New Firmware available for eX510, 610 and 710. | Page 3 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
New Firmware available for eX510, 610 and 710.
April 19, 2011
9:29 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2460sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

Good luck with that. I've been wanting that option since my eX 400, which had the li-ion battery pack. I'd never design or build any electronic device around a disposable battery.

If more votes count though, vote me in for wanting a ni-mh charge option in the unit too.

I would never build an electronic device that can only use rechargeable batteries.
I want a choice, rechargeable or disposable batteries in my devices!
I've had enough devices that used a proprietary battery.

I'll buy a charging unit for my batteries because I use them in several devices.

If more votes count I'll vote now and often to NOT, I repeat, NOT have a charging capability in these units.
I would rather have my cheap charger fail than my not so cheap 710 fry the batteries and disable the unit!

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 19, 2011
7:52 pm
phild31
Members
2459sp_Permalink sp_Print

pure_mahem wrote:

Any chance that they might make an option to recharge your rechargeables in the unit with the usb cord? Even if you had to go in and select it in the battery options or something? I can see even making it a completely seperate option so you don't end up trying to recharge alkalines and blowing them up in the unit destroying it. But it would be nice if you didn't have to take the batteries in and out every time just to charge them. :unsure:

It takes a while to charge batteries, if you are plugged in to something long enough to charge them just take the batteries out to charge them.
It's not that big a chore.

Why put in an option that's not really useful and that when/if it fails would most likely disable the unit by melting the battery connections?

April 19, 2011
7:03 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2458sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Has anyone tried the "Find next closest Geocache?" function?

When I tried it, it goes to a screen titled "Nearby Search Result" with a disk going round and round, but nothing happens. Had it going for 5 or 6 minutes with no result.

Can you please try 2 things for me.

[ul][li]First, can you please delete every GPX on the unit and reload them.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Second, please go into the media directory and delete all of the images under the Geocache directory there. Over time the unit seems to collect more and more and they're not always deleted when the caches are.[/li][/ul]

If that doesn't fix the issue, please send me a copy of your GPX files.

Thanks,
David

April 19, 2011
6:58 pm
David
Members
2457sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

dwcarr1 wrote:

If you assign the Geocache option to one of your hard buttons then you can pull up the Geocache information at the click of a button, even when in the compass screen..

[color=#0040FF]OK - I had a hard choice to make and I sacrificed the button that I had assigned for Voice Memo. I use that all the time. The other button is for marking a WPT and I don't want to lose that.
The function works perfectly and very fast as well - also from the Compass Screen - thanks for the advice.
[/color]

4. The "position" arrow hasn't changed at all. No options to alter size.This suggestion wasn't put in until after this firmware as in the works. We've been testing this firmware since February, so hopefully in the next release...
I reported that issue to our Magellan distributor in November! He said that he had then passed it onto the development people in the USA.

When I included the February date I had a feeling that was going to bring up and issue. Please understand that when we receive a test version (Beta) of the firmware, it was already been locked down as to what is going to be included in it and they (Magellan) had already received an earlier test version back in November. I didn't realize this, but the firmware for these units is written by several groups that is scattered around the world! :blink: So, if something was reported in November, they've got it and from what I've been told - they are working these issue, however, it isn't like Clyde at GSAK who writes everything himself. I wish they could just have one guy sit down and write it in and put it out, however, when working with teams of programmers it doesn't work that way. As an exprogrammer myself I understand the pluses, and there are many, to doing it this way; but I also understand the down falls - it simply takes longer to develop and longer to get the bugs out! So please understand, it is being worked on and Magellan is listening. I can promise you that!

David

April 19, 2011
1:04 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
2456sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

When I tried it, it goes to a screen titled "Nearby Search Result" with a disk going round and round, but nothing happens. Had it going for 5 or 6 minutes with no result.

Just gave it a whirl on mine. Split second return of results on 875 caches. Granted, I had just wiped all caches, waypoints, and geocache images from the device last night and loaded a fresh copy of a PQ for my town.

If you ever 'delete all' caches on the x10, keep in mind that it does not delete associated waypoints and images...including on this firmware release as well. The geocache images seem to require manual deletion. Not managing these files can result in very slow performance in some operations.

April 19, 2011
12:46 pm
warfieldm
Members
2455sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

warfieldm wrote:

I was most hoping for a keyboard change though. Until then, just a couple of reminder words and type up the notes later.

You're not the only one wanting the keyboard change. When I spoke to Eric, the Product Manager of the Outdoor line of Magellan GPSrs, he's also pushing for that - so I believe we see that in the next update... But of course I'm not in the position to promise anything.

David

Yeah, I realize that allowing scope creep to run rampant is a great way to never get to a release. The more features added at one time, the longer it takes to develop, debug, and validate. The fact that they're not trying to throw every single 'wish feature' into the mix is a good thing as that means they're actually managing the scope. Taking input from a public forum can be a slippery slope to walk as not everything will be possible or have other undesirable effects when implemented. And while my most hoped for feature was the keyboard, it's not as though I'm upset about it as I have little information on their full scope of fixes, optimizations, and features that are included in this release. That would be a nice thing to see released - the scope for the update.

Looking through the update itself, a few interesting things popped up (not sure what functionality each adds)...

AtlasWinCE.exe has grown in size significantly (280kB) - more features/error checking I presume.
at2gpx.exe - appears to be a new file in this release.
Fonts - Folder was added.
QtXml4.dll - no longer included (perhaps integrated into AtlasWinCE.exe ?)
Looks as though they've added some Spanish documents for Spain.
MgnQtImages.dll has shrunk significantly indicating optimization or feature removal
Keyboards were added - GR and RU versions
Languages(lang folder) - Obviously a significant focus on release version - 17 languages added to bump it up to 23.
PhotoPad.exe and Photos.exe have both been reduced in size - optimized?
Added MgnShell.ini
Added folder references for speedtraps and customPOIs
Added ActiveTrackTemporaryFile reference
AtlasLayoutWinCE.dll shrunk a tad.

This certainly isn't an exhaustive list of changes in the file structure but indicates there are most likely changes we won't notice outright.

April 19, 2011
12:30 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2453sp_Permalink sp_Print

pure_mahem wrote:

Any chance that they might make an option to recharge your rechargeables in the unit with the usb cord? Even if you had to go in and select it in the battery options or something? I can see even making it a completely seperate option so you don't end up trying to recharge alkalines and blowing them up in the unit destroying it. But it would be nice if you didn't have to take the batteries in and out every time just to charge them. :unsure:

Good luck with that. I've been wanting that option since my eX 400, which had the li-ion battery pack. I'd never design or build any electronic device around a disposable battery.

If more votes count though, vote me in for wanting a ni-mh charge option in the unit too.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 19, 2011
8:39 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
2452sp_Permalink sp_Print

April 19, 2011
8:36 am
pprass
Members
2451sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

If you assign the Geocache option to one of your hard buttons then you can pull up the Geocache information at the click of a button, even when in the compass screen..

[color=#0040FF]OK - I had a hard choice to make and I sacrificed the button that I had assigned for Voice Memo. I use that all the time. The other button is for marking a WPT and I don't want to lose that.
The function works perfectly and very fast as well - also from the Compass Screen - thanks for the advice.
[/color]

4. The "position" arrow hasn't changed at all. No options to alter size.This suggestion wasn't put in until after this firmware as in the works. We've been testing this firmware since February, so hopefully in the next release...
I reported that issue to our Magellan distributor in November! He said that he had then passed it onto the development people in the USA.

April 19, 2011
6:39 am
David
Members
2450sp_Permalink sp_Print

Indy wrote:

With this version of the firmware I've got the database indexing message at startup too.

It has to be this way?

I know that is takes a few seconds, but this is actually a good thing - plus, these units have been doing this since their release. The reason taht it is doing this is to verify that the database is not corrupt before loading. If something strange or manger has happened to the database the unit will also do this during standard operation - now that drives me crazy even though I understand why. However, I'm glad that it does it on boot up, because if it does find something corrupt it can repair the database before it tries to access it and run into an error. If the Triton had done this, then all of the HTML crashes could have been avoided...

David

April 19, 2011
6:35 am
David
Members
2449sp_Permalink sp_Print

warfieldm wrote:

I was most hoping for a keyboard change though. Until then, just a couple of reminder words and type up the notes later.

You're not the only one wanting the keyboard change. When I spoke to Eric, the Product Manager of the Outdoor line of Magellan GPSrs, he's also pushing for that - so I believe we see that in the next update... But of course I'm not in the position to promise anything.

David

April 19, 2011
6:23 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2448sp_Permalink sp_Print

With this version of the firmware I've got the database indexing message at startup too.

It has to be this way?

April 19, 2011
6:12 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2447sp_Permalink sp_Print

No, don't ask for recharging batteries. I can almost hear the first one, who is exploding his device by accidently recharging lithiums.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 19, 2011
5:33 am
warfieldm
Members
2446sp_Permalink sp_Print

pure_mahem wrote:

Any chance that they might make an option to recharge your rechargeables in the unit with the usb cord?

I don't think there's a recharge circuit in the unit. Could be wrong on that but haven't seen anything that would indicate that it does.

April 19, 2011
5:30 am
warfieldm
Members
2445sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll second the compliments on the functionality of assigning geocache to a hard button. I'll make good use of this feature.

Looks like they have tweaked the power meter for rechargables as well. With 3.22 using fresh eneloops, it would drop down to half charge after about five minutes. After about 15 minutes with 4.82 on day old eneloops, it dropped down to 3/4. Interestingly, when applying the update, it stated it couldn't proceed due to low batteries. Quickly plugging in the USB cable took care of that though.

All in all, it initially seems like a stable update which is by far the most important thing. Look forward to putting it through its paces in the field though.

April 19, 2011
4:52 am
pure_mahem
Members
Forum Posts: 6
2443sp_Permalink sp_Print

April 19, 2011
2:36 am
phild31
Members
2438sp_Permalink sp_Print

By the way, when you are connected to the PC it's better if you put in fresh alkaline or lithium batteries, most rechargeable batteries are at a lower voltage. 1.3 to 1.4 volts instead of 1.5 volts.

My fully charged eneloops are at 1.398 volts.
The unit told me to change batteries and the eneloops I took out were at 1.278 volts.

My new lithiums are at 1.789 volts.
My new alkalines are at 1.624 volts

That's why you have to set the unit for the batteries you are using.

April 19, 2011
1:35 am
phild31
Members
2437sp_Permalink sp_Print

The "wait for the update hype" was from us not from Magellan.
They told us that the position arrow and a couple of other things may not be addressed on this, but a later update.

My 710 has always said 'Indexing Database' every time I started it.

Did you set the power settings on 'rechargable'?

Assign one of the buttons to 'Geocache Details'.
Then when you are on a route to a cache press the button and it brings up the cache page. Press the button again and it returns to the map or whatever page you were on.
If you are not on a route press the button and it brings up the nearest geocache list. Press again to return to previous screen.
It's a very nice upgrade.

My only disappointment with this update is the UP/DOWN arrows for the option menus.

The map colors are a little bit better for seeing the contour lines on the pre-installed topo maps that came on it.

April 19, 2011
1:35 am
David
Members
2436sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Gosh - for all of the "wait until the new update" hype it is very disappointing to say the least.

Loaded 4.82 onto the 610. Got a bit of a scare as the GPS didn't re-start itself after completing the procedure. Just shut down after flicking on the Magellan screen. So I manually started it and it then took about 3 minutes to boot up after going through "Indexing Database" procedure, which btw it now does this "indexing" procedure every time I start the GPS!

It also said that I had to replace the batteries as they were low. Now how could this be when I had just put in freshly recharged eneloops?

This is what I have found after playing with the "new" software upgrade for a few minutes:

1. My settings on the compass screen and map screen had altered. Minor issue.
2. From the compass screen with a geocache selected in the go-to, you cannot look at the details of the cache by clicking on the options box on the RH bottom corner. You still have to go to the Map screen to do that. Thought that this was being looked at for this update?

April 19, 2011
1:10 am
pprass
Members
2435sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gosh - for all of the "wait until the new update" hype it is very disappointing to say the least.

Loaded 4.82 onto the 610. Got a bit of a scare as the GPS didn't re-start itself after completing the procedure. Just shut down after flicking on the Magellan screen. So I manually started it and it then took about 3 minutes to boot up after going through "Indexing Database" procedure, which btw it now does this "indexing" procedure every time I start the GPS!

It also said that I had to replace the batteries as they were low. Now how could this be when I had just put in freshly recharged eneloops?

This is what I have found after playing with the "new" software upgrade for a few minutes:

1. My settings on the compass screen and map screen had altered. Minor issue.
2. From the compass screen with a geocache selected in the go-to, you cannot look at the details of the cache by clicking on the options box on the RH bottom corner. You still have to go to the Map screen to do that. Thought that this was being looked at for this update?
3. Not all scrolling screens have the up/down arrows as previously mentioned. Especially the most important one - the Options screen when you have a POI that you want to cancel the route rather than accidentally finding the cache!
4. The "position" arrow hasn't changed at all. No options to alter size.
5. Map colours and contours on my maps (Aus) are still the same? In any case - I can't see any difference. Maybe someone can show me a screen shot of their improvements.
6. What Geocaching Details button? In the user assigned screen there is a Geocaching button, but that is exactly the same as the main menu Geocaching button isn't it. What am I missing?

One improvement that I have noticed though is the creating of a WPT. Yes it is just a one button opertaion to create the WPT, but then of coarse you have to go back into it to enter the co-ords that you want for say a multi cache. However there now is a "map view" button so you can view it before saving it and going to it. Nice!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply