Position arrow size | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Position arrow size
June 19, 2012
10:42 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6487sp_Permalink sp_Print

The arrow size has been an issue since day one, who knows if it will be addressed?

Try a 'Go To' of your last survey point, when you are at the proper distance mark the spot?

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 19, 2012
10:02 pm
zpyder
Members
Forum Posts: 24
6486sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm now finding myself really wishing the arrow was smaller. I'm currently using my GPS to do a vegetation survey and am marking each of my survey points, which helps with making sure I'm spacing them appropriately. Problem is the arrow is so big half the time it's hard to see just how far apart the points are unless I zoom in on the map to a point where the scale is too small for the distance I'm spacing the points!

August 14, 2011
5:18 am
k-rok
Members
Forum Posts: 49
3999sp_Permalink sp_Print

i fixed a lot of problems with the arrow size by making my maps more detailed but smaller (trial and error with map making), i can now zoom in a lot further and it works out great.

i still say the arrow is too big and should be adjustable for different maps.

August 12, 2011
11:46 pm
Charles
Members
Forum Posts: 36
3987sp_Permalink sp_Print

My problem with the arrow is that it is sometimes very hard to see, regardless of size. Being slightly color blind, the green arrow is almost impossible for me to see in bright sunlight. Making the arrow smaller would only exacerbate the problem.

My preference would be for a smaller arrow, but one which exhibits more contrast with its background.

An ideal solution might be to provide a method of editing the skin files so that colors, arrows and other map symbols could be modified by the user so that everything could be set to personal taste. An alternative might be to publish the format of the skin files so that some enterprising individual might develop an editor to adjust the appearance to the user's preference.

August 12, 2011
5:58 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
3986sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I'm not in any type of position to be able to make promises. However, I did receive a reply from Magellan concerning the Arrow Size option and was told that this is being looked at...

David

August 1, 2011
5:41 pm
David
Members
3847sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok guys, you've twisted my arm - not that it ever takes any twisting, but I'll remind Magellan that the arrow either needs to be smaller or that we need an option to be able to select the arrow size.

David

edit - Ok, the request has been sent...

August 1, 2011
2:20 pm
capjap
Members
Forum Posts: 33
3843sp_Permalink sp_Print

k-rok wrote:

i agree with the arrow size being a little big. they still haven't released any summit series detailed maps for canada, so i had to make google earth maps for my 310 but i can't zoom in to 10'. this means that when i'm in the thick brush i have no idea what's around me for 500 yards. with the detailed maps at close range i can see if it's open area or not ahead of me.
i believe my old 400 had an arrow about 1/2 that size and it seemed about right.
i did try to change the arrow to standard but the size remained the same.

That's weird because I have Summit Series Canada on my 610. I went to the Magellan site, and you are right...it's not available for purchase. I don't get it.

I too would like to see a smaller arrow. New update, and I haven't heard any positive or negative reviews. Not sure I want to update when I have a big trip planned in a few days.

July 30, 2011
8:47 pm
k-rok
Members
Forum Posts: 49
3840sp_Permalink sp_Print

i agree with the arrow size being a little big. they still haven't released any summit series detailed maps for canada, so i had to make google earth maps for my 310 but i can't zoom in to 10'. this means that when i'm in the thick brush i have no idea what's around me for 500 yards. with the detailed maps at close range i can see if it's open area or not ahead of me.
i believe my old 400 had an arrow about 1/2 that size and it seemed about right.
i did try to change the arrow to standard but the size remained the same.

July 30, 2011
6:06 pm
David
Members
3839sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bkb,

While it is true that the position arrow on the Triton was considerably smaller the Triton only zoomed in to a range of 100’; however, the eX-Series of units zoom into 10’ which gives you a much greater accuracy and higher resolution which should more than out way the size of the pointer… However, the request to be able to change or adjust the size of the arrow has been given to Eric at Magellan and it is on their list.

David

July 30, 2011
2:34 pm
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22
3838sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess i'm just used to seeing the tiny little position arrow that I had on my Triton. It wasnt so large that it covered a whole waypoint on the screen. It seemed like the smaller arrow on the Triton was more precise, even though I'm sure it was only psychological,it didnt cover so much area on my sattelite maps when hunting and hiking.
Also, the position arrow is in the same location on the screen all the time, the map moves, so it could be the size of a period (dont want it that small) and you still would know where it is on the screen.

July 30, 2011
6:37 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
3837sp_Permalink sp_Print

I still don't understand the problem with the size of the position arrow.
It doesn't cover anything you need to see unless you are zoomed way out, so zoom in until you can see the details of the map.

If Magellan does change the size I hope they make it a choice of sizes because I for one do not want it any smaller than it is now.
I want the arrow big enough to see at a glance, not small enough for my old eyes to not see it easily.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 30, 2011
12:58 am
bkb
Members
Forum Posts: 22

Well since Maggie doesnt want to do it, I was thinking maybe someone could figure out how to change the position arrow size in the software to make it smaller. We were able to change some user settings in the software on the Tritons, dont know if its possible on the Explorist. There must be some software expert out there somewhere that can figure it out.
The arrow size and the constant compass recalibration are my two biggest gripes with the 710.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply