Topo software on Explorist 610 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Topo software on Explorist 610
August 1, 2011
9:16 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Scroll down on the Discussion Board and look for 'Custom Maps' and 'Atlas Creator' for discussions on custom maps.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

August 1, 2011
8:56 pm
Kealia
Members
Forum Posts: 18

I tried the Yellowstone and Yosemite and they work fine. I'm wondering about the full states, though.

Also curious as to a statement earlier in this thread that states you can load satellite maps/images in. Is there a link to a discussion about that?

Finally, how about loading in custom maps? What I mean is that many of my Garmin friends have loaded in calibrated PDFs of park trails - possible in some other format?

Thanks for any pointers.

August 1, 2011
8:50 pm
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
Forum Posts: 56

They work fine on my eX310 (within the memory limitations). Right now I have Wyoming, Colorado, and Yellowstone.

You can download something like Yellowstone without registering to try on your setup.

August 1, 2011
8:34 pm
Kealia
Members

So....on the maps4me site it says that the US States Topo Collection will not work on the eXplorists - is that still true? (I don't know how often that site is updated so forgive the question).

Those maps look nice!

July 31, 2011
4:34 am
rufrak
Members
Forum Posts: 30

Thanks Phil, I'll leave it alone!!

July 30, 2011
6:08 am
phild31
Members

Everyone bought a new card, they don't come with one.
Apparently installing and using the new card formats it.
If you feel like it you can copy everything on the card to your PC, then format the card and then put everything back on the card.
When you format it everything on it will be deleted.

So, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 😛

July 30, 2011
4:38 am
rufrak
Members
Forum Posts: 30

Morel wrote:

Drag and drop is the fastest way. But they need to go into the Map folder of the unit memory or the SD card. The SD card needs to be formatted in the unit to set up the proper file structure.

Rookie here - I didn't realise the SD card should be formatted. I bought a new one when I got my 610, installed it and have all my maps and stuff on it and everything seems to be working fine (although I did have some trouble getting some maps to work but everyone here helped and they're all working now). Should I save everything and format the card and then re-install it all?

July 28, 2011
3:52 am
Kealia
Members

Got it, thanks.

I just didn't go deep enough on that menu. Too anxious, not enough exploring before asking.

Now I need to go back to my home brewing forums where I can be the one answering questions for a while instead of asking 😉

Thanks again.

I'll be around now that I've found these boards.

July 28, 2011
3:49 am
Morel
Guests

Yes, tick them on/off in the maps menu. Tap on "Detailed Maps" to open the list of the *.imi maps loaded. This works the same for any "Image Maps" you have loaded. I currently have 20 image maps in the 710 with about half of them active.

July 28, 2011
3:34 am
Kealia
Members

Yeah, I put them in the MAP folder where the other similar files are. Is there somewhere I need to choose to display those maps that I'm missing?

July 28, 2011
3:28 am
Morel
Guests

Drag and drop is the fastest way. But they need to go into the Map folder of the unit memory or the SD card. The SD card needs to be formatted in the unit to set up the proper file structure.

July 28, 2011
3:20 am
Kealia
Members

I downloaded three maps from the site above (Yellowstone, Yosemite and Hawaii) and just did a simple drag and drop onto the 610 via Windows. I thought I would see somewhere on the MAPS menu to turn these new maps on, but I don't.

Do I have to load them via VP for the 610 to recognize them.
If so, any tips on how? I opened up the TRANSFER MAPS dialogue which looks a lot like a FTP client, but that assumes the maps are in VP already. How do I get them in there?

Thanks for the pointers. Feel like a kid in a candy store right now...

July 28, 2011
2:48 am
Kealia
Members

phild31 wrote:

The topo that comes on the 610 is better than Accu Terra on the Tritons.
There are trails on it.
Plus you can load custom maps and satellite images to it.
Check out maps4me for some choices of additional topo maps to use on the 610.

Not sure I just found this forums since I've had my unit for over a year now. I must spend too much time on my other boards...

Great link, thanks. I was just in Yellowstone a month ago. The built in maps were great, but the ones linked here look even better.

Off to play...

July 15, 2011
11:39 pm
Boondeck
Members
Forum Posts: 61

Here's a quick update. Magellan still has the trade in program. What's more, they don't care what model of Magellan you trade in. When they told me that I asked if they would take my Magellan GPS 300 and they said yes. So I got the trade in for a 610 for $269 and I keep my Triton. :cheer:

Right now, the now discontinued Garmin 60 CSX is closing out on Amazon for $239 plus software. I was really tempted, but the deal they offered me was too good to refuse. 🙂

It should arrive soon. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

WRW wrote:

I'm not sure if Magellan still has the trade-in program running but you could inquire about it and maybe you could trade your Triton for the Explorist at a discounted price. Just ask about the consumer loyatly program. I traded an old GPS 315 in for the X610 and it only cost me $270.

I must admit that since I started using my X610 I have only used my triton 2000 several times and that was to run oziexplorer with the Mod.

June 25, 2011
12:52 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400

phild31 wrote:

The 610 is in a whole other league compared to the Triton 400.
I have a Triton 2000 and now have a 710 to replace it, everything about the 610/710 is much better than the Tritons.
quote]

I agree. There's only one thing that I miss about my Triton 500 - the cradle that automatically connects external power when you clip the unit in. Other than that, it's a whole lot better.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

June 25, 2011
8:46 am
phild31
Members

If you liked the mod on the Triton, check out the Mod that sockeye made for the X10s, on this forum under 'Other Software' - Everything Else' - eXmod RC 1.0

June 25, 2011
5:46 am
WRW
Members
Forum Posts: 16

I'm not sure if Magellan still has the trade-in program running but you could inquire about it and maybe you could trade your Triton for the Explorist at a discounted price. Just ask about the consumer loyatly program. I traded an old GPS 315 in for the X610 and it only cost me $270.

I must admit that since I started using my X610 I have only used my triton 2000 several times and that was to run oziexplorer with the Mod.

June 24, 2011
6:30 pm
phild31
Members

The topo that comes on the 610 is better than Accu Terra on the Tritons.
There are trails on it.
Plus you can load custom maps and satellite images to it.
Check out maps4me for some choices of additional topo maps to use on the 610.

The 610 is in a whole other league compared to the Triton 400.
I have a Triton 2000 and now have a 710 to replace it, everything about the 610/710 is much better than the Tritons.

It really is worth the money.

June 24, 2011
6:08 pm
Boondeck
Members
Forum Posts: 61

I do not own the Explorist 610 but I understand it comes loaded with topo software that covers the USA.

I was wondering how good this software is. How does it compare with Accu Terra for example? Better? Worse? Does it include trails?

I am presently using a Triton 400 and have considered making the jump although I admit the $400 price of the Explorist holds me back a bit.

Thanks.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply