New Firmware available for eX510, 610 and 710. | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
New Firmware available for eX510, 610 and 710.
April 20, 2011
3:40 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2485sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a tendency to vote with my feet.
If the 710 had a recharging option built in I would never buy it. 🙁

It's a capability that doesn't do anything to make it a better GPSr, just add costs and something to fail in the future.

My Motorola two way radios came with rechargeable batteries and a charging stand.
Or you could use AA batteries. Nice option, right?
I was charging them when something malfunctioned and one of the radios overheated in the charging stand and partially melted in the charger. :angry:
Luckily I was in the house and smelled the burning plastic so didn't lose my home. :ohmy:
That was a lesson that only cost me $90. 🙁 Never recharge in the radios!
In fact most of my portable devices use AAs, radios, lights, flashlights, a $900 digital SLR camera, point & shoot cameras, trail cameras, telescope and a weather station.
I even have a AA powered emergency power supply for my iPhone. :cheer:
I don't use "dollar store" batteries in a $550 GPSr, I use the best lithiums I can find or eneloop rechargeables.

I prefer to wish for something useful like more memory, a better processor and a waypoint limit of at least 5,000. 🙂

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 20, 2011
12:44 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
2484sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last year when first looking at a GPSr for geocaching, I considered the units with replaceable AA batteries as being inferior. However, after attempting a few all day excursions using a Blackberry, it became very clear to me the advantage of being able to swap batteries. With my 610, I'll often have four to eight batteries to charge after an outing.

Adding a recharge circuit to the unit really wouldn't provide me any benefit. Leaving it out eliminates a point of failure with the unit.

One possible reason they didn't include recharging is due to it being a sealed unit. This would not allow heat from the recharging process to be dissipated efficiently. And heat is extremely hard on electronics. When working with MTBF(Mean Time Between Failure) data, I've learned that a typical ten degree C increase in operating temperature will cut its MTBF rating in half. While it's purely a swag, I would suspect implementing and using a recharging circuit could reduce the life of the device between 10 and 50 percent depending on how aggressively it recharged the batteries.

If Magellan looked at adding a recharge circuit and left it out for the above reason, kudos to them for consciousness on quality of their product. After all, cell phones manufacturers can ignore it as most users upgrade their phones every couple of years if not sooner. I doubt we'd be satisfied if our x10s were designed with a similar perspective.

April 20, 2011
8:54 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2483sp_Permalink sp_Print

It would be technically possible to implement a charging controller which could recognize the type of batteries automatically.

Alkalines or any other type of non rechargeable batteries will not be charged by modern charge controllers if the firmware handles this. So no risk of damage.

Such an option is a question of price, space (in the device) and especially of guarantee.

But theoretical thoughts only. There is no such option in the actual devices.

Perhaps in future products? 😉

April 20, 2011
8:32 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2482sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be honest, I guess, there would be a need to integrate another hardware. At least some resistores, some wires and such stuff. I know a project of a Triton user, who has made it to his device, it finally worked. But it has had no loading control and would blew up the unit after some hours with alkalines.

So, if your'e asking for loading capabilities, your'e probably asking for hardware modification.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 20, 2011
8:03 am
pure_mahem
Members
Forum Posts: 6
2481sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

denisetdoris wrote:

Good luck with that. I've been wanting that option since my eX 400, which had the li-ion battery pack. I'd never design or build any electronic device around a disposable battery.

If more votes count though, vote me in for wanting a ni-mh charge option in the unit too.

I would never build an electronic device that can only use rechargeable batteries.
I want a choice, rechargeable or disposable batteries in my devices!
I've had enough devices that used a proprietary battery.

I'll buy a charging unit for my batteries because I use them in several devices.

If more votes count I'll vote now and often to NOT, I repeat, NOT have a charging capability in these units.
I would rather have my cheap charger fail than my not so cheap 710 fry the batteries and disable the unit!

I was purely suggesting to be given the option. After all if you can recharge a six hundred dollar iphone you should be able to recharge a magellan explorist x10. You could substitute six hundred dollar iphone with ten dollar tracphone for the same arguement. But like I said I was asking for a user selectable option so those that do can. Those that don't, don't have too.

I don't want to fry my unit either but I figure the only risk would be if you did not have rechargeable batteries installed and blew up some alkalines causing corrosion damage. After all you can run the device by plugging it into your computers usb port and I don't know about your computer but mine is plugged into 110 household current and I think your taking a greater risk of frying your unit by plugging it into the computer to update it than you would be for plugging it into the same device to charge the rechargeable batteries in the unit.

The option I would assume could also be put under a different selection so you couldn't accidently select it when your select the batteries you using. That is assuming the unit is physically capable of actually recharging the batteries if it is a program issue. I really don't know the answer if it's possible or not just would like the option if it is.

Risk Of using the wrong batteries could be reduced by magellan by including rechargeable batteries with the unit. I know for the price of the top dollar lithiums they include with the unit I can by four cheap rechargeables and a charger to go with them or four high quality rechargeable batteries. That is also assuming that they don't have some sort of contract with energizer to boost battery sales with them.

Another Facet of this is that if you could recharge the unit it would be greener. Promoting the use of rechargeables would redcuce the amount of dollar store batteries in the land fill and possibley left behind on the trails and around caches. Just thinking out loud here but if you used strictly dollar store alkalines and not rechargeables and you went geocaching everyday that is about three hundered dollars in batteries and six hundred AAs. Thats a lot of batteries. I think Magellan could sell the issue by promoting the recharge issue in there advertising as many companies are trying to strive for enviromental friendliness these days. Just saying...

I not nocking your vote just clarifying that I wasn't asking for an all or nothing just a choice. Thanks.

April 20, 2011
7:07 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2480sp_Permalink sp_Print

S!G wrote:

dwcarr1 wrote:

Sockeye,

I don't have access to my 710 right now, but I do have a question. Are these the factory loaded maps or are they maps that have been added by the user?

Thanks,
David

This are the factory maps.

I've reported this to Magellan and they're looking into it...

April 20, 2011
6:16 am
S!G
Members
2478sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's not actually a problem, but looks somehow "strange". It's only a very thin line on the map.

April 20, 2011
6:13 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2476sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sockeye wrote:

It is the factory pre-installed Europe.imi for the ex710, which suddenly shows the sub-maps.

BR
Sockeye

I see no problem like that with the pre-installed USA map on my 710.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 20, 2011
6:09 am
S!G
Members
2475sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

I deleted everything and then reloaded just a few hundred caches and then tried to do the Nearby Search, but same result - just goes round and round.

So I again deleted everything and reloaded the Upgrade which creates the Top 1000 Caches file. I then tried to do a Nearby Search, but same result - just goes in an endless search?

Next I deleted the Top 1000 Caches file and loaded a 229 cache file from GSAK. And I get this?

This, I had several times with a beta version. Simply delete the file "USRUGDS.BIN" This is the database file and recreates itself when the unit starts again.

You do not have to delete your geocaches on the unit.

April 20, 2011
6:06 am
S!G
Members
2474sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Sockeye,

I don't have access to my 710 right now, but I do have a question. Are these the factory loaded maps or are they maps that have been added by the user?

Thanks,
David

This are the factory maps.

April 20, 2011
1:02 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
2471sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

I just got off of the phone with Eric at Magellan and he's already personally read your post here on the forum and he's contacting his software people right now. So, he's told me to give up 24 hours to find something out and he'll get back with me. However, he needs to know which device you're using 510, 610 or 710 and which version of the firmware. Are you running the US version or a different one?

David

Excellent service - thanks. I am preparing for a huge 5 month trip around most of Western Australia starting next week and I got a bit of a scare that I couldn't load caches via GSAK for a moment. I now know what to do to get around the problem, however - the "Find Next Closest Geocache" function still doesn't work.

Here are the details of my eXplorist 610 with the 4.82 Software Upgrade:

April 20, 2011
12:42 am
David
Members
2470sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

OK - thanks David.

The only way that I can delete those caches with the errors (as per the screen shot) is via the GPSr itself. If I go into the Geocache folder via the PC and delete everything that is there, that list of caches in error is not removed!

I have now been able to load a file of caches into the GPSr using the "Send Geocaches to GPSr" function on GSAK, by first deleting the file from the GPSr via the GPSr's delete function.
However if I try to reload that very same file without first deleting it, I get that list of errors again. Looks like the "Clear from GPSr before send" function on GSAK does not work, but then again, it should not really matter if I ma simply updating the same caches?

I just got off of the phone with Eric at Magellan and he's already personally read your post here on the forum and he's contacting his software people right now. So, he's told me to give up 24 hours to find something out and he'll get back with me. However, he needs to know which device you're using 510, 610 or 710 and which version of the firmware. Are you running the US version or a different one?

David

April 20, 2011
12:33 am
pprass
Members
2469sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK - thanks David.

The only way that I can delete those caches with the errors (as per the screen shot) is via the GPSr itself. If I go into the Geocache folder via the PC and delete everything that is there, that list of caches in error is not removed!

I have now been able to load a file of caches into the GPSr using the "Send Geocaches to GPSr" function on GSAK, by first deleting the file from the GPSr via the GPSr's delete function.
However if I try to reload that very same file without first deleting it, I get that list of errors again. Looks like the "Clear from GPSr before send" function on GSAK does not work, but then again, it should not really matter if I ma simply updating the same caches?

April 20, 2011
12:01 am
David
Members
2468sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

dwcarr1 wrote:

pprass wrote:

Has anyone tried the "Find next closest Geocache?" function?

When I tried it, it goes to a screen titled "Nearby Search Result" with a disk going round and round, but nothing happens. Had it going for 5 or 6 minutes with no result.

Can you please try 2 things for me.

[ul][li]First, can you please delete every GPX on the unit and reload them.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Second, please go into the media directory and delete all of the images under the Geocache directory there. Over time the unit seems to collect more and more and they're not always deleted when the caches are.[/li][/ul]

If that doesn't fix the issue, please send me a copy of your GPX files.

Thanks,
David

I deleted everything and then reloaded just a few hundred caches and then tried to do the Nearby Search, but same result - just goes round and round.

So I again deleted everything and reloaded the Upgrade which creates the Top 1000 Caches file. I then tried to do a Nearby Search, but same result - just goes in an endless search?

Next I deleted the Top 1000 Caches file and loaded a 229 cache file from GSAK. And I get this?

Ok, I've seen this before and I'm on the phone to Magellan. We saw this in the Beta Version but it was supposed to be fixed, so let me talk to Eric and see what he has to say. This is a recoverable problem, however, let me do some leg work before I suggest a fix.

David

P.S. When the Beta did this to me I was able to recover, but it took a little bit of time to do it!

April 19, 2011
11:50 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
2467sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is the factory pre-installed Europe.imi for the ex710, which suddenly shows the sub-maps.

BR
Sockeye

April 19, 2011
11:48 pm
pprass
Members
2466sp_Permalink sp_Print

That file was created using the "Send Geocaches to GPSr" function on GSAK.

I created the same file using the "Export>GPX/LOC file..." function, but same result.

April 19, 2011
11:38 pm
pprass
Members
2465sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

pprass wrote:

Has anyone tried the "Find next closest Geocache?" function?

When I tried it, it goes to a screen titled "Nearby Search Result" with a disk going round and round, but nothing happens. Had it going for 5 or 6 minutes with no result.

Can you please try 2 things for me.

[ul][li]First, can you please delete every GPX on the unit and reload them.[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Second, please go into the media directory and delete all of the images under the Geocache directory there. Over time the unit seems to collect more and more and they're not always deleted when the caches are.[/li][/ul]

If that doesn't fix the issue, please send me a copy of your GPX files.

Thanks,
David

April 19, 2011
11:15 pm
David
Members
2464sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sockeye,

Thanks,
David

April 19, 2011
9:47 pm
S!G
Members
2462sp_Permalink sp_Print

I looked at this today, after someone said it yesterday. And yes, I do see those lines when zoomed in pretty close. It's like the effect, we've had once in the Tritons, when comming to a boarder from one RMP map to another. But this is a effect within ONE imi map.

April 19, 2011
9:40 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
2461sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

some european users now see the sub-maps of their Europe maps in high level zoom. Is this also the case with the US map?
Screenshot

BR
Sockeye

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 12
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
rtk3553, savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply