User Grid, does it work in the x10's? | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
User Grid, does it work in the x10's?
November 23, 2010
5:01 am
zee
Members
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
848sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks phild31, for the screen shots.
I'm wanting to compare an x10 with the Meridian, in the User Grid mode. I had hoped to do that with a Triton, but Maggie never got the units set up to do so, so I got burned on that one.
A recent purchase of a Garmin 62s, was another disaster, trying to get the user grid to work. Tough going when one puts in all of the right numbers, in the right places, and the unit refuses to work, giving me blank spaces.
Three years of using Trans Merc and Lambert for State Plane, with a SporTrak and Meridian, have spoiled me. Always looking for something that does the job better.

November 23, 2010
3:48 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
847sp_Permalink sp_Print

This unit doesn't have the same settings or pages as the Meridian.
I don't have the time right now to test it completely but I'll show you some screen shots that might help.
I won't have time until Saturday to play around with the tests you need, sorry.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

November 22, 2010
11:17 pm
zee
Members
Forum Posts: 21

I need someone to check on the User Grid in the new X10 series, and see if it works.
First, set the Coord System to "all d's", Deg.ddddd.
Then make a waypoint out in the open, and then walk northeasterly 20 or 30 ft from the point.
Back to Navigation>User Grid Parameters>Transverse Mercator, then put in the waypoint coords.
Scale Factor: leave at 1.000000
Unit to Meters Conv: 0.30480061 ( for feet )
Leave False N and False E at 0.000000

Then to the Menu>Coord System>Primary>User Grid, then back out to the Position Screen, and it should show the numbers that you are N and E from the waypoint, in feet.
If this works, then go back in and change the Units to Meters Conv to: 0.010000 which lets the unit display in centimeters from the waypoint.
I tried to get my Meridian to display in mm by setting it to 0.001000, but it gave me an error message.

Usually the cm will settle to little, if any, movement in about 8 to 15 min in the Meridian, but I expect that the SiRF chip to be quite bouncy.

If this works in the Trans Merc ok, then i'll gamble that it will work in Lambert for State Plane, which is a tad bit harder to set up.

Hope that someone can check this out before "Fat Friday" gets here. Have been looking at the 510, which has more features than I want/need.

Also hope that my working off of a Meridian, to describe the above, and that a "senior moment" didn't let me overlook any steps that can't be easily worked around.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply