just do a general look on the map and zoom in you "should" have those trails show up on your unit just fine. There are many trails around me that are included with the default maps included with the unit. I've never done the POI thing trying to find a trail but I think that is more for finding places like gas, lodging, places to eat, hospitals, airports, etc.....

Just drag the map around to an area you are interested in and zoom down to about 1/4 mile detail and you'll probably be pretty surprised....I know I was....not all of the trails around me are on it but there are quite a few. I'm still a newbie user but I "think" there are ways to put customized maps with trails (overlays or something) into the unit for use out on the "trail" LOL.....

This is really a great unit....after doing the "magic fix" for the recent firmware update....but that is another story for another thread LOL. I think you'll really like it....just give it a chance and try to have fun. I kinda wish they had included a more detailed manual with this thing....you almost need to take a class on some of the things it can do HA! Really....area calculations??? Hmm...wonder what kind of cache I can make with that sort of thing??????? Hmmm.... LOL

July 2, 2011
11:27 pm
loudspl
Members

Bought the 710 to use primarily for hiking trails in the Caesars Head and Jones Gap state parks in South Carolina. Found out it doesn't show ANY of the trails under "POI" when you scroll and select "Trails"!!

These parks and trails are not new by any means. They have been around for 50+ years. Does anyone here hike in that area or know if any of the Garmins or Delormes show trails around those parks??

I have hiked most of the trails in these parks but I will sell this thing if I can't get it to have accurate data... 🙁

(I am running the 5.93 software)

Anyone with any info please help!!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply