Software version 5.93 | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Software version 5.93
June 14, 2011
2:35 pm
FelixII
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3308sp_Permalink sp_Print

We updated to 5.93 and all day today kept losing my list of caches altogether. The only common denominator was logging a find. Sometimes it asked for next closest cache sometimes it didn't. Sometimes I selected the next cache and sometimes I didn't. The only thing I know for sure was that there were no caches at all in my list. I had to power off the unit and reboot it.

June 13, 2011
6:01 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3300sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had cleared all cache & waypoint files, then loaded new cache files to the 710 and the 'find next closest' started working for me.
But it gives me just three caches, the closest, on the list.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 13, 2011
3:56 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
3298sp_Permalink sp_Print

Before this release, it wasn't working for me either. Then the last weekend before the update, it started working. Very strange.

June 13, 2011
3:22 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
3296sp_Permalink sp_Print

The same to me. I allready reported this. I have "arabian sea" and another areas over there.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

June 13, 2011
7:09 am
ryan3295
Members
Forum Posts: 16
3294sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

The 'find next closest' now works for me on my unit.
I have no idea why it didn't before or why it works now!

The find next closest isn't working for me. When I select yes I get two results that have nothing to do with geocaching and are a long ways from home! I have no idea if it was working before the update as I never tried it.

June 12, 2011
5:22 am
phild31
Members
3290sp_Permalink sp_Print

The 'find next closest' now works for me on my unit.
I have no idea why it didn't before or why it works now!

The Quick info on a bar is much better than a bubble.
You can choose which way you want it - 'Map Options' - 'Quick Info: Style' -

Some screenshots;

Attached files

quickinfo1.png

June 12, 2011
4:30 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
3288sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

3. "Find next closest" screen seems to have disappeared. After pressing "Found" it now goes to the Details screen of the cache and not to the "Find next closest". A good solution as we probably all now use the hard button for "Next closest" in any case.

Correction
The “Find next closest Geocache?” screen is still there and does come up after pressing “Found”. It didn’t come up when I first tested it because I had selected a GoTo and then “Suspend(ed)” the GPS. When I started the GPS up again the procedure is not the same – ie the Details of the cache do not appear when the Geocache assigned button is pressed, but the “All Nearest” list appears. So “Found” was pressed after selecting the cache again to bring up the cache options list. And when doing it this way the “Find next closest Geocache?” does not appear afterwards.

However – when the “Find next closest” does appear, it still does not work on 5.92.

Update
5. When you select a POI directly from the screen (scrolling screen and tapping on a POI) the details now appear on the top of the screen in a dark transparent block. Used to appear in a whitish block over the actual POI.
I like it – and a pin with a red top is placed on the POI that you selected, just to make sure it is the one that you wanted.

June 12, 2011
4:24 am
phild31
Members
3287sp_Permalink sp_Print

rswhitmarsh wrote:

Caotix wrote:

Jim S wrote:

Did the 5.93 update move the Zoom +/- touch screen buttons from the upper right to the middle right of the screen? I am finding that I accidently hit the zoom buttons while panning, but I do not remember that being a problem before. Anyone else notice this?

Yeap, they moved them down a bit.
For me, it suits me.

I think the + and - buttons were moved to accommodate the very large GOTO button that shows up on panning, then tapping the screen. Maybe. That's the only sense that I can make of it.

That looks like the answer, it suits me also.
Here's some screenshots;

Old;

New;

June 11, 2011
11:41 pm
rswhitmarsh
Members
3284sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

Jim S wrote:

Did the 5.93 update move the Zoom +/- touch screen buttons from the upper right to the middle right of the screen? I am finding that I accidently hit the zoom buttons while panning, but I do not remember that being a problem before. Anyone else notice this?

For me, it suits me.

I think the + and - buttons were moved to accommodate the very large GOTO button that shows up on panning, then tapping the screen. Maybe. That's the only sense that I can make of it.

June 11, 2011
10:15 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
3283sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim S wrote:

For me, it suits me.

June 11, 2011
9:15 pm
Jim S
Members
Forum Posts: 20
3281sp_Permalink sp_Print

June 11, 2011
6:36 pm
Caotix
Members
3279sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

When I ask how the latest problems with their units are being fixed they get very defensive and say Garmin will fix it soon. :ohmy:

June 11, 2011
2:53 pm
warfieldm
Members
3277sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, that's never worked for me before. Just did a sync using vantage point and for the first time it sync'ed the data from the SD as well. Wasn't expecting that.

June 11, 2011
2:45 pm
phild31
Members
3275sp_Permalink sp_Print

Caotix wrote:

Phil, when the size of the arrow is the biggest pain my eX gives me,
I do have a piece of gold in my hand. :woohoo: I never had a better GPS then my 710 and I do feel sorry for all my friends which have those Oregons or Dakotas :laugh:

Yeah, you're right. :dry:
But I don't feel too sorry for some of my friends with Oregons & Dakotas, no matter how good other brands are they have been obnoxious in deriding everything not a Garmin.
When I ask how the latest problems with their units are being fixed they get very defensive and say Garmin will fix it soon. :ohmy:
The sensible Oregon or Dakota owners are at least looking at the new Magellan and DeLorme units and getting more & more upset with Garmin for just coming out with new units while their year old units still won't work right.

June 11, 2011
9:58 am
Caotix
Members
3274sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Caotix wrote:

Yeah, the Arrow is still a pain. :S

I really don't understand the problem with the arrow size.
I don't want to see a small arrow, I like being able to see the darn thing at a glance.
Maybe a choice of size would be nice but for now just zoom in a bit;

Phil, when the size of the arrow is the biggest pain my eX gives me,
I do have a piece of gold in my hand. :woohoo: I never had a better GPS then my 710 and I do feel sorry for all my friends which have those Oregons or Dakotas :laugh:

June 11, 2011
8:16 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
3273sp_Permalink sp_Print

First Impressions;

1. “Cancel Route” logs.txt file disappearing is fixed.

2. Geocaches showing ‘ERROR’ not see but too early to be sure.

3. Compass calibration – unable to detect and difference. The compass still often requires calibration and can be difficult to achieve. As I have said before the previous firmware version (V4.83) did not change my perception of the compass. My 710 compass issues were there from day one.

David, did Eric indicate if Magellan made any changes in this area with this latest firmware? The only possible difference I could detect was that the spin rate when un-calibrated may have increased.

4. ‘Find next closest geocache’ appear to be working. If you are receiving no caches as Phil indicated then dare I say it but you ‘Linked List’ is corrupted and you will need to delete the UGDS.BIN file. This will fix it and next time you will receive a full list of geocaches.

Graham.

June 11, 2011
6:05 am
Jim S
Members
Forum Posts: 20
3272sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Jim S wrote:

Just to beat the arrow size discussion to death...

I opened the PDF of the x10 user manual and the cover picture shows the arrow on the 510 image to be much smaller than the 610, which is shown about the actual size. Is this really what the 510 has or is this just a simulated image that is not to scale?

The size shown on the 510 picture is what I would like on my 710. The transparent arrow is a great idea too.

Did you notice the arrow on the 710 in that cover picture?
Those are obviously simulated images.

Yeah, the 710 image shows the road map in 3D. That oblique view isn't really comparable. I think you are right about the arrow not covering the detail (at least how I use the unit). To me its a cosmetic thing - I just do not like the big blue arrow dominating the view of the map.

June 11, 2011
6:03 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3271sp_Permalink sp_Print

It makes we wish I still had my boat!
y

June 11, 2011
4:53 am
ryan3295
Members
Forum Posts: 16
3269sp_Permalink sp_Print

In case anyone is interested here are a few screen shots of Navionics hotmaps working on my 710.

June 11, 2011
3:16 am
phild31
Members
3268sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim S wrote:

Just to beat the arrow size discussion to death...

I opened the PDF of the x10 user manual and the cover picture shows the arrow on the 510 image to be much smaller than the 610, which is shown about the actual size. Is this really what the 510 has or is this just a simulated image that is not to scale?

The size shown on the 510 picture is what I would like on my 710. The transparent arrow is a great idea too.

Did you notice the arrow on the 710 in that cover picture?
Those are obviously simulated images.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply