x710 Issues: Screen lock, leg selection, brightnes | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
x710 Issues: Screen lock, leg selection, brightnes
March 17, 2012
7:58 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5466sp_Permalink sp_Print

Patrack wrote:

Second problem is selecting a leg when walking on a route. Sometimes when the way point is out the GPS doesn't realise that you have passed that point on should be going to the next one. On the Explorist 600 you simply selected the next leg using the menu. I can't see how to do this?

This problem was present in the eX 310. In version 1.17, it is corrected. In the context menu the first two items "Next Point", "Previous Point". I think it will be fixed soon in other models.

March 17, 2012
5:03 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5465sp_Permalink sp_Print

For scrolling any screen you have to keep your finger on the screen firmly to scroll.
It takes some practice because it is a slightly different feel than a smart phone screen.
I was used to just flicking the iPhone screen but doing that won't work on the type of touch screen on these units.

I have a Meridian Platinum, Explorist XL, Triton 2000 and I've used and coached people on an Explorist 500, believe me, once you have learned the controls of the 710 you will love it.
It does have a bit of a learning curve but it's worth working through it.

By the way, download the user manual from Magellan if you haven't already, the paper manual that came with it is just a starter instructions manual.

And don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 17, 2012
4:35 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
5464sp_Permalink sp_Print

For creating and following a route I made a short web page.
Go to this link to see it - Route creation

Basically, while navigating the route tap options menu (bottom right of four corner) and you can goto next or bring up the points list.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 17, 2012
4:33 am
Patrack
Members
Forum Posts: 5
5463sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks very much. It is a pity there isn't a "one touch" for lock screen but as you say I will get used to it.

I will practice scrolling down the route screen.

Pat
(PS. Now that I know how to use the anchor alarm I just need to get a boat 🙂 )

March 17, 2012
3:18 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
5461sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. Screen lock ... I do Touch Screen - bottom-right corner - scroll down(using menu scroll arrow 2-3 touches) - Lock Screen. That's the quickest way I know of and I've been doing it like this since I've bought mine.

2. The Next Waypoint I can't help with...

3. Scrolling down the Route screen - Touch and Drag the screen Upwards, from the bottom - up, in a throwing motion, so to speak. It will usually go the distance you drag your finger, but when doing this on the map to pan the map it'll continue a bit farther.

4. Even on maximum brightness the screen isn't quite as readable as a non-touchscreen unit, which is an inherent trait of touchscreen units. I had older explorists and a Triton before my 610, I know what you're talking about. Maybe they'll come out with a brighter backlight setting one day.

Anchor Alarm --- TouchScreen - Menu (B-Left) - Tools (B-Center) - Settings - Alarms is on the 2nd page in that menu. You'll have to scroll (drag) the screen as mentioned above, Anchor is in there, among many other choices of alarms. There's even an alarm clock, and if you hunt you might find this handy, when there's no cell phone reception (you normally park the phone and leave it off at that time anyway.

Give the unit a chance. I know change is difficult when you're so accustomed to a good working unit that you know. You'll get to know this one and come to love it, like the majority of us.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 17, 2012
12:26 am
Patrack
Members
Forum Posts: 5

I have recently acquired an Explorist 710 after having an Explorist 600 for many happy years. The only reason I upgraded was that the zoom in button broke.
I am having difficulty with the 710 on several fronts.

Firstly, every time it bumps into something or I put it in a pouch the touch screen senses a "touch" and things change. I want to be able to lock the screen easily without going through several menus. Ideally by pushing one of the external buttons. Any advice?

Second problem is selecting a leg when walking on a route. Sometimes when the way point is out the GPS doesn't realise that you have passed that point on should be going to the next one. On the Explorist 600 you simply selected the next leg using the menu. I can't see how to do this?

Speaking of the list of waypoints on the route screen it is very hard to scroll down the list onto the next screen. Most screens have up and down arrows but this doesn't. I can do it by using a twig as a stylus and dragging down the bar on the right hand side but this is very fiddly.

I also find the screen hard to read on a sunny day particularly the green arrow over a green map. I have brightness turned up full.

Does anyone know if there is an "anchor alarm" feature. I thought I had read about it before buying but I might have got confused with another brand.

At the moment I would swap it for a working Explorist 600 but hopefully there are simple ways around these issues.

Thanks

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply