Track mileage reporting | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Track mileage reporting
April 24, 2011
1:06 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2536sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a 710.
The compass won't affect the track log.
I've never had a problem calibrating the compass, in fact if I just wave it like the calibration page say's to it calibrates without going to the calibration page!

What will affect the track log is the track logging settings.
Go to 'Tools' - 'Settings' - 'Track Logging'.
The default setting is 'Auto Continuous', but you will get a much better track if you set it 'By Time' - either 1, 5 or 10 seconds.
One second will give you the best track but will reach the limit of points per track in 2.7 hours. So 5 seconds will cover a 10 hour hike.
The points per track limit is 10,000.
But you can up to save 200 tracks.

I have seen a big discrepancy in distance on the track when it is in default settings. It ends up cutting corners.
When I set it 'By Time' - 1, 5 or 10 seconds it's very accurate.

Look at the thread Track Quality on this forum for some discussions on this issue.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 23, 2011
10:15 pm
fredmugs
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I have the 710 and it is the first GPS unit I have ever owned. I did several local hikes with it prior to do a 180 mile hike on the PCT. On my local hikes the mileage always came up shorter than reported distances and what other hikers were reporting.

On the PCT it wasn't even close. One day I did a 23.9 mile hike and the track showed less thn 20 miles hiked. The unit was always hooked on my backpack strap and it was sunny all day.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/219992

One of the things I could never do was calibrate the electronic compass. Everytime it came up failed. Yesterday I got it to calibrate and did a walk on a local path and after the first mile it was exact. Obviosuly I need to test it out on a longer trail but does anyone believe that it was the electronic compass not being calibrated that caused my track mileage to be so far off?

I don't know if this is significant but I never check the odomoter data to compare it against the track data. I'm more concerned with following and reporting tracks and waypoints.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply