Two newbie questions on the 510 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Two newbie questions on the 510
What's this icon and how can I make it stop; Can I buy a map that will show river islands?
January 28, 2013
4:01 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

paddler said I can use any maps I want? Just scan them up and use VantagePoint? I will definitely look into that. Right now I'm leaning towards the sat imagery just for the convenience but I can think of plenty of situations where I'd want a specialized map.

The process of creating maps RMP is more complicated. But there are all the necessary tools. To convert, you can use the programs GlobalMapper + RMPCreator, OziExplorer + MapMerge, QLandkarte GT.

Prepared maps and satellite images for eXplorist can be downloaded from the Internet using Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC). List of available maps can be added from this archive - http://hllab.dp.ua/Programs/ma.....ources.zip

January 27, 2013
3:40 pm
paddler
Members
Forum Posts: 2

Holy Smoke that was fast. I'll answer a few points first:

A tether is definitely a given. :-) One of the buying points was that nice big solid lanyard hole. On many of these rivers, just because your gadget floats is no guarantee you'll get it back if you drop it. The current can carry it around the bend and deep into the roots of a fallen tree before you know what happened.

I've got a 16 gig card installed. I think that will limit how many maps I can carry but it'll do for now.

Those pins are waypoints! Thanks Phil! They look like flags in the menu but pins on the map. Mutter. And apparently, no way to turn off the "tap to create waypoint" function so I'll just have to be careful about how I use the touchscreen. Just having that info was enough to get the hang of how to pan the map without accidentally creating waypoints. Sort of. Now it only happens once in a while. I wish I could toggle it on and off but I'll get used to it.

I can use any maps I want? Just scan them up and use VantagePoint? I will definitely look into that. Right now I'm leaning towards the sat imagery just for the convenience but I can think of plenty of situations where I'd want a specialized map.

Thanks Philip and Paganel for the info. I have a lot more confidence in this gadget now.

Dan

January 27, 2013
4:39 am
Paganel
Members
Forum Posts: 116

You can upload any map to your navigator, if you have a paper map and scanner.

We use topographic maps and sailing directions of the rivers.

pic.jpg

January 26, 2013
6:10 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

Here's some screenshots of Stearns Pond in Massachusetts on my 710 using Magellan's DigitalGlobal Satellite Imagery.

Well worth the $30 yearly subscription, you can download as much as you want in that year and they work fine on the unit after subscription runs out.

http://i913.photobucket.com/al.....2dec46.png

http://i913.photobucket.com/al.....631425.png

http://i913.photobucket.com/al.....b46c6e.png

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 26, 2013
5:30 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

The 510 is waterproof but it does not float.

Make sure it's tethered, I dropped my 710 in the Charles River, Boston and it sank to the bottom, fortunately just 3 feet deep where I was.

And it works fine after many other soakings.

The manual falls a bit short describing all the options and because the unit has so many options it can be confusing for everyone at first.

After you scroll the map and tap it you are creating a waypoint where you tapped.

To save that as a waypoint tap the menu, bottom right, then tap 'Add Waypoint', name it what ever you want by tapping the name then tap the icon, bottom center, to save.

Tap the screen instead of the menu to get rid of it.

Tap the 'Back' arrow, bottom left, to leave the scrolling map.

In the downloaded manual look for waypoints, creating waypoints on map.

The Magellan Satellite Imagery maps may be a good idea to check out.

Get Vantage Point, a free mapping app from Magellan to put the maps on and see what they can show you.

You can transfer maps to and from the 510 & Vantage Point.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions you have, we have all been there.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

January 26, 2013
3:03 pm
paddler
Members
Forum Posts: 2

I bought this waterproof 510 for paddling trips on Wisconsin rivers. It's a good size that will fit in my vest and the screen is a good size. But I'm frustrated trying to figure out some of these icons. I've been over the manual several times but I must not be looking for the right keywords and can't find a comprehensive list of all the images. So I'm asking here:

When I scroll to move the screen I often create an icon that looks like a pin in the map. Sometimes the screen will float back to it, sometimes not. If I tap it again it goes away. I want to make it stop popping up. What is it?

There are islands on the larger rivers, like the Wisconsin, where we can camp. I'd like to mark the ones I like and the ones I'd rather not use again. Not surprisingly, the default map doesn't show them. Would I be able to see them with one of the add-on maps like the topos or the sat imagery maps? Any suggestions for which maps I ought to investigate? It's rivers rather than lakes where I do most of my paddling.

If anybody can point me to the section of the manual or Magellan's website where I should be investigating these things, I'd be grateful for the direction. I'm an IT programmer who usually has no problem with tech but I feel pretty clumsy with this manual.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply