Virtual keyboard and typing in X10 series | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Virtual keyboard and typing in X10 series
April 3, 2011
7:37 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2150sp_Permalink sp_Print

schwef wrote:

I would also like to see an option when typing street names, etc on the split screen virtual keyboard that, instead of graying out the letters that are no longe possible given the remaining street names, non-valid letters would be eliminated. The result would be showing only the valid letters which should result in the possible letters collapsing from a split screen to a single screen. The strategy would minimize the need to toggle back and forth after entering the first couple of letters

Another suggestion for Magellan

Great idea in theory, but in practice I can tell you it would drive me crazy to have the letters moving around on me. My finger would go where the letter was before my brain would register it has moved.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

April 2, 2011
7:06 pm
egumus
Members
Forum Posts: 14
2136sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great idea...
Are we engineers or what....

It would be nice to have T9 texting too 🙂

April 2, 2011
4:43 pm
schwef
Members
Forum Posts: 9
2133sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would also like to see an option when typing street names, etc on the split screen virtual keyboard that, instead of graying out the letters that are no longe possible given the remaining street names, non-valid letters would be eliminated. The result would be showing only the valid letters which should result in the possible letters collapsing from a split screen to a single screen. The strategy would minimize the need to toggle back and forth after entering the first couple of letters

Another suggestion for Magellan

April 1, 2011
2:07 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2088sp_Permalink sp_Print

The x10 GPSr are available at The GPS Store also.
They say they ship world wide.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 1, 2011
12:50 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2085sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's also available in Canada thru LeBaron, the Hunting/Fishing/Outdoors mail order company that we all love up here... $199 + tax. Lebaron.ca/index.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 31, 2011
11:27 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
2083sp_Permalink sp_Print

egumus wrote:

Just beacuse hate touchscreens I am waiting for E310 but Magellan insist to not to release it...

Hi,

I just ordered the eX310 from Tiger GPS (They are in stock now). With the current exchange rate it will cost me less than 200€ (including 3-day UPS shipping, 19% German sales tax and 4% import tax)

And a detailled Turkey and Greece topo map is availble on Maps4me.net 😉

BR
Sockeye

March 31, 2011
11:01 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2082sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I'm not in the position to promise anything - but it came from Eric who is the World Wide Product Manger for the Outdoor lines of GPSrs, so I would say there is a pretty good chance of it happening. However, it won't be in the next firmware release because that is already in testing and I've already seen it. So it don't plan on seeing anything on this in the next few months...

David

March 31, 2011
9:17 pm
egumus
Members
2079sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

I received an Email from Eric at Magellan this morning and he said that this, the smaller virtual keyboard for use with a stylus,is something they're already looking into!!!

David

I hope it is not a rumor....

Anyway next week ı am planning to purchase one of the x10 series
as soon as it will reach will post a very detail review.

March 31, 2011
6:50 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2077sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great news, since I'm using a kind of stylus from the beginning.
I'm using a flexible (kind of rubber) pencil.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

March 31, 2011
5:14 pm
David
Members
2074sp_Permalink sp_Print

I received an Email from Eric at Magellan this morning and he said that this, the smaller virtual keyboard for use with a stylus,is something they're already looking into!!!

David

March 31, 2011
11:05 am
egumus
Members
2067sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks David,
Your commend was very helpful.
Yes I am am in between of buying E310 or 510/610
I don't thing that 710 is that necessary for me

March 31, 2011
8:04 am
David
Members
2063sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok - the request for the option to be able to select the current keyboard layout for finger typing or a smaller keyboard where all characters fit on one screen to be used with a stylus has been sent to our friends at Magellan...

David

March 31, 2011
7:58 am
David
Members
2062sp_Permalink sp_Print

egumus,

It is an interesting idea to have the option to have a smaller keyboard on the touch screen so I'll forward this to Magellan as a user request and we'll see what they say!

However, I will tell you that if you're debating between the eX310 or the eX710 - I have both units here are on my desk and I had enter information much faster with the eX710 touch screen, even with the split keyboard, than I can with either the eX310 or GC, which both operate the same in the keyboard mode...

David

March 31, 2011
7:04 am
egumus
Members
2060sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

First I don't understand what you mean by passive device?

Dear friends.
Thanks a lot for your kind replies.
I used to use the old Explorist 500LE

For my PhD I am doing a lot of field works.
Working on Geoparks (fossil sites) when ever I am in the field I need to collect tracks but especially waypoints, I need to give detail names and explanations to the waypoints forfurther use in the future.Ok attaching photos and voice records to waypoints are great advantages but I need to type alot. Becouse, afterwards I transfer the vwaypoint files to GIS and make selections, analyses usually based on their names.

So if I can just my position on the gps but not able to write, search, edit as effective for me it means that gps is a passive device.

I have no GPS now and I am planing to buy one, I have to buy Magellan beacuse I am from Turkey and for my region the best detailed maps are available just by the Magellan.

Finally I would ask if there will be any use to press Magellan at least putting an option to unify the keyboard in a single manu with smaller characters.

It would be very usefull for me beacuse the the new X10 series GPS's sold in Turkey comes with a stylus pen for finer control on small menu items.
I hope magellan will release a firmvare

March 31, 2011
12:43 am
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
2038sp_Permalink sp_Print

sondre wrote:

But, I will never go back to a non touchscreen device. It takes a long time to type in any word on those.

Sondre

I second that 🙂 since my T2000 I love the touch screens and even more with my eX710.

March 31, 2011
12:40 am
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
2035sp_Permalink sp_Print

I tried the word on a non touch screen and counted 39 clicks. Maybe it would have been possible to get rid of a couple... But under 35: no way on my device. And probably not on any other...

So for me, 10 clicks is pretty good, but I do agree that the current layout in the X10 could have been improved.

But, I will never go back to a non touchscreen device. It takes a long time to type in any word on those.

BR
Sondre

March 31, 2011
12:37 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2034sp_Permalink sp_Print

First I don't understand what you mean by passive device?

Yes the keyboard is a bit of a pain but it's not like you are going to write a book on it. It's a very minor issue.

Take some pictures & voice records, attach as many of them to a geocache or waypoint as you want to.

The 310 and the exGC have a very small screen, too small for me to easily read the font size on them.
The touchscreen on the 710 works fine with no problems, even while wearing gloves.
The keyboard on the touchscreen 710 is easier to use than the keyboard on the exGC.
To type on the GC you use the joystick and have to wade through the keyboard that is very small and hard to read. It's not any faster or easier than the touchscreen.
The GC is the same as the 310, the 310 has better software and can load custom maps.
I have a exGC and a 710.

All the controls on the touchscreen are easy to use, the screen is not too small for an effective interactive interface.

Do you have an Explorist or are you shopping for one?
If you are dead set against touchscreens then nothing I say will change your mind, but the 710 is the best GPSr I have ever used.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 31, 2011
12:36 am
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
2033sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would prefer if I could have a keyboard with all letters on one screen. As far as I know the Oregons have it and all my friends who have those don't complain. Couldn't it be possible to give the option to have a complete or a split keyboard? That would be cool :woohoo:

March 31, 2011
12:30 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2032sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree on the keyboard in 2 halves is not the best idea. I'd have an option to have the keyboard available one piece, if holding the unit horizontally, even if the buttons had to be smaller. As long as there's a backspace to correct the odd error from big fingers, then I'd be cool with it. Try typing Azimuth with the joystick thingy on the 310. How many individual movements to type that do you think ?

The first advantage of the touchscreen is : there are no buttons in the way making the screen too small to be useful. If I need a bigger screen I'll plug it into the laptop and go NMEA in VP, and have a 13" screen. My Triton had buttons and a tiny screen, so small that the writing was almost too small to read, and I have 20/10 vision.

I like the touchscreen, it works well, responds well to the touch, and is no more or less clear than my Triton with a normal screen. Yes the unit is bigger, but it's around the same size as the Triton touchscreen units, and no bigger than any other touchscreen unit available. I've tried an eX GC, which is the same chassis as the 310, and I liked it as well, but I've had my share of buttons and joysticks. I don't regret upgrading to this one !

But you are correct however, the split screen IS a pain....

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 30, 2011
11:57 pm
egumus
Members

There is a very important detail about the X10 series which is not mentioned yet.
First of all I am against to touch screen...
Although it seems cool it turns the gps to passive device.

Yes... the virtual keyboard in all X10 series are devided in to two halves. Because the touch screen is not big enough to keep them in one single menu.
What does it mean: If you need to give name to a waypoint like "Azimuth" you have change the keypad menu several times.
Which means to click 10 times for a 5 character word....
I am waiting user commends about this issue...

Another issu how we can combine several voice records and photos to a single waypoint...
I dont want to create them seperately, but to relate them, is it possible...

Just beacuse hate touchscreens I am waiting for E310 but Magellan insist to not to release it...
From my point of viev any touch screen smaller than 4 inch and 800x600 resolution is useless.

I really dont understan what is the benefit of a touch screen on 3 inch monitor which is already very small for any kind of interactive interface.

Waiting for your commends

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply