x610 screen visibility question | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
x610 screen visibility question
April 10, 2011
12:14 am
weaver1308
Members
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2271sp_Permalink sp_Print

weaver1308 wrote:

SO, my question is, are there any tricks that people use to make the screen more readable? I'm thinking the bright, no contrast visibility caused by the weather conditions might have contributed to the screen visibility problem but this weather pattern is supposed to stick around for a few days.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Walt

Okay, I'm the OP and since I posted this I've made a few tweaks on how I'm using the x610 in my car, all pretty simple. First, I use the power cable. Second, I turned the brightness all the way up. That's it. The screen is very easy to read now. Thanks to all for the hints/suggestions.

--Walt

April 8, 2011
1:32 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2241sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's correct. I've noticed this and it's a good tattle-tale that you've lost your usb plugin when the backlight goes out ... lol!

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 8, 2011
1:23 pm
Morel
Guests
2240sp_Permalink sp_Print

KI4HLW wrote:

Better yet would be independent settings where the unit would detect battery power and auto increase the brightness and turn off the backlight timeout! Most laptops can do this and it is great.

Do you mean external power? Because the unit already does this.

April 8, 2011
3:14 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
2237sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:
I would enjoy seeing a 25% increase to the brightest setting of the backlight, and have it only available when the unit is on external power, to prevent overly fast drain of the batteries. I don't know if it's possible to increase brightness thru the settings or firmware, or if it's a limit of the backlight itself. Perhaps something that our friendly insiders could get an answer for.

Better yet would be independent settings where the unit would detect battery power and auto increase the brightness and turn off the backlight timeout! Most laptops can do this and it is great.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

April 8, 2011
1:45 am
weaver1308
Members
2235sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I can read the screen of my 710, on the windshield of my truck, on a bright sunny day and a bright overcast day.
Set the screen brightness to the highest setting.
Battery or power cord does not matter.

A smaller, non-touchscreen device is brighter than any touchscreen device.

Just curious, but why did you compare it with anything with the light turned off?
With the light off you have to get just the right angle to the light source (the sun) to see the screen at all.

Thanks for the info. I didn't take into account the differences in the screens. And no, I didn't have the brightness turned all the way up. I'll fiddle around with it tomorrow.

-- Walt

April 8, 2011
12:07 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2234sp_Permalink sp_Print

weaver1308 wrote:

The weather here today (Montana) is overcast, snowy, but very bright. I'll have to say that I was disappointed with the screen visibility with the backlight off. Even with the backlight on the screen was dim. A caveat: I did not hook up the included power cable. It was running on battery juice only. During my test drive I also had my Garmin eTrex Vista in its mount and the screen, despite its smaller size, was MUCH easier to read then the x610's.

SO, my question is, are there any tricks that people use to make the screen more readable? I'm thinking the bright, no contrast visibility caused by the weather conditions might have contributed to the screen visibility problem but this weather pattern is supposed to stick around for a few days.

I noticed EXACTLY the same thing, bright sun, snow, water puddles reflecting the sun, snow reflecting the sun. Same effect. On a cloudy day its much better. No fault of the mount, simply the effect of having lots of ambient light coming into the vehicle from the front. Your pupils dilate more to block the excess light, and the interior of the veh. appears dark.

I'm a mechanic and see the same effect while inspecting a car in the sunlight. You can't see anything under the hood with the sun out. Brin it in the shop, and you see everything just fine.

My 610 is always plugged in while driving, and on the brightest setting, whereas my Triton 500 could be set to a much lower setting in the same light conditions.

I would enjoy seeing a 25% increase to the brightest setting of the backlight, and have it only available when the unit is on external power, to prevent overly fast drain of the batteries. I don't know if it's possible to increase brightness thru the settings or firmware, or if it's a limit of the backlight itself. Perhaps something that our friendly insiders could get an answer for.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 7, 2011
9:21 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2228sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can read the screen of my 710, on the windshield of my truck, on a bright sunny day and a bright overcast day.
Set the screen brightness to the highest setting.
Battery or power cord does not matter.

A smaller, non-touchscreen device is brighter than any touchscreen device.

Just curious, but why did you compare it with anything with the light turned off?
With the light off you have to get just the right angle to the light source (the sun) to see the screen at all.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 7, 2011
8:12 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2226sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are differences between a touchscreen and a non touchscreen device.
The Garmin has no digitizer foil over the screen, as the eXplorist has.
So there must be a difference between those both units.
Please check: have you used the most brightest setting? When in battery mode, I lower the brightness, for power saving...

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 7, 2011
8:05 pm
weaver1308
Members

Today I received the Magellan suction cup windshield mount in the mail. Took it out of the box, put it together (took about a minute) and decided to take it for a spin. I attached the x610 to the mount, attached the mount to the windshield, fired the GPSr up and took off after it got a lock.

The weather here today (Montana) is overcast, snowy, but very bright. I'll have to say that I was disappointed with the screen visibility with the backlight off. Even with the backlight on the screen was dim. A caveat: I did not hook up the included power cable. It was running on battery juice only. During my test drive I also had my Garmin eTrex Vista in its mount and the screen, despite its smaller size, was MUCH easier to read then the x610's.

One quick note: this is not a slam on the mount itself. It works great, although for me it's kind of a stopgap until RAM finally ships its Explorist mount. I have one on order.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Walt

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply