Software updates 6.04-510, 6.05-610, 6.06-710 | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Software updates 6.04-510, 6.05-610, 6.06-710
September 18, 2011
9:49 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi David,

I never doubted you were watching as always, I just want to pinch Phil's 710. 😛

Graham.

September 18, 2011
9:10 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

Just an added note - please don't think I've disappeared, I've just been really, really busy with everything starting back up at the church for the new school year; however, I continue to read every post and report every issue.

David

September 18, 2011
9:08 am
David
Members

My eX710 spins horribly, to the point that I now ignore the GPS while standing still or moving slowly and yes I've reported it to Magellan and it is on the top of the priority list and they are working towards another firmware release - but I can't say as to when...

David

September 18, 2011
8:02 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

Right, it is more than likely a hardware issue with your unit.
There seems to be something broken, physically, with-in the unit.
My unit had only a software issue.
If it is a software issue then all of the units would have the same problem, wouldn't they?
An update caused my problems and another update fixed them, only the programing was changed on my unit.
So, if it is a physical problem/defect and not a software issue the only cure is to repair the unit or replace it.

As a not closely related point of interest, quite a few years ago the first batch of Explorist XL units all had to be recalled.
I was informed, by Magellan, there was a problem in the manufacturing process that failed to make several connections on the board in the unit.
And the replacement unit I was sent had a broken connection to the battery post that I repaired myself.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

September 18, 2011
4:40 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members

That being the case, it would point to a hardware issue. Maybe come variation in the magnetic field sensor or tilt sensor or both in the digital compass units. My 710 works fine in all other respects.

I know David has reported this issue To Magellan, as many other are also experiencing the problem. Hopefully David will receive some feedback shortly.

September 18, 2011
3:34 am
phild31
Members

No, my 710 had the spinning problem a while ago, just a few times and deleting the UGDS.BIN file cured it until I loaded new data to the unit or logged a found cache message.
Then deleting the UGDS file would cure it.
The last update fixed it permanently, I have never had the problem since.
In fact, except for the software problem caused by an update the compass has always worked fine all the time, moving slowly or stopped it works fine.
It does not ever spin, wobble, swing or go out of calibration.

If your unit does any of these things most of the time it is, in my opinion, defective.
I think you should send it back for a replacement.

September 18, 2011
1:19 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members

Phil,

If you are going to a cache and when near GZ you place the unit on the ground (or moving slowly) while searching, do you not find that the compass will start spinning after a few minutes.

If so, it's very interesting as my unit will do it most of the time.

Graham.

September 17, 2011
5:53 pm
phild31
Members

It seems to be related.
I had the spinning problem once but it hasn't happened since the last update.

What worked for me was to connect the 710 to the computer, open the USR file folder in the 710 and delete the UGDS.BIN file.
The unit will generate a new file when it indexes data after unplugging from the computer.

Apparently the UGDS.BIN file will sometimes be corrupted.
It's worth a try to see if it clears the problem.

September 17, 2011
3:43 pm
Chris
Members
Forum Posts: 12

I'm new to Magellan having always had a Garmin Oregon. Magellan are now starting to sell the eXplorists into the UK market. Just got a 710 which has 6.06 software but I've had the spinning compass several times. Calibrating it seems to stop it but doing a side by side comparison of the Oregon and 710 when going to a cache shows the 710 compass 'wanders' a lot more and sometimes 'freezes' when I stop moving. Is this all related to the 'spinning' problem?

Thanks

Chris

August 12, 2011
3:03 am
David
Members

The spinning compass is being forwarded to Magellan...

David

August 11, 2011
4:47 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members

I know Phil and I have had different experiences on this subject.

I have had the ‘Spinning Map/Compass’ issue with my 710 from when I first turned it on. The different firmware updates have made no notable effect on the problem.

You cannot rely on the calibrated icon; it will indicate that the compass is calibrated when it is not. You can prove this by selecting the compass screen from the dashboard. If the map is spinning the compass will also be spinning. Calibrating the compass will stop the spinning.

The compass dropping out of calibration, even with the unit stationary, is the most frustrating issue I have with my 710. The unit will sometimes recalibrate itself if you are moving but I usually just run it through the calibration routine as I approach the cache if the map starts spinning.

The calibration routine will most often indicate that it failed to calibrate the compass but this is normally incorrect. Switch back to the map screen and it will not be spinning and a check of the dashboard compass screen will agree, not that this is necessary to check.

Graham.

August 11, 2011
3:41 pm
phild31
Members

I have only gotten the spinning compass after an update.
The 3rd update is when I got the problem, the next update fixed it for me.
This was the first time it has spun like that in months and it only did it that one time.

Try going into the USR file of the unit and delete the UGDS.BIN file.
That file would sometimes be corrupted during indexing/startup and deleting it would clear the problems.
The unit will generate a new file when it re-boots.

For it to be a hardware problem I think it would be a defective unit.
If you can live without the compass wait for the next update, if it still is no good send it back for a replacement.

August 11, 2011
2:32 pm
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22

Phil, Im assuming that the spinning map has something to do with the compass calibration because everytime the map spins, it stops when I recalibrate the compass, even if the compass icon wasnt showing red to indicate compass out of calibration. My map was constantly going into spin mode on my 710, got so tired of it I finally shut the compass off about a week ago and it hasnt gone into spin mode since. Im wondering if I might have a defective unit and I should return it, or if I should wait for the next update to see if it gets fixed.

August 10, 2011
2:30 pm
phild31
Members

I had the spinning compass problem a few days ago.
Usually I have the map set for track up, I set it for north up and the spinning stopped.
Then I re-set it for track up and have had no problem since.

BTW, the compass was calibrated when it was spinning, I've had no problems with calibration at all.

August 10, 2011
2:20 pm
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22

The compass issue does seem like it got worse with this update. I got tired of constantly calibrating it to get the map to stop spinning so I just shut it right off. Maybe the next update will address it unless its a hardware issue.

August 10, 2011
12:43 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251

With this update, I do have the "spinning compass issue", we have seen earlier. This is the first time, i do have this issue really bad.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

August 10, 2011
12:10 am
jmebd
Members
Forum Posts: 184

So far I'm very happy with the 6.06 x710 firmware update and have had no issues.....other than the lingering "find next nearest cache" not working after logging a find. My unit is quite speedy in navigating and "seems" to be a bit more touch sensitive on screen... Perhaps it was experiencing some of the addressed "lag, lockup, etc" issues listed as corrected.

Thanks to Magellan for the continued striving for excellence!

August 3, 2011
1:01 am
allory
Laramie, Wyoming
Members
Forum Posts: 56
August 2, 2011
3:42 am
phild31
Members

Here's a link to a discussion we had about the hiker icon about 5 months ago. - caching icons and Profiles

August 2, 2011
3:33 am
phild31
Members

No, that icon has always been a hiker, never a car.
The icon shows when you are on a route/go-to.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply