New Firmware available for eX510, 610 and 710. | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
New Firmware available for eX510, 610 and 710.
April 27, 2011
11:11 pm
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2599sp_Permalink sp_Print

NataliaS,

Message sent.

April 27, 2011
3:52 pm
NataliaS
Members
Forum Posts: 1
2584sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello pprass!

I’d like to see the problem with deleted Geocaches in my eX710. Could you help me please with it. And provide me with GPX file containing the “229 cache from GSAK”.
Maybe it’ll help to solve this problem.
Thank you!

April 24, 2011
4:26 pm
zee
Members
Forum Posts: 21
2543sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the info, guys. Good to know what to expect, and what is normal, so I don't return it thinking that it wasn't working right.

April 24, 2011
1:50 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2540sp_Permalink sp_Print

zee wrote:

Indy,
Thanks for the slow movement problem comment. Was it like that before the upgrade? That sticky/hanging/freezing problem in a Garmin 62s, was the biggest reason that I returned it.
On any of my units, SiRF or otherwise, when I move a foot, it updates and shows it, no matter how slow I move the unit. SporTrak, Meridian, Triton, and all Garmin 60 units.
quote]

I find my 610 very reasonable when approaching a cache; yes, it takes a moment to update when moving very slowly and not far, but not to the point of being a nuisance. As I wait for it to update I'm looking for the cache anyway, so I don't notice if there's a delay. Hard to find fault with this unit, and since the upgraded FW, the instant switch from the current screen and the Geocache Details screen with the hard button, will be a big plus in the field.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 24, 2011
8:17 am
KI4HLW
Members
Forum Posts: 64
2539sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think this may be happening to me to actually, both latest firmware and previous. As I get close I tend to use my "geosense" but the times I have needed the GPS to help narrow it down it tends to lag if I only move a few feet at a time.

- iPhone Repair @ http://www.irepairvero.com

April 24, 2011
8:10 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2538sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello zee,

as I described in my former review, the device is not able to detect movements at a speed of 2 km/h (1,2 mi/h) and lower.

Likely this has been made in the GPS firmware to reduce 'ghost-movements' at standstill. Let's call it 'static navigation light'.

This effect was there in the firmware 3.63 also.

Unfortunately there is no setting to turn off this 'static navigation light' or to set the speed limit for it. This is fixed in the firmware and cannot be changed by user.

Don't get me wrong, the accuracy and the sensitivity of the device are very high. Your position is actualized in periodic intervalls by the device.

But nearby a geocache and approaching it very slowly the device masks or ignores your movement and actualizing of the position lasts much longer. You have to hang around and wait for an actual position.

It would be nice to have a setting in the firmware to configure this 'static navigation light' (turn on/off, speed limit). Especially in geocaching mode/profile.

Nevertheless you can't do anything wrong with an eXplorist x10... 😉

Greetings,
Indy

April 23, 2011
7:09 pm
zee
Members
Forum Posts: 21
2534sp_Permalink sp_Print

Indy,
Thanks for the slow movement problem comment. Was it like that before the upgrade? That sticky/hanging/freezing problem in a Garmin 62s, was the biggest reason that I returned it.
On any of my units, SiRF or otherwise, when I move a foot, it updates and shows it, no matter how slow I move the unit. SporTrak, Meridian, Triton, and all Garmin 60 units.
I had hoped to find out if the User Grid>Lambert worked as it was suppose to, before buying a 510, but I guess that I will have to break down and buy one to find out what works and what dosen't work. Can always send it back.

April 23, 2011
2:47 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2528sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

phild31 wrote:
But, there would seem to be some kind of a problem with this part of the firmware.

You are not alone pprass :dry:

Ok - thanks Phil. Just waiting on Eric from Magellan to respond then. It's been a bit longer than 24 hours now :huh:

pprass,

I'm sorry about that, however, I will give Eric a call on Monday. There have been some things going on that have taken a lot of my time and I know that there have been some things going on with Eric as well. So, I will contact him on Monday and see what he says.

David

April 23, 2011
2:31 am
pprass
Members
2527sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:
But, there would seem to be some kind of a problem with this part of the firmware.

Ok - thanks Phil. Just waiting on Eric from Magellan to respond then. It's been a bit longer than 24 hours now :huh:

April 23, 2011
1:53 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2526sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've got a 710 but with the new update 4.83 on it.
I sometimes get the "Nearby Search Result" but with a blank page. No results showing. That has happened 3 times.
Most of the time I get the proper result. At least 25 times.
Once I got the cache I had just found as the only one on the list.
I never saw the radar symbol and the screen never froze on me.
And at about noon today the unit shut down, no warning just shut off.
I started it back up and tried the same thing again and it worked fine!
So I spent half an hour "finding" caches and clicking 'yes' each time, it worked perfectly 35 times.
All my problems started yesterday.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 23, 2011
1:09 am
pprass
Members
2525sp_Permalink sp_Print

pure_mahem wrote:
.... I didn't wait so long for the new 4.whatever version because I got the 3.22 still sitting there on my desktop. So far so good though!

You're the only other person on this site that has stated that they have loaded the 4.82 update onto their 610.

Can you tell me if the "Find next closest Geocache?" function works on your GPS?

After you have found a cache and then click "Found" (and then enter comments if you wish)you should get a question "Find next closest Geocache?" When you click "Yes" on that screen you should then get another screen titled "Nearby Search Result" which should list all of the nearby caches. However with my GPS, that screen just hangs and that little radar symbol just goes round and round. IS that what happens with yours, or do you get a list of caches?

April 22, 2011
8:50 pm
pure_mahem
Members
Forum Posts: 6
2523sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

After reading how well the new firmware loaded and runs I jumped in the deep end and loaded my 710. So far all good.

Now don't let me down!!

Graham.

I saved the previous update on my computer, Just in case. That way if there is a later major issue, I can always go back. Not like you can just go back to your previous version firmware any other way, at least that I know of. I waited a long time before doing the last update because I had no way of saving the factory firmware that came on my 610 the 2.62. Once I made the jump to 3.22 I just left the update saved on my desk top. I didn't wait so long for the new 4.whatever version because I got the 3.22 still sitting there on my desktop. So far so good though!

April 21, 2011
3:55 pm
phild31
Members
2497sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

Hi Phil,

When you send caches from GSAK do you have Clear from GPSr before Send... Waypoints ticked?

Graham.

It depends, if I'm loading just a few caches (less than 200) I don't clear the GPS.
I'm always loading new caches straight from GC.com so I don't want to lose them.
If I'm loading a whole new file for a different area I always clear it.
At least every 2 - 3 weeks I clear the entire files, caches, wpts, pictures - everything from the 710 and load what I then need/want.

I have had zero problems with the new update. :cheer:

Your Mileage May Vary of course. 😛

Phil

April 21, 2011
3:31 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2496sp_Permalink sp_Print

After reading how well the new firmware loaded and runs I jumped in the deep end and loaded my 710. So far all good.

Now don't let me down!!

Graham.

April 21, 2011
3:26 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2495sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

The child waypoints are on the waypoints list.
A problem is that the limit for WPTs is 2,000, I've found that when I have over 3,500 caches loaded I usually reach the 2,000 limit of WPTs, so all the WPTs won't be there.

Hi Phil,

When you send caches from GSAK do you have Clear from GPSr before Send... Waypoints ticked?

I found that if you don't have it ticked the child waypoints are loaded multiple times (i.e. each time you send the caches) and you hit the 2000 WPT limit quickly. Pictures are the same so that box should be ticked also.

Graham.

April 21, 2011
2:57 pm
phild31
Members
2494sp_Permalink sp_Print

The child waypoints are on the waypoints list.
A problem is that the limit for WPTs is 2,000, I've found that when I have over 3,500 caches loaded I usually reach the 2,000 limit of WPTs, so all the WPTs won't be there.

When you get inside the accuracy of the unit (15 feet?) and you are not moving (1 -2 mph) the unit can not tell exactly where you are.
It can show you are within a 30 foot circle.
This in inherent for all GPSr.

As an experiment I took 5 different GPSr from 3 manufacturers, placed them all on a picnic table and let them all track for 1/2 an hour.
In the 1/2 hour all of them created a track that moved up to 45 feet away from the starting point and was wandering all over the place.

An interesting web site I found dealing with this is GeoDrift.com

April 21, 2011
8:15 am
Indy
Members
Forum Posts: 49
2491sp_Permalink sp_Print

Please give us a handling of child-waypoints for a cache! Please! 😉

Another point is the fact, that movement at a speed of 2 km/h (1,2 mi/h) and lower is not recognized by the device. In geocaching mode and approaching a waypoint that is not amusing.

Is this a kind of 'static navigation' activated in the Sirf III chipset or a setting in the firmware?

April 20, 2011
11:25 pm
phild31
Members
2488sp_Permalink sp_Print

This update is great!
It's also boring!
Where's the fun in talking about that? 😛

Everything seems to work as advertised, so far no major "OMG the unit crashed, won't reset, set my PC on fire and caused the moon to leave it's orbit" problems by everyone. :woohoo:

Sorry pprass, I know you still have real issues. :blush:

April 20, 2011
8:34 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2487sp_Permalink sp_Print

denisetdoris wrote:

.... I regret having brought up the subject. can we put it to rest now and get back to the Firmware ?

B) The update is great, isn't it? Only some minor comments until now.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 20, 2011
6:42 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2486sp_Permalink sp_Print

.... I regret having brought up the subject. can we put it to rest now and get back to the Firmware ?

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply