What would be cool | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
What would be cool
December 21, 2011
3:51 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4765sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Now eveyone knows that I'm a loyal VP user, but we have to give some big cuddos to Clyde. This new GSAK is really nice :woohoo:

David

I now use VP for everything and really like it, except for loading geocaches to my 710.
The file system is just too clunky and gives me no way to load only the caches I want.
Of course I'm always loading hundreds if not thousands of caches at a time.

For me anyway, GSAK is far and away the best way to load Pocket Queries to a GPSr.

I usually spend a lot of time at Geo-events with my laptop teaching people how to use GSAK & how to set up Pocket Queries.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 21, 2011
12:54 am
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
4763sp_Permalink sp_Print

This could be done on one end or the other...

It is not that technical challenge to use a special interface, click on the PQ and drag and drop it on the unit....
(unpacking, downloading pics and spoilers... could be done in the background)

Having the specs of the eX, a skilled programmer wouldn't need more than three days.

BR
Sockeye

December 21, 2011
12:46 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
4762sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I could mention it to our friends at Magellan, but that would really have to be up to Groundspeak. If there is something that can be done to improve it in VP I could most definitely forward it to Richard the GIS guy at Magellan who is in charge of VP...

David

December 21, 2011
12:39 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
4761sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yea...know all about the PQ's & daily limits....

And yea...to "most" people drag and drop is really simple...but there are those who are...shall we say, tech challenged..... Just would like to run the queries then click on send to unit and done. Now what could be more simple than that?

I agree that GSAK is awesomely powerful but to a new user?? WAY too overwhelming to look at all the junk on the screen trying to take it all in....not just my opinion either...talked to many a folk at events asking what they do and have yet to run into another GSAK user. The ones that knew about it all were in dislike of the amount of stuff that it has on it and were just waning something simple. I suppose you could "dumb" it down even more but really what would be the point of even using it then.

Naw...I think if I were a newbie I'd like just the couple clicks of query & send to unit.

December 21, 2011
12:37 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
4760sp_Permalink sp_Print

With the new version 8 of GSAK you can download a pocket query, or a group of pocket queries, with the click of a button and it automatically downloads them in GSAK and then with another click it will transfer straight to your GPS. Now eveyone knows that I'm a loyal VP user, but we have to give some big cuddos to Clyde. This new GSAK is really nice :woohoo:

David

December 20, 2011
10:39 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4759sp_Permalink sp_Print

You can do something like that on Vantage Point.
But moving a bunch of un-zipped files online to the GPSr might be a bit slow.

And downloading a Pocket Query is pretty easy, just click 'download'.
Remember that GC.com limits you to 5 PQs a day, so max them out to close to 1,000 caches each.

For a beginner drag & drop is pretty simple but, you will not get cache pictures this way.

The very best and easiest way to load a lot of geocaches is with GSAK.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 20, 2011
9:28 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184

I know that it should be over on the Geocaching website but we can at least talk about it to have something to discuss here too...

Something I just thought of that would be cool (seeing as there is a newbie on here asking for help trying to learn how to get up to speed with us....welcome aboard if you're reading this BTW...and hope you enjoy your new addiction! LOL)....on the geocaching website there is a Send-To button on individual caches...clicking on it opens a window that supports many different units. Would be nice if we could do a pocket query and have something like that integrated for those as well. Just make the query, click on send-to and choose the unit you have much like individual transfers take place. Yeah, there are some technical things behind it like having unzipped files (which you can uncheck on the query) but would be much nicer to not have to download, drag n drop for a newbie. I've got no problem with it but would be a small step saver....wonder if they are thinking about that?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply