Software Bugs | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Software Bugs
Explorist 610 Software Bugs
October 4, 2013
6:04 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

BirdMan,

First, I want to stress that the people at Magellan Support do NOT know what they are talking about.

1. - When I set my light to the brightest (5) it stays set at 5. When it is set at 1 it resets to 3 as you describe.

That is the way it's programed, it is not a bug.

It may be a bad way to set it up but that is how it has always been set up.

Personally, to save battery power I leave it set at 5 and have the backlight timer set to 45 seconds.

2. - The way it's supposed to work is it will zoom out just enough to show the entire track you want to preview on the screen, then you can zoom to whatever level you want.

It shouldn't matter where the maps or tracks are stored.

My unit works fine no matter where I have the maps, tracks, waypoints etc stored.

3. -

The spinning compass was an issue with a firmware update many months ago, the latest update should correct it.

If it continues you have a bad unit.

The compass works independently of satellite signal, it's an electronic compass that gets no signal from satellites.

If, on 'Settings' - 'GPS' - you turn the GPS 'Off' the compass will still work.

4. - It's not a bug - that's the way it has always worked.

It may be a bad way to set it up but that is how it is set up.

To repeat, the support people have no idea how these units work.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

October 4, 2013
11:27 am
BirdMan
Members
Forum Posts: 4

Well that formatting did not work well by trying to type responses within the old posting.  Here is a better formatted reply to the previous.  I have received my replacement unit from Magellan Support and they said all the issues below would be resolved with the new unit.  Let's see how they did!

1) Screen brightness can be set from 0-5, with 0 being no light on the screen at all.  If I set the brightness to 1 then re-power the unit it goes back to default brightness of 3. 

…NOT RESOLVED. AS EXPECTED THIS IS HOW MAGELLAN PROGRAMED THE UNIT, YET ACCORDING TO THE SUPPORT LINE WHIT WOULD BE CLASSIFIED AS A FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE BUG.

2) With "Active Track" ON, if I try to "Preview on Map" another track (without pressing GO)  to use as a guide to follow erratic behavior happens with the 610.  Most of the time it will zoom out to 2400 miles.  I can press the + button to zoom all the way into 10ft, but as soon as I let go of the + button it zooms right back out to 2400 miles. Eventually I can get out of this mode by zooming into 10ft and immediately turning off the unit, taking the batteries out for five minutes or so, putting them back in and restarting.  Sometimes I have to repeat this a couple times to get it to stop zooming out.

…STILL TESTING THIS ONE. NEED TO METHODICALLY MOVE PIECES/PARTS (MAP SOFTWRE, SD CARD, WAYPOINTS, TRACKS…) ONE PIECE/PART AT A TIME.

3) Sometimes the compass needle will just spin. No obstructions around, compass is calibrated, batteries are good, and Satellite signals show Excellent.  Repowering the unit seems to get it working again.

…STILL TESTING THIS ONE WITH SAME PROCESS AS #2.

4) Using the left-top button you can save a spot as a Waypoint. The default save mode is it will save the location with the same name as your previous save.  For example if my previous saved location was "Waypt1" then when I press this button it will automatically be saved as "Waypt2".  

…AS WITH #1 THIS IS FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE BUG. I SAY BUG BECAUSE THE SUPPORT LINE SAID THIS SHOULD NOT FUNCTION THIS WAY.

THIS UNIT, IN MY OPINION, IS VERY UNRELIABLE.  I STILL HAVE ANOTHER FEW DAYS TO TEST BEFORE I HAVE TO SEND THE OLD UNIT BACK WITHOUT BEING CHARGED.

October 4, 2013
11:20 am
BirdMan
Members

I have received my replacement unit from Magellan Support and they said all the issues below would be resolved with the new unit.  Let's see how they did!

1) Screen brightness can be set from 0-5, with 0 being no light on the screen at all.  If I set the brightness to 1 then re-power the unit it goes back to default brightness of 3. 

...NOT RESOLVED. AS EXPECTED THIS IS HOW MAGELLAN PROGRAMED THE UNIT, YET ACCORDING TO THE SUPPORT LINE WHIT WOULD BE CLASSIFIED AS A FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE BUG.

2) With "Active Track" ON, if I try to "Preview on Map" another track (without pressing GO)  to use as a guide to follow erratic behavior happens with the 610.  Most of the time it will zoom out to 2400 miles.  I can press the + button to zoom all the way into 10ft, but as soon as I let go of the + button it zooms right back out to 2400 miles. Eventually I can get out of this mode by zooming into 10ft and immediately turning off the unit, taking the batteries out for five minutes or so, putting them back in and restarting.  Sometimes I have to repeat this a couple times to get it to stop zooming out.

...STILL TESTING THIS ONE. NEED TO METHODICALLY MOVE PIECES/PARTS (MAP SOFTWRE, SD CARD, WAYPOINTS, TRACKS...) ONE PIECE/PART AT A TIME.

3) Sometimes the compass needle will just spin. No obstructions around, compass is calibrated, batteries are good, and Satellite signals show Excellent.  Repowering the unit seems to get it working again.

...STILL TESTING THIS ONE WITH SAME PROCESS AS #2.

4) Using the left-top button you can save a spot as a Waypoint. The default save mode is it will save the location with the same name as your previous save.  For example if my previous saved location was "Waypt1" then when I press this button it will automatically be saved as "Waypt2".  

...AS WITH #1 THIS IS FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE BUG. I SAY BUG BECAUSE THE SUPPORT LINE SAID THIS SHOULD NOT FUNCTION THIS WAY.

THIS UNIT IS STILL CONSIDERED IN MY OPINION UNRELIABLE AND I STILL HAVE ANOTHER FEW DAYS TO TEST BEFORE I HAVE TO SEND THE OLD UNIT BACK WITHOUT BEING CHARGED.

September 28, 2013
6:32 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

BirdMan, item #4 has no solution. 

Apparently Magellan decided if you are using the side button to mark a waypoint you are in a hurry to mark it as quickly as possible, the name can be changed later, at your leisure, when you are no longer in a hurry.

So, it will be named the same as the last waypoint you created +1.

While on extended hunts & hikes when I use the side button for creating waypoints I start the day by marking a waypoint named Mon or Tues etc so any waypoints I mark on Monday are at least named Monday.

Over the past 3 or 4 years I have found Magellan Support to be singularly ignorant of how these units work. They seem to have absolutely no experience using a GPS receiver, no knowledge of programing, hardware, firmware updates or bugs in the system since day one that have never been fixed.

All I have ever gotten from Support is a recitation of the user's manual, a standard "Send it back & we'll replace it" spiel or "An update is coming soon that will fix it".

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

September 28, 2013
11:45 am
BirdMan
Members

JG, this unit was purchased from an authorized retailer.  I'm anxious to see how the new unit behaves and will post more information later next week with my findings.

September 27, 2013
7:21 pm
OSS-SAS
Admin
Forum Posts: 1

Birdman,  Welcome to the forum.

I guess my first question is "Did you purchase this unit new from the manufacturer authorized dealer? or from a different source?"

Not a silly question as the unit problems you are discussing indicate a 610 that is not performing correctly.  My guess is that that either the unit was incorrect loaded at the factory with the incorrect basic uboot and the WINCE was not upgraded.

If you purchased this from an outside of the manufacturer supply line then I know what the problem is and this can be fixed.  However; better for Maggie to give you the free replacement.

Please hold all judgment until you receive your refurbished replacement.

Simply put,

Item 1 and 2 or your message is hardware/software related. I do not mean that you have bad hardware just the wrong basic software installed. 

Item 3 should be solved by the latest firmware update. 

Item #4 is standard with all X10's unless you rename the waypoint ahead of time. I am sure that Phil will explain the solution to this as he is much better at it than I am.

JG

JG Technical Support is part of Jungle Ghost Enterprises (JGE) in Wayne, NJ. JG created JGE in 2007 specifically as a Repair and Service Center Worldwide for Magellan Triton and the New Explorist X10 units. For the record, JG received his moniker from the Kachins in Burma.  In Burmese he is "Dua Ma Rung".

September 27, 2013
6:48 pm
BirdMan
Members

I'm a new user to this site, so if this posting belongs in another place please feel free to move it.

I am a very experienced back country hiker and hunter.  I have been using Magellan GPS's for years in the back country. My current GPS is the eXplorist 610 while the last one I used for years was the eXplorist 400.  I have owned several other Magellan GPS's also and have been navigating with a GPS for many years. While the eXplorist 400 had a very solid OS the 610 is currently not trustworthy in the back country.

I have used the 610 for over twenty extended trips since January of 2013.  For the month of September each year I spend most of the month in the woods.  The 610 has several challenges that I have contacted Magellan Support about.  They are sending me another unit.  Having an extensive background in computer engineering for 20yrs I usually can smell firmware problems, but time will tell once I test out the replacement unit.

Here are the issues in no certain order of priority:

1) Screen brightness can be set from 0-5, with 0 being no light on the screen at all.  If I set the brightness to 1 then re-power the unit it goes back to default brightness of 3.  Screen brightness is directly proportional to battery life! The less bright your screen is the longer you can expect your batteries to last. Additionally setting the brightness to 1 is more than enough light for nighttime use.

4) Using the left-top button you can save a spot as a Waypoint. The default save mode is it will save the location with the same name as your previous save.  For example if my previous saved location was "Waypt1" then when I press this button it will automatically be saved as "Waypt2".  Like with past version of Magellan GPS's it should ask me what I want to name it.  This would same me all the steps of going into Waypoints, finding Waypt2, and renaming it.

According to Magellan Support these bugs are not normal and they said the units they have tested don't do this.  I'm not comfortable that they really know this to be true or not and felt like the easiest way to get me off the phone was to send me another unit.  In addition they did not have a unit anywhere in their support building to try doing the same thing as I was attempting to do.

I will keep updating this posting when I get my refurbished-replacement unit.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251