Sort by nearest on 310 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Sort by nearest on 310
June 27, 2011
6:40 pm
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
Forum Posts: 56
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3516sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Allory,
I do have one idea that we can try - please send a copy of your GPX file to me at [email protected] and let me try it on my 310 to see what happens!

The problem has gone away, but I'm curious whether you had a chance to try the file on your 310. The file which was causing the problems worked fine on my Garmin Dakota and didn't cause any problems with several windows and mac based apps. Just curious.

June 21, 2011
7:53 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3431sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Good find Phil - I will forward this to Magellan Tech Support so they can put it on their online tech support and so they're techies will have the answer when someone calls...

David

Just another straw I grasped at. :S
This problem was kind of strange, I was hoping it was something relatively easy to correct.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 21, 2011
6:28 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3429sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good find Phil - I will forward this to Magellan Tech Support so they can put it on their online tech support and so they're techies will have the answer when someone calls...

David

June 21, 2011
6:24 pm
phild31
Members
3428sp_Permalink sp_Print

That's great, glad we could help.
By the way, dropping the GPX files into the unit will not give you the attached pictures of the caches.
To get the pictures you must use either VP or GSAK to load the GPSr.

If you haven't used GSAK I would recommend trying it.

June 21, 2011
4:34 pm
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
3425sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, this morning I got the new pocket query with gpx v. 1.0.1 and everything is working as it should.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I'll probably be back with other questions.

June 21, 2011
2:19 pm
Morel
Guests
3422sp_Permalink sp_Print

These units come with a "top 1000.gpx" (or named something like that) file in the geocache folder. Try deleting this file, if you didn't do it already.

June 21, 2011
11:29 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
3421sp_Permalink sp_Print

Allory,

I don't have a 310 but have seen this a number of times on the 710. On the 710 it can be fixed by deleteing the UGDS.BIN file, don't know if there is such a file on the 310 but there will be an equivalent.

See how David gets on with your .gpx file but I would not be surprised if it works OK in his unit. I believe the UGDS.BIN hold a linked list of the geocaches and this then points to the .gpx file. Could be incorrect as it is all guess work without any documentation.

Graham.

June 21, 2011
8:42 am
David
Members
3420sp_Permalink sp_Print

Allory,

I am deeply at a loss here, because I also have a 310 and have had it since before the product was released and I've never seen this behavior in it. Actually, the 310 has proven to be the most stable unit of the eX10 line including the GC - so I'm truly at a loss here. If the unit it new I would suggest taking it back to the store. I would suggest getting you a new unit straight from our friends at Magellan and having to send it to the product manager for testing - however, he's going to be out of town till next week and I would want you to have to wait.

I do have one idea that we can try - please send a copy of your GPX file to me at [email protected] and let me try it on my 310 to see what happens!

Thanks,
David

June 21, 2011
3:42 am
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
3419sp_Permalink sp_Print

The preference was set to v. 1.0, has now been set to 1.0.1. I'll check again in the morning to see if it makes any difference. My primary reason for not thinking it will is that the same thing is happening with my waypoints which were transferred over from another unit.

In looking a bit more, the caches start at 2.07 miles and seem to progress in order up to 23.6 miles.
At that point they restart at 3407 feet and progress in order up to 2.07 miles.
Another glitch restarts them at 1.07 miles and progress up to 1.92 miles.
Then back up to 24.4 miles through 40.1 miles, which seems to be the end of that pocket query.

With the waypoints it breaks out as 8.74-22.8 mi, followed by 12 ft - 3.47 mi, then 1.24-129 mi, then 107-220, 147-end.

I'm pretty much at a loss at this point. I have restored to factory settings and also pushed the reset button. So far nothing has changed.

The 310 is claiming software versions:
Core version: 1.08
Software version: ver 01.08
Software date: 02/15/11
GPS Firmware version: N/A
OS version: B09.00

Once again, thanks for any ideas.

June 21, 2011
2:46 am
phild31
Members
3418sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is strange.
One last thing, are you using GPX version 1.0.1 ?
If not or if you are not sure go to 'Your Account Details' from your profile on GC.com.
Scroll down to 'Your Preferences' and look for 'GPX Version' at the bottom of the page.
If it's set at 1 change it to 1.0.1

As this thing percolates through my head I'll probably think of something else to try.
Let us know if it gets solved or if it continues, we do want to help.

June 21, 2011
2:03 am
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
3417sp_Permalink sp_Print

Still no good.It starts at 2 miles, increases distance for 46 caches, then starts over at about 3000' and goes up again. The cycle repeats three time within the pocket query I have loaded.

June 21, 2011
1:20 am
phild31
Members
3415sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just thought of something else.
When I search for a cache by ID or name I usually just type in the first few letters or numbers, that gives me a partial list of caches and that list will keep coming up sorted by ID or name until I go back to 'Search by ID' and clear the last search I did.

It's not much but I'm again out of ideas.

June 21, 2011
12:56 am
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
3414sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good satellite lock. Everything seems to be working except the sorting by nearest. No change in behavior. It still won't sort correctly. I've reloaded them a couple of times. They're all there, just not sorted by distance.

June 21, 2011
12:31 am
phild31
Members
3413sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, that should work.
One stupid sounding question, were you getting a satellite signal?

I don't remember what the manual says but try unzipping the PQ and drop the geocache file in geocaches and the waypoints file in waypoints on the 310, if you didn't already do that.

I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.
I've never had this problem with my GC.

June 21, 2011
12:21 am
David
Members
3412sp_Permalink sp_Print

Allory,

Did this behavior clear up and you found your first cache with the unit or did it continue throughout the day?

David

June 21, 2011
12:04 am
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
3411sp_Permalink sp_Print

My settings look exactly like yours.
I loaded the caches by doing a pocket query at geocaching.com and just dropping the gpx file in the geocache folder on the 310 (as described on page 17 of the manual).

June 20, 2011
11:31 pm
phild31
Members
3410sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a GC, not a 310 but if the settings are similar this is what my GC settings page looks like on 'Sort & Search';

If you are sure the settings are correct I would ask how you loaded the cache files to the 310.
When I use VP I usually have problems.
I now use GSAK exclusively to load files to my GPSr.

I would suggest re-loading the cache files and try again.

June 20, 2011
8:59 pm
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members

Just picked up a 310 on Friday. Loaded waypoints and local caches and headed out to familiarize myself with the unit. The first thing I noticed is that with with the sort set to nearest the closest waypoint listed is 10 miles away. This is followed by 22.3 miles, 29.2 miles, and home finally shows about 10th in the list at 963 feet.

I chose to ignore that for the moment and look at geocaches. Even though there are three within a mile of my house there are none listed within two miles. I can find the closer ones by searching by number or name, but when nearest is chosen it ignores about a dozen that are actually the closest and starts at 2.07 miles.

I'm willing to admit that I might be doing something wrong, but have no idea what that might be. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply