Update? | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Update?
October 26, 2011
2:41 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4430sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

... in my opinion not using the cool maps, turning the unit off or not using certain features and settings to save battery life is counter productive to why you bought the darn thing in the first place...

Agreed - I have reconciled my self to the fact that I will never attain the 15 hour battery life claims (I am sure I saw it in the Magellan publicity information before I bought the unit) and now if anyone asks I just tell them straight off that I use my 610 pretty hard when geocaching with voice recording, zooming in and out constantly, finding next nearest, changing screens, looking at descriptions etc - so I am expecting to get 4 or 5 hours use with a set of 2500mAh rechargeables.
I'm not going to fiddle with turning stuff off for the sake of not having to replace a couple of batteries now and then in a day.

October 20, 2011
6:49 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
4378sp_Permalink sp_Print

In your map options you should have the option of Map Detail, set it to High. Get the Maps4me map, they're way better and the most recent maps around, the data, POI's and detail are much better.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

October 20, 2011
1:15 pm
lostnfound
Members
Forum Posts: 14
4375sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Guys, I will do the update next time I hook up to the pc. I downloaded all the waypoints and geocaches to the 510 that I had plotted in my triton. I really like this new unit. Not very happy with the summit series maps. The topos are sub standard in my opinion. I really liked the look of the nat geo maps on my triton. Oh well, maybe it is a setting I have in the 510 that is making the summit maps look less than advertised.

I have a friend who owns the garmin 62st. I might have wanted to go that route. Maps are beautiful and topos perfect.

October 20, 2011
4:10 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
4372sp_Permalink sp_Print

Get the upgrade.
The upgrade does not affect battery life in any way.
Battery life is not what Magellan claims but that's true for all manufacturer's battery life claims.
Any touchscreen uses batteries up faster than non-touch and these unit do a lot of jobs so the battery life will be shorter than we hope for.
Like Denis says, use top quality rechargeables to get the best battery life. Or good lithiums or alkalines.

By the way, in my opinion not using the cool maps, turning the unit off or not using certain features and settings to save battery life is counter productive to why you bought the darn thing in the first place.
Carry at least 4 spare batteries!
And don't go for cheap batteries, get the best you can find.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

October 20, 2011
12:44 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
4368sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm not convinced it's got anything to do with the update (the battery life). Touchscreen units are inherently harder on batteries in general. I have the most recent update, and see no difference from one fw version to the next in this regard.

However, if you have the map detail set to High, several maps overlayed and enabled, with a MOBAC Google Earth map in there as well, with the electronic compass and barometer on (which your 510 doesn't have), etc., etc., well naturally all this stuff draws more power. If you reduce your maps to a minimum, backlight off or on a short delay, all these little things help to save power. Also helps using top quality rechargeables - Eneloops, Powerex, among others, you'll get decent life. I have substandard Energizer NiMH's, and get by ok as long as they've been charged recently.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

October 19, 2011
11:59 pm
lostnfound
Members
Forum Posts: 14

I just bought the 510 and when I hooked it up to vantage point to download the summit series topo maps from Magellan, Vantage point asked if i wanted to update the gps unit to version 6. something. I refused the update until i could get some advise from you guys. I read that the battery life goes to pot if you do the upgrade. What are the pros and cons. Should I do it? Thanks everone!

Regards,

-Bill

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply