VantagePoint V2.17 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
VantagePoint V2.17
August 27, 2011
1:20 am
k-rok
Members
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4098sp_Permalink sp_Print

i've checked out the maps and i found there are 2 kinds, what i call the green and the grey. the grey are newer and more detailed than my Google, the green are older and not near as detailed as my Google. i found the maps i would need only have one lake of the many i fish in the grey, the rest are in the green so i'll stick to the Google for now until they update the images.

thanks everyone.

August 21, 2011
6:04 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4059sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, here are the screenshots of N.S. with the settings at 'Good' on VP

The pictures will be too small on this forum so I made a web page of them here -- Digital Global test 2

Click that link and check it out.

There is no avoiding the need for a lot of memory to get fine detail on any satellite img maps.

That one Gb a day limit is not really a problem.
The first couple of days it seemed like "come on, let me do all my maps!", but that was more using my new toy then actually needing to download everything today. 😉

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

August 21, 2011
4:37 pm
phild31
Members
4058sp_Permalink sp_Print

I only showed the 'best' level of the VP maps, mostly because that's what I was interested in.

Here's what the choices on VP are;

With it set at 'Good' it's at 196 Mb to cover the whole island.

I'm downloading it right now so I'll post some shots of what it looks like on my 710 in about an hour.

August 21, 2011
3:32 pm
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184
4056sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil is correct and on the money with his explanation from what I've experienced. I am not familiar with the settings & detail level (only saw the screens posted above with "best detail" shown so I cannot comment (but can speculate that it will allow lower amounts of zoom levels to be selected) on digital globe. But with MOBAC, I have nearly a 60 square mile map of Bloomington Indiana set at zoom levels of 17, 18 & 19 (which equate to 500ft, 200ft & 100ft respectively and that map is 374,437 KB in size. It shows very well on the unit itself and yes you can go lower to the 50 ft level if you want (down to like 10 ft if you are so inclined but man...gotta be a smaller area because the map size just explodes! NICE shots MOREL BTW...I don't go below 100ft myself as I don't feel that I need that much but it's nice to see that it can be done!!!) but the amount of tiles you are going to download is gonna be astronomical! I've tried the maximum zoom level and for anything larger than say maybe 5-10 square miles it's gonna make a file larger than 1GB in size (which right now you're not limited in downloading at google or any of the other sources but that could change at any moment if someone were to look at the data useage I'm guessing). When the files become that large I received an error (not much larger, wanna say somewhere around 1.4GB or something and it takes FOREVER...IMI files can be larger than that but I don't know how to make that format of a file) that RMP does not support a file of that size or something along that line and it pooped out on me). I've posted some screenshots from my 710 in the MAPS forum if you're interested in how they look. I know when I figured out how to use MOBAC that I downloaded WAY more than 1GB in one day from google & terraserver for my maps so glad I didn't have the 1 GB limit imposed upon me but I understand that they have to charge for the data to be able to stay afloat. I just checked and I have 9.43 GB of tile data downloaded so far and I've almost completely filled the internal storage as well as an 8GB micro SD card....guess I should have bought a bigger one LOL. I'm just surprised google & terraserver hasn't imposed those same restrictions. There is a very nice video tutorial on youtube for MOBAC if you just do a search for it. Hope that helps a bit in your decision.

August 21, 2011
7:17 am
phild31
Members
4054sp_Permalink sp_Print

The VP Digital Global maps with the detail on my posts take about 480 mb for about a 10 square mile area.
So to have the good detail it will only show something like the Halifax area with less than 500 mb.

I don't know what the free MOBAC created img maps will do, I haven't tried them yet.
I suspect that any img maps with fine detail will use a lot of memory.

Here's what VP gives me;

This is what it covers.

August 21, 2011
1:25 am
phild31
Members
4049sp_Permalink sp_Print

k-rok wrote:

that's what i get for commenting before knowing the full extent of what it can do. this is far superior to my google earth maps. i can see the sunroof!thanks for the kick in the ***.lol

looks like i'll be purchasing the maps.

just one question, do the maps use a lot of MB? my 310 doesn't take a card and has about 500 MB free space. can i cram about half the province of Nova Scotia in there and still have space for my tracks? the google earth maps took up about 300MB.

another question, do i need the basemap? it's not enabled now and without it i can free up 1.5 gigs of space.

Before you subscribe to the Magellan Digital Global maps, the screenshots that Morel posted are from MOBAC, not VP.
To see the screenshots from VP go to this link - Digital Global test for my screenshots of my 710 & VP.

I'll play around with VP and see how much of N.S. I can cover using VP.

August 20, 2011
10:58 pm
k-rok
Members
4048sp_Permalink sp_Print

that's what i get for commenting before knowing the full extent of what it can do. this is far superior to my google earth maps. i can see the sunroof!thanks for the kick in the butt.lol

looks like i'll be purchasing the maps.

just one question, do the maps use a lot of MB? my 310 doesn't take a card and has about 500 MB free space. can i cram about half the province of Nova Scotia in there and still have space for my tracks? the google earth maps took up about 300MB.

another question, do i need the basemap? it's not enabled now and without it i can free up 1.5 gigs of space.

August 14, 2011
5:51 pm
phild31
Members
4005sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the screenshots, I did want to see how the 'other options' looked. :cheer:
Of course without figuring out third party custom options. :S Laugh

Maggie really did a nice job on this, it's very easy to use and for myself anyway the detail on my 710 is all I need.

August 14, 2011
5:18 pm
Morel
Guests
4004sp_Permalink sp_Print

The addition of the Digital Globe imagery to Vantage Point and the ability to download/create your own maps is a wonderful idea. Wish they would have done it long ago. Although I haven't tried it yet, it appears to be very simple and will be useful for those that do not want to figure out the third party custom options. 😉 Great job Magellan!

Phil, I checked out your link and they do look good. But if you want to zoom all the way in and still see your truck in front of your house you still need to use the other options....sorry, I couldn't resist...

OK, our car at the house...

and helpful locating the hide...

August 14, 2011
4:40 pm
phild31
Members
4003sp_Permalink sp_Print

k-rok wrote:

i got the automatic update, yah, i made my own google maps for $0 and there a lot more detailed than the ones Magellan have.

Did you look at the screenshots of the Digital Global maps I posted?
The streaming satellite images are not as detailed as the downloaded ones.

Go here to take a look - Digital Global test

August 14, 2011
5:40 am
k-rok
Members
4000sp_Permalink sp_Print

i got the automatic update, yah, i made my own google maps for $0 and there a lot more detailed than the ones Magellan have.

August 4, 2011
10:02 pm
litngbug
Members
Forum Posts: 42
3898sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just downloaded from GC.com, a 1000 cache query and it took like 5 seconds!

'bug

August 4, 2011
2:07 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264

Not quite the right forum I know, but has anyone downloaded the latest VantagePoint upgrade. It is so far very impressive! The green colouring of my maps has disappeared and there are now "DigitalGlobe" satellite maps overlayed when you zoom out.
Also it is quicker to load on the laptop and to import tracks. Haven't tried to load caches yet as that took ages on the previous version and I never bothered with that process - preferred GSAK instead which takes seconds for thousands of caches.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply