Where to submit map updates for x710 unit | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Where to submit map updates for x710 unit
June 27, 2011
7:44 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3504sp_Permalink sp_Print

TomTom has a simple way. It is called MapShare. You can mark new roads, speed limits, oneways and a lot of other things on the device. When conecting with the PC, the device is transfering the changes to a server.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

June 27, 2011
7:29 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3503sp_Permalink sp_Print

jmebd wrote:

I kind of thought there should be some type of system in place that the originator of the maps may have that we could submit errors/changes that need to be made. Not trying to put this on Magellan in any way. Was just asking a simple question and was also not meaning to start a flame war.

Jmedb,

Don't worry, I didn't think that in anyway you were trying to put it on Magellan and I do know that Tom-Tom has a way to report road closers and changes to their server, so let me talk to Richard at Magellan and see what we can find out about a way to report these things...

david

June 27, 2011
4:33 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3499sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I'm in vehicle mode doing turn by turn the compass has never been calibrated, it always shows red.
When I take it out of turn by turn & go to geocaching/hiking mode I just wave it a bit & it calibrates.

I haven't taken the 710 cross country yet but I did take my GC on my trip to Seattle and back. I found 4 or 5 dirt roads that were closed or just petered out that the GC map showed as connecting to another road.
So far with the 710 I have found two paved roads that no longer have bridges.
They were all in rural areas, not very many houses, just some farms.

That's not a flame war, we just disagreed a little bit. 😛
KI4HLW is a good guy, we get along fine. 🙂

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 27, 2011
3:44 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
3498sp_Permalink sp_Print

WOW...lots of response variation here.... hmm...where to start.

I've only come across six or seven instances of the maps being incorrect so far in my usage of the product so I'd say that they're pretty good. Not in any way shape or form knocking them. This most recent incident just happened to be about 5 miles from my home area which I do not drive in so I did not know if there were supposed to be a road there or not. Drove right past (trying to get the dang compass to calibrate while driving) and didn't catch it in time so I turned around to take another closer look. Turns out, the county road (that was supposed to be paved since all of them in this area are...there are no gravel roads in my area) that was supposed to have a bridge across a river was nothing more than a small bit of gravel with a gate (was left open)...there were no NO TRESPASSING signs posted but I kinda had the feeling that it was indeed private property. Looks as if it were mowed for hay recently (which I too have a farm so I know what that looks like). Anyway...was boggling to me...would really have been a great area for a road. Just don't know what was up with that. I kind of thought there should be some type of system in place that the originator of the maps may have that we could submit errors/changes that need to be made. Not trying to put this on Magellan in any way. Was just asking a simple question and was also not meaning to start a flame war. The other instances were also paved county roads as well and were in areas I've never been before. Maps said that it was a valid road but all of them ended up being barricaded off...for what reason I do not know. That's gotta be a tough logistical nightmare trying to get roads updated and correct. I just think there should be some type of setup with the USGS or where-ever the maps originate from that allows user input (with photographic evidence and such....let's please don't get into a flame war about that either)....

Thanks for the links

June 27, 2011
3:04 am
phild31
Members
3497sp_Permalink sp_Print

Miniwhip wrote:

Don't know if it will ever trickle down to our units, but it's a start

https://mapreporter-test.navte.....-external/

I used this link - mapquest help- to get to mapquest's help page for instructions on reporting errors on the maps to Navteq.
That page showed me this link;

https://mapreporter.navteq.com.....-external/

June 27, 2011
2:23 am
phild31
Members
3496sp_Permalink sp_Print

KI4HLW wrote:

phild31 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about a small, old country road out in the boondocks.

Did you miss the point that he lives there? This "boondocks" road may be an error he lives with on a weekly basis, kinda a hard pill to swallow. What if it was a major highway through your home town, would you suggest he not worry about it then too? What if your driving through that town for the first time and your GPS is the only way you know where you are going and it brings you to this dead end?

I didn't miss the point, you did.
He is talking about "backroads" in his area, not interstate highways, state roads or even paved roads.
If he lived there he would already know about the old road.
I know of dozens of backroads in my area (with-in 50 miles of Boston) that no longer exist but still show up on most maps.

When my GPSr has brought me to a dead end in Montana, Kansas or anywhere else I just retraced my route and found another way.

June 27, 2011
1:25 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
3495sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Did you miss the point that he lives there? This "boondocks" road may be an error he lives with on a weekly basis, kinda a hard pill to swallow. What if it was a major highway through your home town, would you suggest he not worry about it then too? What if your driving through that town for the first time and your GPS is the only way you know where you are going and it brings you to this dead end?

Sorry if my posts are recently steering towards the negative, but there seems to be a lot of "it doesn't affect me so it's not a problem" going on recently in this forum.

P.S. if I knew the answer to the OP's question I would answer, unfortunately I don't have one for you.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

June 26, 2011
10:15 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3491sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've run into this problem several times out here in the desert. Some years ago they were adding some building tax laws so several developers went out and marked out hundreds of streets that were recorded, however, they were never built, some of which were to be major roads and even highways. Well, because the streets are recorded and everything comes from the USGS database I've several times found myself looking for such streets!!! However, Magellan really has no control over this...

David

June 26, 2011
7:53 pm
Miniwhip
Guests
3488sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't know if it will ever trickle down to our units, but it's a start

https://mapreporter-test.navte.....-external/

June 26, 2011
6:10 pm
phild31
Members
3487sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here in New England the county maps don't get updated unless a new road is put in or something drastic happens.
So an old, hardly ever used road just fades away.
It can make navigating an adventure when you leave the paved roads. 😛
That must be why the old-timers around here like to say "you can't get there from here". :blink:

I've been walking on old country roads that show on the latest state and county maps as roads but there were 50 year old trees growing in the middle of where the road was.
The locals know all about the old roads but there is so little traffic in the area that the county doesn't bother spending the money to update their maps. :dry:

I would imagine that the mapping outfits like Magellan, DeLorme, Google etc. depend on local & state governments for information on road changes.

June 26, 2011
1:06 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184

Dunno where I need to post this so this will have to do I suppose...

Anyway, was on my way via turn by turn navigation on some of our backroads in my area and my x710 told me to make a left turn onto a county road....only problem is....that's not a county road and hasn't been one for lord knows how long and I don't even know if it even EVER was since it was just a pull off into a farmers hay field. There is NO bridge like what was being displayed in the unit over the hillside either.

It's:

Cr-L4n0 W

roughly: 38 55.577 N , 86 29.155 W

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 11
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply