Suspend Mode tracking/reporting | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Suspend Mode tracking/reporting
June 6, 2011
2:02 am
fredmugs
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3227sp_Permalink sp_Print

To answer one of your questions the unit is always attached to my pack strap on the outside when I'm hiking unless of course it raining really hard.

I just did an out and back bike ride. I manually drew the course I rode on the ridewithgps website and it came out at 19.3 miles. I rode with the unit on, in bike mode, the electronic compass off, and it came out as 19.3 miles. I then saved that track and started a new one and immediately placed it in suspend mode. When I got home it was 19.3 miles. Looks like it works on the bike.

When I hike I am on well marked courses with mileage markers. Others I am hiking with get the same results as the markers but I am always in the 10% under range.

I never check anything realtive to Vantage Point - that thing is pretty much worthless. Thanks for your input.

June 3, 2011
2:52 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3193sp_Permalink sp_Print

While in suspend mode is the unit uncovered and positioned to get good satellite reception?
I've found that with it in a case, pocket or under a jacket it will be 8% to 10% off.
I have not done much testing in suspend mode so I'm not sure if it's as accurate.

One other question, did you compare the odometer with the saved track on VP.
I'm starting to think the problem may be in the active track display.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 3, 2011
2:28 am
fredmugs
Members
Forum Posts: 5

I am still having problems getting my 710 to accurately report track mileage. I have set the track time to one second, calibrated the compass, etc etc. It tracks fine but the reported mileage for the track still clocks in around 10% less than whatever I do and the odometer is always less than the track which doesn't make any sense at all. At least be consistently wrong.

Normally I hike with it in Suspend mode to save batteries but I also tried going down a walking trail that was marked every 1/4 mile. I kept the unit on and it was 100% accurate over the entire 2.25 miles.

Would keeping the unit in Suspend mode allow the track to continue but somehow not record the mileage as well? I'm pretty much running out of things to try.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply