Software updates 6.04-510, 6.05-610, 6.06-710 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Software updates 6.04-510, 6.05-610, 6.06-710
September 22, 2011
7:20 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 89
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I agree. Out of the two Garmins and three Magellans I have owned, my Explorist 610 has definitely provided me with the best experience.

MiTac has provided better customer service than Garmin.

I have tested/used my new Explorist 610 for about 3 weeks now and am finally confident enough to carry it on long solo backpacking trips.

September 22, 2011
6:35 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

Chris,
That's very good using folders on the SD card, I never thought of doing that. :blush:

So far Magellan has been fairly good responding to issues with the new units.
Their people have been listening to us, they have been adding features and have been pretty good fixing firmware problems.

It's just not easy waiting for an update, patience is not one of my strongest virtues.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

September 22, 2011
5:14 pm
Chris
Members
Forum Posts: 12

Compass arrow on the map. This is a screenshot from my Oregon. The top right data field is 'Pointer' which I like instead of switching between map and compass screen. It was this feature I couldn't see how to do on the 710.

Chris

September 22, 2011
5:06 pm
Chris
Members

Multiple PQ/GPX files. eXplorist 710.
I created 3 folders on the SD card (Wales, West, South) and put several PQ's files *.gpx and *-wpts.gpx into each of them. I also loaded two files from another PQ into the Waypoints and Geocaches folder. These are the ones you see when you select 'Geocaches' from the menu.
Then, using Export you can copy the 'geocaches' and 'waypoints' from their respective folders to spare folders on the SD card and then delete the waypoints and geocaches from the waypoints and geocaches folder.
Then using Import you copy a 'spare' PQ from a folder on the SD card into the 'geocaches' and 'waypoint' folders and you have a 'new' PQ to use. So using this facility you can keep an almost unlimited number of PQ's on the SD card and use what you want.

Chris

September 22, 2011
4:42 pm
phild31
Members

There are issues with the new Explorists, but my 710 works fine.
I've used Garmin Colorados & Oregons, DeLorme PN 40 & PN 60 - the Explorist 710 is better than all of them.
Right now I have two Garmins, just sold a DeLorme and have 4 Magellans and have been using gps receivers since the 1990s
In total I've owned over 18 different GPS receivers over the years.
These new Explorists are the best GPS receivers I've used.

September 22, 2011
4:03 pm
phild31
Members

Um, what Explorist are you talking about?

The old Explorist XL can hold an unlimited number of caches in folders, but only in LOC file, not GPX.
The new Explorist 510/610/710 can hold 10,000 caches using GPX file.

When you are in 'North Up' you always know witch way north is, it's UP!
But when not in north up you always have a compass arrow showing.
The first screenshot is in 'Track UP' :

The next two are in 'North Up'
First I'm facing east;

Next I'm facing west

September 22, 2011
2:56 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93

On the Oregon you can have a small compass arrow in a data field on the map (I always have my map in 'North Up' mode). You can't do this on the eXplorist, only have a field with bearing number. A bit annoying but nothing to shout about. Chris

I believe you can have the compass showing on the maps if you like.

Not sure if this is what you mean but just tap screen on lower right corner show compass and it will overlay your map.

September 22, 2011
9:31 am
Chris
Members

That long list would equally apply to an Oregon. You can't link child waypoints to caches nor navigate to the next stage easily. You can only store the max number of geocaches (5000 on mine). With the eXplorist you can store an unlimited number in folders and import/export what you need (I like that feature!). On the Oregon you can have a small compass arrow in a data field on the map (I always have my map in 'North Up' mode). You can't do this on the eXplorist, only have a field with bearing number. A bit annoying but nothing to shout about. The list goes on. You can't provide all the features that everyone wants and everyone will like :laugh:
As I said in an earlier post, this is my first experience of Magellan. I don't expect them to be any better or worse than Garmin. But I would hope that as the eXplorist x10 series is recently launched into the UK they'll respond quickly to issues to boost customer confidence.

Chris

September 22, 2011
3:21 am
phild31
Members

troylee wrote:

complainer?

the spinning map bug,
support for OSM T by T routing,
the "next cache bug",
the "next stage feature",
assign the choosed map to the profiles,
assign the "childwaypoints" to the cache,
remove the 2000 waypoint limit,
rename the cachewaypoints during import to "WP-Name/Geocache-name",
solve the coordinate bug when editing a coordinate,
add waypoint projection from a saved waypoint,
add a calculator app,
add a "SAve and GOTO" button to the "add a new waypoint menu",
make it possible to freeze the data fields in the map everytime you touch a field you come to the datafield selection menu
and so on
and so on

I'm with you troylee, if you are not happy with a Magellan product that doesn't mean you should just keep quiet about it or get something else.

RANT, RAVE and COMPLAIN when your new $500 unit does not work as advertised!
If we complain enough about the problems, Magellan will at least know that there are customers that are unhappy and are LOUDLY complaining about it to anyone & everyone who will listen, like potential new customers!

September 22, 2011
12:30 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

You already have Magellan's ear! I am constantly in contact with them and although I can't share everything that I'm told, they're working the issue and there will be a new firmware update coming out; but as I said I can't give a date.

However, if anyone thinks that Garmin is that much better, you should talk to a friend of mine that is now on her 3rd Garmin Oregon and has not had one last for more than 6 months. Appearently there is a firmware issue with it that causes the unit to crash and it cannot be recovered so the unit has to be replaced. Luckily, todate she's been give free replacement units; however, when we were out caching the new E.T. Highway the unit she now has was beginning to act up and she's pretty sure that it too will have to replaced in the next few weeks and isn't sure if she'll have to pay for the next one or not. If so, she may not have an Oregon or a Garmin any longer!!!

I know that the spinning compass is an issue, but so does Magellan and the product manager is on top of it. However, although unfortunately it takes more than a couple of days to roll out a new firmware update.

David

September 22, 2011
12:19 am
troylee
Members

complainer?

the spinning map bug,
support for OSM T by T routing,
the "next cache bug",
the "next stage feature",
assign the choosed map to the profiles,
assign the "childwaypoints" to the cache,
remove the 2000 waypoint limit,
rename the cachewaypoints during import to "WP-Name/Geocache-name",
solve the coordinate bug when editing a coordinate,
add waypoint projection from a saved waypoint,
add a calculator app,
add a "SAve and GOTO" button to the "add a new waypoint menu",
make it possible to freeze the data fields in the map everytime you touch a field you come to the datafield selection menu
and so on
and so on

September 21, 2011
11:59 pm
ricksto
Members
Forum Posts: 22

Go buy a Garmin if you think they are superior...... You're just a complainer.

September 21, 2011
9:24 pm
troylee
Members

I think the time is come not to keep longer still and do waiting for Godot.
Hope somebody will support my post on the Facebook Magellan Outdoor an d GPS pages to give us finally a firmware that is equivalent with the hardware of the x10 series.
I think the only possibility is to group together and fire our needs to the social networks, hopefully Magellan notice the urgency.
I don´t want wasted words from Magellan and I don´t want to wait since next year.
I want want a firmware that is functionally close to garmin units.

No, it is not too much to ask for a 500 bucks unit.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/.....75?sk=wall
and here
http://www.facebook.com/MagellanGPS

posted the same in groundspeak forums
http://forums.groundspeak.com/.....try4848352

and in two german forums

September 20, 2011
8:14 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

bkb wrote:

Since some people seem to have the spinning compass issue and some don't (namely Phil), i'm inclined to believe it's a hardware problem. Maybe a bad batch of compass modules. Ive tried deleting the UGDS.bin file twice like Phil suggested and it didnt change anything, my compass still goes into spin mode several times a day. I leave it turned off most of the time now.
Ive decided to wait for the next update and if that doesn't fix it i'll call Maggie and get a new one, hopefully that will solve it.

I would be inclined to disagree with the assessment that this is a hardware issue and here it why. I was running a beta eX610 several months prior to the units going to mass production and I never had an issue with the spinning compass on the pre-release firmware. I then received one of the first post-release eX710s for testing and again I didn’t have any issues with the spinning compass until the last couple of firmware releases. I’ve since exchanged that eX710 for a replacement, because Magellan wanted to take a look at a couple of items on the older unit, and I’m continuing to have the same spinning issue on this new unit, so I very sure that this is due to firmware and not hardware. I have also spoken to the Product Manager at Magellan concerning this issue and Magellan is addressing this as a firmware issue and they’re hoping to have a release out to fix it in the future, but I’ve not been given a date for the firmware release.
David

September 20, 2011
4:32 pm
Lucky-Lizard
Members
Forum Posts: 19

I just hope the new firmware shows up soon!

September 20, 2011
1:45 pm
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22

Since some people seem to have the spinning compass issue and some don't (namely Phil), i'm inclined to believe it's a hardware problem. Maybe a bad batch of compass modules. Ive tried deleting the UGDS.bin file twice like Phil suggested and it didnt change anything, my compass still goes into spin mode several times a day. I leave it turned off most of the time now.
Ive decided to wait for the next update and if that doesn't fix it i'll call Maggie and get a new one, hopefully that will solve it.

September 18, 2011
10:15 pm
soleful2001
Members
Forum Posts: 89

I have noted when I have the spinning compass problem it is when I am navigating a route to a waypoint or cache.

Calibration will sometimes work, but on a couple of occasions, I powered down and that stopped the spinning compass.

I truly hope that the problem can be resolved by firmware.

September 18, 2011
6:05 pm
phild31
Members

I've used Magellan, Garmin and DeLorme GPSr for quite a few years now and I prefer Magellan.
But all three companies sometimes seem to be run by people that figure they will sell enough of their units no matter how badly they support said units.

When it's routine for an update to cause unforeseen problems after it's released is a symptom of not testing properly.
And I've never seen an update that didn't cause problems.
But why hire testers or even properly test their products at all when they can get free feedback from their paying customers?

Most people, including myself, have a tendency to develop a bit of brand loyalty toward their purchases.
The performance, durability and quality of Magellan, Garmin & Delorme is about the same.
If we are honest with ourselves we buy the units that look and feel, for whatever reason, better or more comfortable to us.
After all, I'll get about the same lack of support, mistreatment and disrespect from Magellan, Garmin and DeLorme, so why change?

And before anyone scolds me about how Magellan's support has greatly improved over what it was several years ago, big deal!
Any support at all is better than it was before MiTAC came along.

Ahh, I feel better after a little rant! 😛

September 18, 2011
4:37 pm
Chris
Members

Not just Magellan. The recent update for the Garmin Oregon stopped caches displaying on the UK Ordnance Survey maps! Everyone went back to the previous version. They did sort it after a couple of weeks. I'm new to Magellan so my experience of their products is limited.

Chris

September 18, 2011
4:00 pm
phild31
Members

My un-solicited advice;

If my 710 had come out of the box with the compass spinning and not working when I walked slowly I would send it back to Magellan and demand a replacement or refund for it.

The best thing to forward to Magellan is a recommendation that they test the next update before dumping it on their customers! :angry:
And it might help if the Magellan testers know something about actually using a handheld GPSr out in the real world.

My 710 worked perfectly until an update caused several problems, then another update fixed that but caused the compass to spin, then another update fixed the screwed-up update and my 710 now works perfectly again.
I think I will not install the next updated firmware, so far the updates have just caused problems or fixed the problems caused by the most recent update.

I don't need any more of their "improvements"! :blink:

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply