Saving Track as a GPX file | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Saving Track as a GPX file
June 4, 2012
9:45 pm
Yenalom
Members
Forum Posts: 8
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6334sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, once again i did manage to save the track. I did it yesterday and am not sure exactly how I did it.

I tried to follw your instructions but am not sure I did. I believe I hit the lower left hand buttonand then hit Tracks. The Start button switched to Save and I hit it and a GPX file was created. I then imported the file into my PC.

Is that what you meant me to do?

I then deleted the track. Therefore I cannot play with it till I get a chance to generate a new track.

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will be back for more.

Bob M

June 4, 2012
4:09 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6325sp_Permalink sp_Print

Go here to see the post Caotix posted 9 months ago I got this from - track quality
It's on page 4 of that thread, post #4103

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 4, 2012
3:45 am
phild31
Members
6324sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you have many saved tracks on the GPSr you could be running out of available breadcrumbs.
I don't leave more than one or two tracks on my GPS, I copy them to VP and delete them from the GPS until I need them back on it.

The default settings for tracks is a max of 200 tracks.
The default settings for trackpoints is a max of 10,000.
If reaching the limit of saved trackpoints is the problem this can solve it.
In the internal memory of the Explorist you can edit the Atlas.ini with Notepad and changed following Data:

; Default: 65536 (0x10000) - max UGDS BIN file size: 256Mb
BAT_Length = 65536

MaxWaypointsCount = 2000
MaxGeocachesCount = 10000
MaxTracksCount = 200
MaxTrackPointsCount = 10000
MaxRoutesCount = 200
MaxRoutePointsCount = 500

into this;

BAT_Length = 262144

MaxWaypointsCount = 10000
MaxGeocachesCount = 10000
MaxTracksCount = 500
MaxTrackPointsCount = 50000
MaxRoutesCount = 500
MaxRoutePointsCount = 500

As you can see the number of tracks is increased to 500 and the number of trackpoints to 50,000.

I have had my 710 set like this for months now.

June 4, 2012
3:22 am
Boondeck
Members
Forum Posts: 61
6323sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

I never use the start a new track, it's always tracking anyway so at the start of my hike I'll just clear active track to get rid of what I don't want to measure and save active track when I'm back at my truck or I'm where I want a measurement.

I'm usually on a route while driving to the parking spot/trail head so 'Start Track' will stop the route I'm already on. :huh:
Then I would have to start the route again and just aggravate myself in the process. :blink:
When I'm at the end of the track I want to measure I don't mind fiddling with my gizmos. 😛

But the simplest way is to just let it track all day and save the day's active track.
Then I can copy it and edit the copies on Vantage Point to measure and save any segments of the day's track.

Go here - Making Tracks - for an example of making several tracks out of one saved track.

The few times I want the odometer I'll clear just the odometer at the start of a hike.

I have a question about this. I just did a 20 mile hike. I canceled the old track before starting. I saved the active track at the end of the hike, but it only saved the last six miles. I can't figure out what's wrong. Is it possible to have so many saved tracks that you start to run out of bread crumbs? What other reason might there be that I can't get the unit to save the whole hike. I was thinking perhaps the problem was I hadn't clicked on the start new track before I got started but you indicate this is not necessary. I bought lithium batteries for this hike and they were fantastic. They maintained "excellent" the entire hike so I never had to change batteries. Other than the problem with the track which was really disappointing the unit otherwise performed to perfection.

June 4, 2012
2:40 am
phild31
Members
6322sp_Permalink sp_Print

To put the saved tracks on Vantage Point the tracks have to be in the internal memory of the GPSr, VP does not see the SD card.
So if the saved tracks are on the card just drag them to the internal memory of the GPSr.

Then open VP, connect the GPSr to the computer, on VP Sync, click 'Transfer from My GPS to PC' and pick what to transfer and save.

June 4, 2012
12:17 am
phild31
Members
6321sp_Permalink sp_Print

I never use the start a new track, it's always tracking anyway so at the start of my hike I'll just clear active track to get rid of what I don't want to measure and save active track when I'm back at my truck or I'm where I want a measurement.

I'm usually on a route while driving to the parking spot/trail head so 'Start Track' will stop the route I'm already on. :huh:
Then I would have to start the route again and just aggravate myself in the process. :blink:
When I'm at the end of the track I want to measure I don't mind fiddling with my gizmos. 😛

But the simplest way is to just let it track all day and save the day's active track.
Then I can copy it and edit the copies on Vantage Point to measure and save any segments of the day's track.

Go here - Making Tracks - for an example of making several tracks out of one saved track.

The few times I want the odometer I'll clear just the odometer at the start of a hike.

June 3, 2012
10:14 pm
Charles
Members
Forum Posts: 36
6320sp_Permalink sp_Print

I always found it easier to use the main menu. The top left icon can be used to start a new track and to save the active track. Starting a track also clears various fields such as the trip odometer and the timers.

It also seems to cancel the current route which can be confusing and means that you should only start a new route after you have started a new track.

June 3, 2012
8:37 pm
phild31
Members
6319sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just save the track, it will be a GPX file.
Go to 'Tracks' and tap the menu, lower right of screen and tap 'Save Active Track'.
Then tap the name of it to change the name.
The last track saved is what will show as the name if you don't edit it.

June 3, 2012
6:23 pm
Yenalom
Members
Forum Posts: 8

Well, everything worked for me last weekend. I took my 510 out on both Sunday and Monday. I managed to create GPX files from the tracks. I'll be damned if I remember how I did it.

Yesterday, I deleted the 2 GPX files from the GPS. I took the unit out again and now have a new track on the unit. But I cannot remember how to save it as a GPX file!! I have looked at the manual, tried using every thing that looked reasonable on the GPS, opened VANTAGE POINt. All to no avail.

I would appreciate anyone who can tell me how to save my current track as a GPX file.

Thanks ahead of time.

Bob M

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 12
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply