track quality | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
track quality
May 2, 2011
9:44 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2649sp_Permalink sp_Print

I tested the tracking of 4 GPSr.
I did not use auto/continuous on them because it's useless for accurate tracking anyway! 🙁
The Triton 2000, 710 and GC are set for 5 seconds per point.
My Triton 2000 did the best! :huh:
With the 710 close behind. :ohmy:
The GC and explorist XL no good for precise tracking. 🙁

Go here for my complete report. PHIL's TEST

The joggers on the track gave me some strange looks with 4 GPSr hanging around my neck! Laugh
Let me know what you guys think of my report, it was easier to make a web page than to try to post all the screenshots on the forum. B)

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 30, 2011
7:45 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2633sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

That's a good idea, there's a park near by that the joggers have marked off in quarter mile segments of a 2.5 mile loop.
Or I'll just use the high school football field.
I'll give it a try with my Explorist XL, Triton 2,000, ExGC and Ex710.

Either way it won't be until Monday or Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your results turn out...

David

April 30, 2011
7:17 pm
phild31
Members
2631sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's a good idea, there's a park near by that the joggers have marked off in quarter mile segments of a 2.5 mile loop.
Or I'll just use the high school football field.
I'll give it a try with my Explorist XL, Triton 2,000, ExGC and Ex710.

Either way it won't be until Monday or Tuesday.

April 30, 2011
6:54 pm
David
Members
2628sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had an idea, but I don't know when I'll get to try it. I'd like to take my 710, 310 and GC as well as a Triton 1500 and Triton 400 and set up an square that is 100ft by 100ft and walk around it until I get to 5000feet, or so and see what each one of them reads. Since I would know that actual distance I would be able to see just how much yet one was off and see which unit tracks more accuractly. :huh:

David

April 30, 2011
5:24 pm
phild31
Members
2623sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

That is a pretty significiant difference. If you did a 100 mile trek it would drop 10 miles. Phil, if you still have a Triton, try a track with both of them turned on and see what the difference is between the 710 and the Triton with the 710 in timed mode!

David

OK, but I'll have to wait till Monday to have the time.
Now where did I put my T2000? :blush:

April 30, 2011
5:17 pm
David
Members
2620sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is a pretty significiant difference. If you did a 100 mile trek it would drop 10 miles. Phil, if you still have a Triton, try a track with both of them turned on and see what the difference is between the 710 and the Triton with the 710 in timed mode!

David

April 30, 2011
4:37 pm
phild31
Members
2618sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got curious about how much auto will cut corners so I decided to add to the comparison between Auto/continuous and timed tracking.
I took a walk for an iced coffee yesterday and today.
Here's what I found:

The 1st 3 are timed every 5 seconds;

The next 3 are Auto/continuous;

This is a comparison of the two tracks.
I walked the exact same path on sidewalks, parkinglot light poles and the park.
The difference is Auto/continuous is 496 feet shorter than timed.
That's 10 percent!

If you need/want accurate tracks use the timed settings instead of Auto.

April 29, 2011
12:58 am
phild31
Members
2614sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't think there is an issue with track distance measurements on the units.
The issue is with the user.
The Auto settings are to give you a general reading of where you've been over a long period of time.

If you need or want more precise track distance measurements it would behoove you to find out what all the settings do on your new machine.
That's what I did the first week I had my 710.
I have posted several times about track accuracy and the difference between Auto & Timed settings for months.
So I figured I would post some images to demonstrate the differences.

A picture being worth a thousand words, to coin a phrase. 😛

April 28, 2011
11:05 pm
phild31
Members
2613sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

That is most definetly good information to have, but it is also very interesting the way that the Auto track is working.

Thanks Phil,
David...

P.S. Now that we know the exact coords to your house, we'll all be over on Saturday for a BBQ!!! 😛

No problem, you guys bring the beer! :woohoo:

Actually if you set it at 5 seconds it will take about 13 hours or so to reach the limit. 12 points per minute.....

April 28, 2011
6:11 pm
David
Members
2612sp_Permalink sp_Print

Edited - Sorry, my computer decided to send this post twice!!! :blink:

April 28, 2011
6:11 pm
David
Members
2611sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is most definetly good information to have, but it is also very interesting the way that the Auto track is working. I know that it isn't as exact, but for those who don't need the extreme accuracy it is actually very intelligent that it only tracks when it notices a heading change. That will allow for a much longer track to be recorded. To be honest, for most of what I do; which is normally on an ATV or in a 4x4 the auto work fine and when I'm hicking I'm not that worried about the exact accuracy as long as I can find my way back. However, I am forwarding the information about the distance measure issues back to Maggie...

Thanks Phil,
David...

P.S. Now that we know the exact coords to your house, we'll all be over on Saturday for a BBQ!!! 😛

April 28, 2011
4:35 pm
phild31
Members
2610sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, here's the same walk I took this morning with the track logging set to Auto(continuous);

2,700 feet, it made 54 points.

Here's the VP map;

Compare the tracks set at every 5 seconds with this auto(continuous) and you will see that the track is much more accurate when set at timed.

At the risk of being redundant, don't use auto settings for the track.

PS: if you are wondering, the little offsets, bottom left of the first 2 pictures I went over to check my cache in the park and then patted a dog before crossing the street to my home.

April 28, 2011
12:03 am
phild31
Members
2602sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's a quick track I just made across the street.
Correction;
It's only 2,700 feet long but I set it for a point every 5 seconds and walked about 2.5 mph. It made 281 points in 23 minutes.

This is the 'edit track' page of VP;

Here's the view of the VP map;

This is the sidewalk I walked on looking west;

April 25, 2011
3:19 pm
fredmugs
Members
Forum Posts: 5
2548sp_Permalink sp_Print

DIGITY777 wrote:

Ty for your help. my biggest concern right now is wanting accurate distance traveled. I am getting ready for a long camping/backpacking trip and need to be hiking a certain amount on each trip to make my goal, so far gps is off by a few miles on each trip due to cutting some major corners 🙁

I have this same problem. I just did a 180 mile hike on the PCT and on a day where I was doing a 23.9 mile my unit reported just under 20 miles hiked (I think that track over less than 7 hours produced approx 550 points). When I contacted Magellan they told me to calibrate the electronic compass which I never could do successfully until just this last weekend (it failed everytime before that).

I haven't been on any trails yet to see if that helped but someone else in this forum said that should not cause that problem and I should check out this thread. I'll try changing the track logging settings and see if that helps.

Fingers are crossed. Thanks!

April 17, 2011
7:55 am
phild31
Members
2427sp_Permalink sp_Print

The thing to remember is that Auto(Continuous) mode may be continuous but the points made for the track will automatically be made at different times and distances depending on speed, direction change, distance traveled, mode selection and elevation change.

This is done to give you the minimum number of points for a track, so you don't reach the limit of points on the active track too soon.
The limit is 10,000 points per track. That's 2.7 hours at one per second.
You can save 200 tracks.
Forget about Auto(Continuous)! Just set it at 1 second intervals, then you will get an accurate track.
After a couple of hours just save the track, delete active track (after saving it) and start a new one, then you won't reach the limit of active track length.
If you reach the limit it will wright over the start of the track.
You can edit the tracks you saved on Vantage Point later.

April 17, 2011
5:30 am
DIGITY777
Members
Forum Posts: 4
2426sp_Permalink sp_Print

ps I am trying one second intervals tomarrow so hoping that helps

April 17, 2011
5:29 am
DIGITY777
Members
2425sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ty for your help. my biggest concern right now is wanting accurate distance traveled. I am getting ready for a long camping/backpacking trip and need to be hiking a certain amount on each trip to make my goal, so far gps is off by a few miles on each trip due to cutting some major corners 🙁

April 14, 2011
8:20 am
phild31
Members
2360sp_Permalink sp_Print

My two cents worth;

Generally, the auto/continuous mode seems to not make as many marks until I turn. If I go in a straight line I tended to have fewer points than if I made several turns.
When I set it for every second I got a point every second no matter if I went straight or turned like a drunken snake.
I always have it set for every second.
I only did my test in hiking/geocaching mode while walking. I figured if I'm driving I'm on a road and it doesn't really matter how accurate it tracks the road at driving speeds, I only care what street I'm on, not which side of the street.
Plus the inherent best accuracy of the unit itself is about 15 feet, so each point on the track could be 30 feet off anyway.
Comparing two units, any two units, will just multiply that effect.

If you really, really need more accuracy then no consumer (meaning under $1,000) handheld unit will do it for you.

In the past six months my friends and I tried this basic test (every second or fastest interval) with a 710, GC, Triton 2000, Explorist XL, DeLorme PN60, Garmin Etrex something or other, Garmin Oregon 450 and a Garmin Colorado 400t.
We got similar results with all of them!
For finding my route back to where I started or finding my track days or weeks later all the units are good enough.

In fact last year I used a saved track made a year earlier by one of my hunting buddies to find his trail cameras, at night. His Triton 1500, my Triton 2000. He forgot to make waypoints for his 5 cameras.

OK, maybe that's more than two cents worth. 😛

April 14, 2011
6:46 am
DIGITY777
Members
2356sp_Permalink sp_Print

my 710 is keeping traks for a bit then just does a line to a point further on. Is this the same problem that others seem to be having?
I will try putting on 1 sec intervals and see it that helps also reloading seemed to make it happen less does that make any sense to anyone ?

January 1, 2011
12:55 am
Charles
Members
Forum Posts: 36
1131sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am seeing the same problems with my 710. The tracking option is set to auto/continuous, but the tracks have significant gaps and miss terms. The interval between track points seems to be between about 10 seconds to 40 seconds, and does not really seem to be related to distance.

There is a secondary question as to the accuracy of the unit. The accuracy indicated by the unit is usually in the range of about 20 feet, but many of the tracks are off by over 100 feet.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply