using rechargable lithium-ion batteries | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
using rechargable lithium-ion batteries
June 21, 2012
12:05 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6500sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

So I always have spares with me and don't worry about it.

Same here now - ahh I am at peace with the world of GPSr's πŸ™‚

June 20, 2012
12:58 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6496sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jake81499 wrote:

Question?

Does the 710 charge the rechargables installed or do you need an external charger. I've not read anything either way.

No, there is no charger on the Explorists units.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 20, 2012
9:33 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
6495sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last weekend, three days walking through the woods. eXplorist 310 has worked on one set of SANYO Eneloop 2100. It has been about 40 kilometers. Operating time about 20 hours.
Settigs:
Battery type - Alkaline
Light - 70%
Light Off - 3 min
Sleep Mode - 5 min
I watched the map every 20 - 30 minutes.

My eXplorist uses:
Map screen, full light - 180-200 mA
Map screen, no light - 100 mA
Sleep mode, writing track - 70-80 mA

I do not use alkaline batteries. Capacity of the best of them on the 3000 mAh current 25 mA. At a current of 200 mA decreases their capacity to 2000 mAh. In the cold capacity Alkaline reduced greatly. 10 degrees Celsius - 60% 0 degrees - 30%.

June 20, 2012
6:54 am
Jake81499
Members
Forum Posts: 45
6494sp_Permalink sp_Print

Batteries do seem to die quick in the 710. I've been getting about 5 hours max out of standard AA alkalines. I bought a 36 pack from radio shack the same day the gps arrived and the top row and part of the second row are gone. The lithiums that came with it lasted abut 12 hours total.

I've noticed that when I upload a large gpx file the batteries actually get warm inside the gps while it processes the file for the first time. It wil often say I need to change the batteries even if they are only a couple hours old while processing the file. I'd like to know what the current draw is while processing as compared to normal use.

On the bike I keep the gps plugged in all the time so batteries aren't really an issue.

Question?

Does the 710 charge the rechargables installed or do you need an external charger. I've not read anything either way.

June 20, 2012
3:33 am
phild31
Members
6492sp_Permalink sp_Print

The lithium-ion rechargeable batteries are not AAs, they just look like they might fit but they don't unless you force them in or modify the holder.

The non-rechargeable lithium AA batteries are 1.5 volts and fit in any AA device.
If you just gotta have more time than AAs can give you just get a 5 volt power source and plug it in the usb plug.
The Hyperkin Portable Power Pack powers my 710 for well over 25 hours per charge.

Like I posted - Of course there are so many variables in power use, temperature, light on/off, changing the map displayed, taking photos/videos, etc. that it's impossible to accurately predict battery life in the units.

So -- Your results may vary!

I will get about 8 hours use when I'm geocaching all day, every 20 minutes going to another cache, but no photos, no voice recorder, no video and I keep the light timer at 30 seconds. I use the smart compass on the map screen so I almost never switch screens.

Needless to say, if I take pictures, am constantly fiddling with screens & settings, do a few voice recordings and otherwise use the unit quite hard the life of the batteries will be drastically shortened.

So I always have spares with me and don't worry about it.

June 19, 2012
11:55 pm
Jake81499
Members
6490sp_Permalink sp_Print

Way back in time and space I found a 3200mah NiMH AA battery but they are nowhere to be found now. The closest I've seen lately is 2900.

http://www.onlybatteries.com/s.....8;uid=1326

I make my own battery packs for model airplanes and these last forever.

I have a set of the 3200's in a Arcos MP3 player that have been in there for 10 years and they still work fine.

There was also a AA sized 3.5v Lithium that came with a dummy battery. It's gone too. Nowhere to be found. My guess would be people may have been buying two and trying to use them in pairs thus releasing the smoke from their prized electronic unit and turning it into a useless paper weight then blameing the store or company they bought the batteries from for their sudden loss.

Now Lithium AA's are longer and bigger around to prevent them from being used in a standard AA device.

June 19, 2012
11:50 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
6489sp_Permalink sp_Print

zpyder wrote:

I'm using these batteries:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalo....._id=108606

Now I've had a couple of charge cycles through them the GPS will last from 9am to about 5pm without going into standby mode at any point.

How hard do you use your GPSr during this time? Do you use the voice recorder, camera, GoTo every 5 to 10 minutes, look up cache descriptions a couple of times, switch from map screen to compass screen a few times every 5 minutes?

Or is it just passive and marking a track?

I can't get more than 4 hours out of mine and I use eneloop 1900, powertech 2500 and La Cross Tech 2600 - but I do use the GPSr quite hard during that time.

June 19, 2012
11:28 pm
phild31
Members
6488sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm routinely getting 7 - 9 hours of constant, steady use while geocaching and hiking with the Powerex batteries.

I also got results similar to zpyder's when I tested the Duracells.

Once a few charge cycles were done I got the maximum time out of both of them.
I would recommend either the Powerex or Duracell NIMH AA batteries , with a good charger.

The Eneloop XX from Sanyo are also very good.

Of course there are so many variables in power use, temperature, light on/off, changing the map displayed, taking photos/videos, etc. that it's impossible to accurately predict battery life in the units.

So -- Your results may vary! πŸ˜‰

June 19, 2012
9:56 pm
zpyder
Members
Forum Posts: 24
6485sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm using these batteries:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalo....._id=108606

Now I've had a couple of charge cycles through them the GPS will last from 9am to about 5pm without going into standby mode at any point.

June 19, 2012
2:22 pm
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
6484sp_Permalink sp_Print

First of all let's not confuse the disposable lithium batteries (1.5V LiFe) and rechargeable Lithium accumulators (3.7V LiIon).
Disposable batteries such as Energizer Ultimate Lithium 1.5V - it's "native" batteries for the eXplorist.

The idea of ​​using one lithium-polymer rechargeable battery instead of two conventional batteries quite controversial. The highest power of two lithium batteries can be 3.4V (2 * 1.7). At a voltage of the device is targeted. Lithium ion battery will have a voltage of up to 4 volts. This may not be valid.

Suitable for AA size rechargeable lithium battery type 14500 has a capacity of 900 mAh. No benefit from it.
More capacious 18650 (3000 mAh) in the case does not fit.

June 19, 2012
1:18 pm
phild31
Members
6483sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it's a AA battery it will be 1.5 volt.
Any battery that's 3.6 volt is not AA, it's something else and won't quite fit where a AA belongs.

Do you really think using the wrong battery in your $400 GPSr is a good idea?

June 19, 2012
7:05 am
Jake81499
Members
6481sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've read about this before.

If you find a good AA style battery it will be 3.5 volts.

You use these along with a dummy battery. One real lithium and a dummy. Don't use two lithiums, you could cause real problems for the gps.

Charging is another issue. Look up lithium battery fires on YouTube.

I wouldn't suggest trying to use them since they really aren't designed for this kind of application.

June 19, 2012
5:59 am
phild31
Members
6480sp_Permalink sp_Print

All of the Explorist line use AA batteries, 1.5 volt.
The rechargeable setting is for rechargeable AAs, 1.2 - 1.6 volt.
Any AA battery should be 1.5 volts +/- .3 volts.
I've never seen lithium-ion AA batteries.
If you use non AA batteries to power it you will probably have some serious problems.

The best rechargeable AAs I have found are Powerex NIMH 2700 mAh.

June 19, 2012
5:12 am
hiking03
Members
Forum Posts: 1

I want to buy good rechargable batteries for my explorist 610. The question I have is if any body is using a lithium-ion rechargable battery. I know lithium-ion volatages can be 3.6 to 3.7 volts each, where other rechargable batteries are less than 2 volts each. I use lithium-ion tools every day, and I like their weight to power and how long they last. So I want to use them in my 610, but I am not sure the rechargable setting will cover the additional voltage. I do not want to smoke my gps.

Anybody with experence in this area.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply