X10 series Q&A session. | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
X10 series Q&A session.
December 11, 2010
5:14 am
capjap
Members
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1013sp_Permalink sp_Print

Double...no triple...thanks.

Canadians could get the US version and then pay an additional $100 or so for maps, but I would rather pay for what I am going to use and save myself the extra $100. Anxiously awaiting news on a Canadian edition.

December 10, 2010
11:02 pm
kareve
Members
Forum Posts: 6
1012sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you!

December 10, 2010
3:39 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1006sp_Permalink sp_Print

Frank,

I sent a message tonight so we should have an answer in the next day or so...

David

December 10, 2010
2:19 am
kareve
Members
Forum Posts: 6
1005sp_Permalink sp_Print

Christmas is coming soon and I still can't see any Canadian versions of the new eXplorist :unsure:

Can someone on the inside find out what's happening?

I see the city series North America for routing but still no news on the 610 with a summit series Canada...

Frank

December 8, 2010
7:10 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
999sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sarge104 wrote:

On another note, I've finally found the field that showed how long the units been operational in the dash board. The "time traveled" displays 1.6 days. I know this probably takes into account being hooked up to the computer, the couple of hours it was on the alkalines, among any other external power sources; but the last set of batteries lasted over three times as long as my triton would have...I'm happy with the unit in yet another way 😀

The "time traveled" field seems to display the time the unit has been turned on.
Here's two screenshots;
The first I took in my living room.
Then I cleared trip time.
This will be an easy way to determine battery life.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 8, 2010
6:35 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
997sp_Permalink sp_Print

With my 710;

It stays in suspend mode until I take it out by pressing power button.

So far I leave the light on high & it stays that way.

The compass shows the red icon (needs to recalibrate) every time I turn it on, bring it out of suspend, change from driving profile to geocaching profile or change batteries. But it recalibrates itself (red icon changes to gold/yellow) in about 15 seconds without me doing anything but move a little bit.
I calibrated the compass once when I first got it and haven't since.

Do you mean the active track or saved tracks?
You can clear the active track any time from settings - tracks - active track - delete.
For saved tracks, on maps options - show tracks - off.

I will usually clear the active track when I get back to my truck.
The active track will always show on the map so it's best to save it if you want to keep it, then clear active track.

Yeah, the arrow is way too big, needs to be half that size.

Battery life has been good, kill the compass and barometer and keep the backlight down to what you need to get better life.
7-9 hours with rechargeable, 10-12 with the compass & barometer off and light set low.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 7, 2010
9:55 pm
hill2goup
Members
Forum Posts: 26
986sp_Permalink sp_Print

Exp 610 Just a couple of questions and statement's.

Suspend - When I put it in suspend mode after a few minutes it comes out of suspend. Not every time but I would say about 30%.

Back light - I set the back light to low but it doesn't stay on the low setting all the time. After shutting down and then back on the back light is about 1/2. And I can reproduce this. Percentage not known at this time but I will keep a record of it.

Compass - Is it normal to have to recalibrate the compass after shutting off the unit and turning it back on? This also happens in suspend mode. But then again not all the time and I will record this also.

Sunday was the first time we used the 610 for traveling and a few, 7, geocaches, no DNF's. It did an excellent job in every aspect. (Except for the above) Accuracy was right on, as good as the coordinates of the one that placed the cache.(Which is sometimes questionable)

I just wish that the track could be turned off, am I missing something?

And the large arrow pointer does cover the icon on the map screen. My driveway is a "U" shape around my house and when coming home I can't see the house icon and very little of the drive even at 100 ft. And from the outside of the driveway, say coming in side, to the outside of the other side, say going out side, of the drive is about 300 ft distance. Hope this is clear.

Good battery life. I got about 7 hours with rechargeable batteries but they have been charged hundred's of times as I've had them since at least 2006. radio Shack IC3 2000mAh Ni-Mh.

December 5, 2010
7:53 pm
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
964sp_Permalink sp_Print

Appreciate the info Sockey & Brent. Took the unit and found I mearly had to slide the metal retainer and it works fine...that little thing was peeving me to no end.

On another note, I've finally found the field that showed how long the units been operational in the dash board. The "time traveled" displays 1.6 days. I know this probably takes into account being hooked up to the computer, the couple of hours it was on the alkalines, among any other external power sources; but the last set of batteries lasted over three times as long as my triton would have...I'm happy with the unit in yet another way 😀

December 5, 2010
6:42 pm
Brent Owen
Members
Forum Posts: 56
963sp_Permalink sp_Print

The SD card should not pop out every time you take out the batteries. Make sure that after you fold down the metal SD card "cover" you slide it down a little. Perhaps you are not locking it in place.

December 5, 2010
6:40 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
962sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sarge104 wrote:

6. Trouble shooting envolved take out/replacement of the batteries, ensuring that the sd card was properly seated (hate that it pops out everytime you take out the batteries)

The metal lid that covers the SD card has a slider functionality. If you push it forward it locks the SD card, so it does not pop out.

BR
Sockeye

December 5, 2010
5:45 pm
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
961sp_Permalink sp_Print

Okay, here is the scenario;

1. GPS was running on Energizer Lithium Advanced batteries for close to 20 hours.

2. Battery meter showed that a quarter battery strength remained.

3. Booted GPSr in building and noticed that I was able to pick up seven sats...presumebly through the walls or the small window 40ft away *WOW*. Played with unit a bit showing "Festivus" event attendees the unit functions before shutting it down.

4.Booted unit a second time before leaving laying in a route to a nearby cache....I presume that the sat lock hadn't been achieved yet.

5. Noticed that the unit emited a short burst from the speaker ending with a slight crackle. Further attempts at turning on the unit either failed at the boot screen with 33-36 percent of the database loaded or after loading and showing battery power remaining unit would emit the same noise before blanking the screen.

6. Trouble shooting envolved take out/replacement of the batteries, ensuring that the sd card was properly seated (hate that it pops out everytime you take out the batteries), then finally a fresh set of Alkalines to presumably solve the problem.

7. Have not used the unit for very long since but I would presume that it had the same functions as the tritons when it came to battery management like shutting off the speakers and turning down the backlight if needed to keep the unit running. I received no low battery indications at any time during trouble shooting.

November 14, 2010
1:57 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
786sp_Permalink sp_Print

After using my 610 for a few days, I have some questions. Hope they are not too tedious :unsure:

1. Maybe the “Cancel Route” should read “Cancel Route/WPT”
2. Can the “Cancel Route/WPT” option be placed higher on the options list, or can we program the order that we want those options listed?
3. Why does the zoom level remain at the level that is on the Map screen after viewing a WPT on the “View on Map” screen”. On the 600 it would revert back to the zoom level that you had on the map before doing a "view".
4. Can Child WPTs (Geocaching secondary WPT’s) be included in the same file as the Geocaching WPT’s? They were in the 600.
5. Can images be included in the geocaching downloads?
6. The arrow on the compass indicating the direction to the WPT is a bit tiny. On the 600 there was a thick arrow that went right across the compass and it was red from the centre of the compass to the tip of the arrow – excellent graphic! Can this be done on the 610?
7. On the other hand the “Position Indicator” arrow is too big. Need to be able to select options for size.
8. Map colour is too dark for areas between suburban streets (housing?) It is a dark olive green – should be possibly light blue or some pastel colour. (Discover Aus Topo)
9. Why does toggling from Map View 2D to 3D cause the “Map Orientation” to change from “North Up” to “Track Up”.
10. Changing co-ords on WPT’s is cumbersome. Can you skip across to the digit that you want to change instead of having to key in all of the digits to say get to the last one that needs changing?
11. Need to be able to view new WPT’s on the map before saving – as in the 600.

November 2, 2010
5:23 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
696sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use an ordinary car usb plug.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

November 2, 2010
4:53 pm
Wanderer
Members
Forum Posts: 9
695sp_Permalink sp_Print

By "any USB cord" do you mean ones like you can charge a phone from the cigar lighter?

I've plugged it into my lap top and seen those options. I'm wondering if I can get power from the car/motorcycle battery.

Don't want to fry my new toy in the first week.

November 2, 2010
2:50 pm
S!G
Members
694sp_Permalink sp_Print

Q1: I have 8 GB Kingston card. Should work up to 32 GB
Q2: Any USB-Cord. When you plug in, you can choose PC conection or power supply only.

HAVE FUN!!!

November 2, 2010
2:47 pm
Wanderer
Members
Forum Posts: 9
693sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all,

Got my x710 yesterday. WAHOO!!

Q1: any limit to the size of micro SD card, what is recommended?

Q2:What can I use for a DC power cord to save batteries in the car/motorcycle when going cross country?

The learning curve appears small and lots of fun....

tia
Mel

October 29, 2010
7:52 pm
S!G
Members
684sp_Permalink sp_Print

Du kannst die Basemap (1,2 GB) vom 610 auch auf die SD-karte kopieren. Dann hast Du schon 1,7 GB frei.

Die angegebene Speichergröße ist der freie Speicher, wenn die jeweiligen Karten auf dem Gerät installiert sind.
Firmware sind etwa 160 MB, wenn ich mich recht erinnere.

October 29, 2010
7:48 pm
Sockeye
Members
683sp_Permalink sp_Print

ExperienceGeography wrote:

Q: are there any hardware differences between the x610 and the x710?
A: Yes, the 710 have a larger flash memory - 8GB compared to 4GB.

??
Magellan has updated the Specs...

Magellan Website wrote:

wrote:
Product Number
TX0710SGXUSDevice
Available User Storage 3.5 GB
CPU 400MHz

Magellan Website wrote:

Magellan Website wrote:
Product Number
TX0610SGXUSDevice
Available User Storage 500 MB
CPU 400MHz

:ohmy:

Does this mean 3.5 GB Firmware for the X610 and 4.5GB Firmware for the x710?

October 29, 2010
7:39 pm
S!G
Members
682sp_Permalink sp_Print

don't know either :silly:

October 29, 2010
7:37 pm
Sockeye
Members
681sp_Permalink sp_Print

S!G wrote:

OK, 510 & 710 seem to be available in 1-2 month. Have looked for the 610, which is claimed to be in stock.

I don't know what they sell there (they do not ship it to the EU), but other retailers do not expect it before November 8th

BR
Sockeye

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply