X10 series Q&A session. | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
X10 series Q&A session.
January 7, 2011
4:33 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1186sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are right about data use, the GC.com app it burns it up.
I have an unlimited data plan so that consideration never comes into my mind as a problem. :blush:

The only time I use the phone is to bring up the nearest caches list to log field notes, read descriptions, check for caches not on my PQs or to find a cache when I don't have my 710 with me.
I don't like geosphere myself, whatever floats your boat I guess, as long as you are happy with it. 😛

I have thousands of caches loaded on the 710 so I see no reason to load any PQs to my phone.

When I'm on a long trip I have the lap top with me so I can load the 710 with whatever I need where ever I am.

I've got a 'Where's Timmy' app to find Tim Hortons coffee shops. 🙂
And the Magellan Roadmate app can find almost anything & give me driving directions to it.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 7, 2011
2:35 am
capjap
Members
Forum Posts: 33
1185sp_Permalink sp_Print

I disagree...I have had the gc.com app from the beginning and I hate it...I find it quite cumbersome to find a cache unless you know the gc code. It takes forever to load. I find it difficult to navigate through the screens to find what I am looking for. It uses data ALL THE TIME.

Geosphere you can upload your pq's, upload field notes, and do everything that you can do on the gc.com website except search for nearby caches unless they are already in your pq. I found another app called Seek Cache that does that very neatly and easily. Since I got geosphere I have never used gc.com app

The other apps I use is IGCT and Eat-a-rama. The toolkit does some neat little things that have been more than useful on some cache hunts. And eat-a-rama is great to find a nearby place to get a coffee, bathroom break or lunch.

January 6, 2011
3:05 pm
Dustydew
Members
Forum Posts: 28
1184sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Go to 'dashboard' , data only.
You can edit the # of fields.

Hey! Thank you phil! That helps. I reduced to 3 fields and moved the coordinates to the top!

January 6, 2011
4:57 am
phild31
Members
1180sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dustydew wrote:

Dustydew wrote:

I guess I am old-fashioned - I don't have an IPhone or anything similar. I have a cell phone that is only does phone calls, no learning curve there! 😛

That sounds familiar, my nephews and nieces pestered me for years to get into the 20th century before it ended! 😛

Now that I'm retired I've got all kinds of high-tech toys.
I'm the tech expert in the family now and that's a lot like the almost blind leading the blind. :laugh:

January 6, 2011
4:39 am
phild31
Members
1179sp_Permalink sp_Print

Go to 'dashboard' , data only.
You can edit the # of fields.

The fonts may not be huge but nothing's perfect. 😉

January 6, 2011
3:44 am
Dustydew
Members
1178sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dustydew wrote:

I love my new GPS, but there are some things I still like more with my Triton 2000.

One thing I like better on my T2000 is the screen I could pull up with the coordinates on it - where I can make them big enough to see with my old eyes. On the 710 the coordinate numbers are very small and both in the same box.

I guess I am old-fashioned - I don't have an IPhone or anything similar. I have a cell phone that is only does phone calls, no learning curve there! 😛

January 6, 2011
3:11 am
phild31
Members
1177sp_Permalink sp_Print

No, the Geocaching.com app is the very best app to use.
It brings up a list of closest caches from your position, you can load PQs to it if you want, you can send unlimited field notes to GC.com if you have a 3G or WiFi signal. It can navigate to the cache with a compass and with road, topo or satellite maps.
You can bring up the cache page or just the info like description, hints, photos, recent logs, a note pad to record TB numbers and you can log the find right from the app, including dropping and retrieving TBs.
It's worth every penny it costs and it's a one time cost.
The only other app worth having is the geocaching tool kit, it does coordinate conversions, projects waypoints, gives distance & bearing between waypoints, can plot intersecting lines and circles, decrypt ROT13 hints and convert roman numerals.

I've got GCBuddy, Geosphere, GPS ebook, GPS Kit and GeopherLite, none of them are close to as good or useful as the Geocaching.com APP.

If the iPhone was a more accurate GPSr and 3G was available in the boondocks it (with GC.com app) would be the only tool you need for geocaching.

January 6, 2011
2:01 am
capjap
Members
1175sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I use geosphere and it is a great iphone app. However I used up my data on my last caching trip and needed a secondary method to upload field notes.

January 5, 2011
10:09 pm
phild31
Members
1173sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dustydew wrote:

Maybe someone else out there has a shorter route to take to do these actions, and I am all for hearing it!! I love my new GPS, but there are some things I still like more with my Triton 2000. I guess I will get used to the 710 soon enough... 🙂

A shorter route to submit field notes is I use my iPhone, the field notes are sent right from the cache, no typing, no connecting to the computer, the notes are waiting for me on my GC.com account.

I can't think of a single thing my Triton 2000 does better, or as well as the 710.
I really like the Triton but the 710 has a better screen, camera, recorder, speaker, controls, software, memory, cable connector, well you get my point right?
To get the most out of the Triton I had to use work-arounds and user created software.
The 710 right out of the box is much better!
I even get to use my own background images on the 710! :laugh:

January 5, 2011
2:45 pm
Dustydew
Members
1171sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just figured this one out, and it is cool!
Connect your GPS to you computer.
Open Geocaching.com and log in
Go down Your Profile page to the "Access Your Field Notes" on the right side near the bottom.
Click on that and it opens Supported Devises. Go down the list to the Magellan Explorist and click on the link.
This opens another screen with directions. Click on the Magellan tab and read. Then "browse" to your connected GPS (it will say Magellan).
In this file you will find logs.txt
Click on it, then go back and click upload Field Notes on Geocaching.com
All your notes (finds, didn't find, needs maintenance,etc) will appear on gc.com.
Now you still need to click on each one, check your log, add to your log or whatever, then click the submit log at the bottom of the page.
(Oh... and you need to delete that logs.txt file on your GPS or you will get the same logs next time you download.)

I haven't done a lot yet, but it seems cumbersome typing all I like to say about a cache I found on the little pad in the 710, so I am just marking the 'found' and making note if I take or leave a trackable, and then adding to my log once I have it uploaded to the computer.

One thing I discovered on Sunday, I placed a geocache and went through all the steps on the 710, but it will NOT download to the computer, so I had to just look at the info on the GPS and type it into the online form.

Maybe someone else out there has a shorter route to take to do these actions, and I am all for hearing it!! I love my new GPS, but there are some things I still like more with my Triton 2000. I guess I will get used to the 710 soon enough... 🙂

January 5, 2011
2:38 pm
phild31
Members
1170sp_Permalink sp_Print

On your profile page at GC.com scroll down and on the right, just above your inventory you will see 'Access your field notes' click that, scroll down to 'Magellan - eXplorist GPS Receivers' click on the 'here' link.
Under instuctions click Magellan for instructions to upload field notes.

January 5, 2011
2:08 pm
capjap
Members
1169sp_Permalink sp_Print

"When you mark a cache as found and then enter a log it is entered in the log.txt file in the Geocaches directory which can be loaded to GC.com as a Field Note Log from which you can log the cache. "

That is the part I don't understand how to do....just mount the gps and open the folder?

January 5, 2011
9:29 am
phild31
Members
1168sp_Permalink sp_Print

capjap wrote:

Is there a compass that has the moving arrow on the inside? I searched and could find different compasses but none of them seem to have that. I like all my other magellans for that feature...it's bigger and more noticeable.

I also liked the compass on my old units but the x10s use the 'smart arrow' instead.
After a week of using the 710 I no longer miss the old compass, I like these compasses more.

This is a compass I took from my Explorist GC, it unlocked when I got the 'Triad' caches, HQ cache, Ape cache & Original Stash cache.
I put it in the 710 because I like it.

You or anyone can load it into your x10 if you want to.
go to x10s App file, then compass and paste it there.
I haven't figured out how to get the little icons in the 3 little circles yet, but the compass works and looks kinda cool. B)
Here's what it looks like;

Oh yeah, you can also put in your own background image.

January 5, 2011
6:51 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1167sp_Permalink sp_Print

capjap wrote:

Is it possible after you mark a cache as found to upload to gc.com?

Is there a compass that has the moving arrow on the inside? I searched and could find different compasses but none of them seem to have that. I like all my other magellans for that feature...it's bigger and more noticeable.

If I buy the city series map is it possible to have all 3 maps available on the 610? I was thinking that if it had to reside on the micro sd, then maybe it would be possible to have the map available when you switch profiles...by that I mean that when you switch profiles, it automatically puts up the desired map so that all you have to do is change profiles and not maps too.

When you mark a cache as found and then enter a log it is entered in the log.txt file in the Geocaches directory which can be loaded to GC.com as a Field Note Log from which you can log the cache. It is a great feature. The other day we went after the 2nd largest power series in the world and logged 451 finds and when I got home I was really, really glad to have the field notes to upload...

As far as the 3 maps - you can just turn them ALL on at the same time. You're really not going to notice a major difference in the appear on the screen when you load the city series - at least not from what I've seen. However, you're going to be able to use the Road routing features of your GPSr... And yes, you'll have to load them to a micro SD. The 610 only has 4GB of internal memory where the 710 has 8GB.

David

January 5, 2011
4:42 am
capjap
Members
1166sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is it possible after you mark a cache as found to upload to gc.com?

If I buy the city series map is it possible to have all 3 maps available on the 610? I was thinking that if it had to reside on the micro sd, then maybe it would be possible to have the map available when you switch profiles...by that I mean that when you switch profiles, it automatically puts up the desired map so that all you have to do is change profiles and not maps too.

January 4, 2011
10:20 pm
phild31
Members
1161sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sarge104 wrote:

Not really a bug or anything just wanted to give a heads up that I was out planting a cache yesterday and even with a fresh set of batteries in the unit I was unable to mark the coordinates for the cache. Had to go sit in the vehicle for a bit and warm the unit up before going out again and finally being able to mark the waypoint.

Went to the maggy site to see the temperature range and laughed when it said 14F. I guess they don't want their units used in winter, I haven't seen an above zero day in about two weeks here. Still having fun with the unit. Really like the fact it gives so many options when you place the cache and does a bit of averaging for the waypoint as well.

I had that problem with my Triton, I found that if I carried it in a shirt pocket or under my coat on a lanyard it would work OK.
When it was really cold (-15 & lower) I put it in a sock with a hand warmer, just slide it out to look at it for a few minutes then back in the sock.
It worked for me anyway in the mountains of New Hampshire.

I suppose a mitten with a clip to hook to a lanyard would be better then my old sock! 😛

January 4, 2011
5:26 am
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
1157sp_Permalink sp_Print

With the new year underway and all that, any news on when the next updates will be coming out...?

January 2, 2011
8:49 pm
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
1145sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not really a bug or anything just wanted to give a heads up that I was out planting a cache yesterday and even with a fresh set of batteries in the unit I was unable to mark the coordinates for the cache. Had to go sit in the vehicle for a bit and warm the unit up before going out again and finally being able to mark the waypoint.

Went to the maggy site to see the temperature range and laughed when it said 14F. I guess they don't want their units used in winter, I haven't seen an above zero day in about two weeks here. Still having fun with the unit. Really like the fact it gives so many options when you place the cache and does a bit of averaging for the waypoint as well.

January 1, 2011
3:21 am
capjap
Members
1135sp_Permalink sp_Print

don't know why I had double posts....edited this one to take it out. Didn't see a delete post option

January 1, 2011
3:15 am
capjap
Members
1134sp_Permalink sp_Print

My trade in with Canada Summit Series came on Wednesday when I was out of town. I had called Magellan Customer Service and arranged for a trade in. I asked for a Canadian version. The woman told me she had to check if it were available and that she would get back to me. She called a few days later and said it was possible.

So I packed up my yellow Meridian and shipped it off on the 22nd of December. New unit in my house on December 29th and in my hot little hands on December 30th.

I would suggest if you don't want to do the trade (and save about $175 with taxes and all) then call Magellan directly and arrange to have one shipped to you.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply