Software updates 6.04-510, 6.05-610, 6.06-710 | Page 3 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Software updates 6.04-510, 6.05-610, 6.06-710
August 2, 2011
3:22 am
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I just noticed today on my 710 that the little icon on the top right hand side of the screen (mode icon), doesnt change when I put the unit into vehicle mode,it still shows the hiker. Im pretty sure that before the update the icon would show a car when in vehicle mode, anyone else notice this?

July 28, 2011
1:10 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143

Great, that's it? :dry:
Better go back to 4.83 :S

July 28, 2011
12:51 pm
Caotix
Members

The final Software is out for download on Maggies page.
hope they fixed some of those errors or I switch back again :woohoo:

July 28, 2011
12:42 pm
Caotix
Members

For me it is a problem. :woohoo: That's why I went back to 4.83 also. :unsure:
Hope they will fix it in the next release :blink:

July 26, 2011
8:06 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

That has been happening with the last two updates.
I never use it anyway so for me it's not a problem.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 26, 2011
11:49 am
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93

I found the same thing but not every time it was sporadic. After logging one of my logs I got a binary code screen.

Another thing I didn't like is it seem to still go a bit wonky at times when going toward a cache even without any overhead canopy.

I decided to reinstall my backup 4.83 and wait until the bugs are worked out.

July 24, 2011
10:50 pm
litngbug
Members
Forum Posts: 42

So has anyone seen any differences in the update? I was just toying around with mine and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.

'bug

July 22, 2011
8:08 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

phild31 wrote:

garcor wrote:

As for being a beta tester I think there is no better way for companies to have there customers test it in the field.

You have to understand that a "beta tester" does not buy the unit he/she is testing, the company gives it to him/her.
When the testing is done he/she sends the unit back and then are given a new one.
In other words, they are hired to test the units.

Hmmm, that is interesting. I wasn't hired for anything and yes I've received a couple of units from Magellan to "TEST"; however, I only do beta testing for them on the units that I've also purchased with my own money. But, I also think we all get your point Phil.

However, that software wasn't put out there for us Beta Testers, because that isn't the way we receive our updates. Remember the stink about the website ops putting the page up with a password. Well, after reporting everyones dislike of that process appearently the designer designed to do do a pre-release design a different way!!!

Later,
David

July 21, 2011
10:36 pm
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22

I installed the update yesterday on my 710 as soon as I saw it was available. Nothing looks or seems to work any differently, other than my compass seems to lose calibration every 5 minutes now instead of every 10.
Hopefully when they officially release it there will be some noticeable changes.

July 21, 2011
5:14 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251

Now the DL-Link is password protected. So, someone is working on the Page...

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

July 21, 2011
3:11 pm
phild31
Members

Ok, now I understand it better.

I was using a colloquial term for 'beta tester'.
But the updates from Magellan, when they are released on the website, are not listed as part of a beta testing program.

The 'beta testers' of Magellan's new units and software are testing products that are not available to the general public.

When I buy or use a product I expect to be informed that it and I are part of a beta testing program.

Google+, Internet Explorer10 and Firefox6 are all clearly marked as beta products, as is the Where-I-Go from Groundspeak, to name a few 'beta' products I use.

July 21, 2011
8:31 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64

phild31 wrote:

You have to understand that a "beta tester" does not buy the unit he/she is testing, the company gives it to him/her.
When the testing is done he/she sends the unit back and then are given a new one.

Sorry but that's simply not true, you can have both open and closed Beta testing programs. The BlackBerry beta program (www.blackberry.com/beta) for example is open to anyone who wants to join and you use your own hardware. Beta testing is all about usability.

The most famous example was Gmail which was in Beta for 5 years (till 2009), and the current Google+ which is gaining popularity is a Beta. Microsoft Internet Explorer 10 is currently in public Beta, as is Firefox 6. Microsoft also releases all of their OSs as open Betas, as does Apple who has been known to even charge users for access to the Beta software. I could go on but I think everyone gets the point.

You are thinking of Alpha testing, which should definitely be something someone should only use on company provided hardware, though open Alpha tests do exist.

If anyone wants a complete explanation of Software release cycles may I suggest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.....life_cycle

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

July 21, 2011
3:09 am
garcor
Members

phild31 wrote:

garcor wrote:

As for being a beta tester I think there is no better way for companies to have there customers test it in the field.

I hear you there it is just that I have seen the same issues on the TomTom forum.. I must admit it would be better if they would give us some sort of payment for testing there products,

July 21, 2011
2:46 am
phild31
Members

garcor wrote:

July 21, 2011
2:04 am
garcor
Members

I did download and give it a spin so far I haven't found any issues mind you i only drove with it for about 20 miles , no walking or caching yet.

I might be wrong but I wound think if you have a Complete Explorer backup including previous software then you should be fine. providing you have your folder options set up like this.

{ http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/.....8;p=280501 }

This is the setup of folder for doing TomTom backup but I would think it will be the same.

As I have said in the past I have gone through several software updates From TomTom and some were buggy but most were not.

July 21, 2011
1:34 am
phild31
Members

Yeah, I know that.
That's why I won't load an update until I know it's been released officially.

If this version has as many problems as the last two I don't want to hear, "It was a tragic mistake that I got the beta version that ruined my 710, just buy a new 710 and everything will be fine."

PS;
I've been complaining for months about all of us being unpaid beta testers. 😛 Laugh

July 21, 2011
1:26 am
KI4HLW
Members

phild31 wrote:

KI4HLW wrote:

phild31 wrote:

I'm not gonna be a beta tester for nothing!

Somehow I feel like we already are..... but your right it wasn't for nothing, we paid $500+ for the privilege.

When I load an officially released update I'm not 'beta testing' anything, the beta testers already have tested it.
If it doesn't work it's Maggies responsibility to make it right.
But, if I modify my 710 with something that is not an official Magellan product I do so at my own risk!

Kinda missed my point, I was commenting on the buggyness of the code that has been officially released.

P.S.
this is a discussion forum, everyone has the right to an opinion... please don't feel that if mine differs from yours it is a personal attack. If we all agreed it would be a pretty borring forum with nothing to discuss.

July 21, 2011
1:24 am
KI4HLW
Members

phild31 wrote:

I don't think it's a good idea to install this update until it is officially released.

I guess everyone has their own opinion on that, I always tried leaked OS's on my Blackberry Phones, and now that I switched to Android I rooted my phone and run a custom ROM. I also Beta Test every Microsoft OS and IE release.

Why no release notes? - Web guy is probably waiting for them to post, I'm sure they exist somewhere as every internal build should have release notes just so programers know what was done.

Why no update notification?
- because its not officially released, if there was an update notification before it was announced I'd actually be scared of their QA process.

Why is it gone now? - He never stated it was on the downloads page, only that he found them while "poking around on the Magellan support page".

And most importantly, do I void my warranty by installing an update that's not been released officially? - That's a risk only you can decide to take, I'm willing to assume if it got far enough in the process to post to the site it probably won't brick my GPS.

For some people the risk is worth knowing they are running the latest and greatest.

July 21, 2011
1:15 am
phild31
Members

KI4HLW wrote:

phild31 wrote:

I'm not gonna be a beta tester for nothing!

Somehow I feel like we already are..... but your right it wasn't for nothing, we paid $500+ for the privilege.

When I load an officially released update I'm not 'beta testing' anything, the beta testers already have tested it.
If it doesn't work it's Maggies responsibility to make it right.
But, if I modify my 710 with something that is not an official Magellan product I do so at my own risk!

July 21, 2011
1:07 am
phild31
Members

I don't think it's a good idea to install this update until it is officially released.

The questions I have;

Why no release notes?
Why no update notification?
Why is it gone now?
And most importantly, do I void my warranty by installing an update that's not been released officially?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply