Potential Buyer with some Questions | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Potential Buyer with some Questions
March 29, 2011
8:08 pm
sup909
Members
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2005sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I am going to start off with a 310 to dip my toe in the water and then pass that down to my wife later once I get a better handle on what advanced features i feel I need.

March 27, 2011
9:48 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1982sp_Permalink sp_Print

sup909 wrote:

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I am not keen on running Windows virtually simply because I would rather invest that money spent on Windows or the virtualization elsewhere. I am a Mac user through and through, but I have the technical know how to load maps and GPX onto the device if it mounts as a device.

If I can load third party maps on to the device without issues on my Mac then my needs would be satisfied.

No won't have a problem - you can just drag on drop them on the SD itself or by dragging and dropping in the correct directory on either the interal memory or the SD while the unit is connected as a USB device...

Either way, you're going to love your eX!

David

March 27, 2011
9:46 pm
sup909
Members
1981sp_Permalink sp_Print

Everyone,

Thanks for the replies. I am not keen on running Windows virtually simply because I would rather invest that money spent on Windows or the virtualization elsewhere. I am a Mac user through and through, but I have the technical know how to load maps and GPX onto the device if it mounts as a device.

If I can load third party maps on to the device without issues on my Mac then my needs would be satisfied.

March 26, 2011
2:45 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1933sp_Permalink sp_Print

S!G wrote:

Exactly what David says. Why is he always 2 or three hours before me? :unsure:

Same here with the addition that a friend of mine is a beta tester for DeLorme and was a tester for Garmin, I have seen and played with all the new units in the past two years.

I would not trade my 710 for any of them!

Except for the pictures you do not need VP or GSAK to get the most out of the x10 units.

Can't you run virtual windows on a Mac?
I assume VP and GSAK can run on virtual windows?

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 26, 2011
1:30 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
1931sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have an eX 610 Canada edition (Canadian topo). I've had several older explorists, and a Triton 500. This unit is like comparing a Rolls Royce to a Volkswagen Rabbit.

The Touchscreen works very well, is fast to load screens, is easy to navigate from screen to screen, and is very clear and bright. Garmin doesn't make a single touchscreen unit that compares to the Explorist for clarity.

The Geocache page is awesome. You can search through the geocaches using several options - not found, not yet attempted, alphabetically, nearest, etc. The found caches appear on the map as smilies, not found as frowns (on the 610 at least). The images on the cache description are a plus, the hints and last 5 logs are handy as well.

I had bought an eXplorist GC for my wife, and it works nicely as well. The main difference between the GC and the 310 is the 310's abiity to upload maps, and the Tracks and Routing features are there in the 310, not on the GC. GC = Geocaching, but little else. The 310 is the better of the two if you want a unit tha has the more utility features of a standard gps.

The GC basemap is plenty useful, and shows all of the streets in our Northern Ontario town. The shaded relief feature I didn't notice on the GC, but I do like it on the 610.

If you have any other questions, you've come to the right place !

Here's a free download map from MagicMaps, and here's what a google earth-based map looks like.....

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 26, 2011
10:58 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
1927sp_Permalink sp_Print

Exactly what David says. Why is he always 2 or three hours before me? :unsure:

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

March 26, 2011
7:48 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1926sp_Permalink sp_Print

sup909 wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you all could provide me with some answers to some questions regarding the explorist line. I am in the market for a new GPS device and I have no prior experience with the explorist line. I seem to be having some trouble though finding some good details online about certain aspects of the devices. Any answers you might be able to provide would be extremely useful.

Let me start off by explaining my intended usage. I would say probably 70-80% of the the GPS' use would be for geocaching with the remaining being used for tracking hiking information. I am not a hardcore outdoorsman, but I do enjoy vacations to national parks, etc to hike.

Anyways, here are some of the questions I have about the explorist series.

1. I am a Mac user and I understand that VP doesn't work on the Mac. I have contacted Magellan and it appears that VP will not be coming anytime soon. I do know that the explorists can mount on a Mac and sideload data. So the question is, is there anything critical to VP that I would be missing? It appears I can load GPX and geocaching files. Can I load additional maps without VP?

Yes you can drag and drop the GPX files onto the unit with your Mac, however, you will not be able to download the pictures that are included within the descriptions on the caches. This is a function that VP or GSAK does when loading the GPX files to the unit.

As far as maps, you can drag and drop them onto a Micro SD Card and they will function perfectly.

2. I have read some really good things about the World Base map in this new series. From some screen shots that I have seen online it appears that this basemap has shaded relief in it. Can anyone confirm that? If it does is it detailed enough to not need a topo

I do have the high end Accuterra maps for my Tritons as well as the older TOPO 3D maps and I don't miss them a bit. The TOPO maps on the eX-series are high quality 24K maps which you'd have to pay extra for with the Garmin. My caching buddy traded one of his Garmin 60Csx's in for the 62sT and was very upset that he had to pay for the 24k TOPOs when I didn't have to with the eX and when he did receive his the ones on the Magellan are easier to read

3. Is the basemap consistent across all of the devices? (GC-710) If it is I would consider a GC just for my wife for our geocaching adventures and then a higher level one for myself for those few times a year I am hiking.

Ok, all of the units have the "World Edition" base map loaded on them, however, this isn't the TOPOs. The eX610 & eX710 have the Summit Series USA Topographic Mapping which are the high end TOPO maps that you'll be walking for your hiking. Also, the eX710 has the City Series USA Turn-by-Turn Navigation for road navigation.

4. Having used Garmins in the past I have some concern about the 3rd party map support in the explorists. I have read that the map format has changed due to the chipsets or something and I am reading some conflicting information about which models properly support .rmp and/or .imi files. How easy is it to load or create my own maps to the device, especially if I do not have access to VP.

The older maps/software like Nato Geo TOPO Explorer and TOPO 3D will not work with the eX units, because the Serial Number format on the units is different. However, the RMP maps made with Mobile Atlas Creator do work and work well and one of the members here on the board as just released a unity that will allow RMP maps made with Triton RMP to work correctly as well, which is awesome (Thank You Sockeye!) Also, in the near future Magellan is going to be releasing some new options for custom maps, which I'm not free to talk about at this time - but they are coming.

Sorry for all the questions. I hope you guys can help.

I have not used every GPS on the market, however, I am used a few including the Garmin 60Csx and 62St (which is a non-touch screen Oregon) and I wouldn't trade my eX-710 for any other unit on the market! I'm sold on this unit. As to date I still have 3 of my Tritons - a Triton 1500 and two Triton 400s as well as a GC, eX310 and eX710 - and I did some testing on the eX610 and all of these units are great GPSrs. If you want a small an simple GPS that will do the hiking thing as well as super paperless caching for your wife - at a look at the eX310

Hope this helps,
David

March 26, 2011
7:19 am
sup909
Members

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you all could provide me with some answers to some questions regarding the explorist line. I am in the market for a new GPS device and I have no prior experience with the explorist line. I seem to be having some trouble though finding some good details online about certain aspects of the devices. Any answers you might be able to provide would be extremely useful.

Let me start off by explaining my intended usage. I would say probably 70-80% of the the GPS' use would be for geocaching with the remaining being used for tracking hiking information. I am not a hardcore outdoorsman, but I do enjoy vacations to national parks, etc to hike.

Anyways, here are some of the questions I have about the explorist series.

1. I am a Mac user and I understand that VP doesn't work on the Mac. I have contacted Magellan and it appears that VP will not be coming anytime soon. I do know that the explorists can mount on a Mac and sideload data. So the question is, is there anything critical to VP that I would be missing? It appears I can load GPX and geocaching files. Can I load additional maps without VP?

2. I have read some really good things about the World Base map in this new series. From some screen shots that I have seen online it appears that this basemap has shaded relief in it. Can anyone confirm that? If it does is it detailed enough to not need a topo

3. Is the basemap consistent across all of the devices? (GC-710) If it is I would consider a GC just for my wife for our geocaching adventures and then a higher level one for myself for those few times a year I am hiking.

4. Having used Garmins in the past I have some concern about the 3rd party map support in the explorists. I have read that the map format has changed due to the chipsets or something and I am reading some conflicting information about which models properly support .rmp and/or .imi files. How easy is it to load or create my own maps to the device, especially if I do not have access to VP.

Sorry for all the questions. I hope you guys can help.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply