Magellan present new generation handheld GPS units | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Magellan present new generation handheld GPS units
July 21, 2010
4:23 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My main problem is I don't like the controls or screens of the Garmin & DeLorme units. Even when they don't work as advertised the Magellan units are easier for me to use out in the real world.
Personally, I don't understand everyone's obsession with smaller & ever smaller units.

The expolristXL may be larger but the screen can be seen and read in any conditions.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 21, 2010
7:41 am
EddieB606
Members
Forum Posts: 17

phild31 wrote:

Miniwhip wrote:

Sockeye wrote:

...if the firmware is as buggy and uncomplete as the Triton FW launch, they will miss their last chance...

BR
Sockeye

There have never been wiser words spoken. I'm 100% confident that they will deliver this time.

I think I'll wait for all the bugs, bad software, broken promises and futile upgrades are proven fixed before I spend any more of my limited money THIS time!

I'm sick of being an unpaid beta tester for them.

Well, I feel better now after that rant. 😛

Rant on Brother!!! I totally agree. As I've said, I have long supported Magellan's car units, still do, this is the first outdoor unit of theirs I've used. I supported it in the beginning, talked a couple people into buying one, which I deeply regret now, but now I tell people to steer clear. It is a huge disappointment and has become my backup unit that only comes out when my iPhone dies. Once I save up enough for a new Garmin, it will be craigslist.
Magellan needs to focus on the Auto market where they are top of the line and leave the outdoor market to the pros, like Garmin and DeLorme. Or at least show that they plan to make things right with the GC customers that have a bad taste left in their mouths.

July 21, 2010
6:55 am
phild31
Members

Miniwhip wrote:

Sockeye wrote:

...if the firmware is as buggy and uncomplete as the Triton FW launch, they will miss their last chance...

BR
Sockeye

There have never been wiser words spoken. I'm 100% confident that they will deliver this time.

What makes you 100% confident they will deliver this time?
They never delivered on the Triton series, the GC still has real problems and now they think we can trust them to deliver what they promise again?

I think I'll wait for all the bugs, bad software, broken promises and futile upgrades are proven fixed before I spend any more of my limited money THIS time!

If it wasn't for this forum and the triton forum both the T2000 & the GC would be next to useless with the non-existent customer support I've gotten from Maggie over the years.

So far the exploristXL is the only unit that has always done what was promised, except for the minor problem that they had to recall and replace every one of the first units sold! And that was their best release of a new unit!

I'm sick of being an unpaid beta tester for them.

Well, I feel better now after that rant. 😛

July 20, 2010
11:56 pm
EddieB606
Members
Forum Posts: 17

Hmm....shouldn't they work out all the bugs with the GC first? :dry: New units sound good in theory, but until my GC is up to speed, I'm not wasting more money. I love my Magellan car units, but I'm less than impressed with the GC.

July 20, 2010
12:40 am
Miniwhip
Guests

Sockeye wrote:

BR
Sockeye

July 19, 2010
4:22 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170

I had the chance to play around with these new units. They look stylish, fit nicely in the hand and make a high quality impression.

The software installed was not even in beta state. You could navigate through the menues and get an impression what will be possible. I could not do real tests to functionality due to the state of the firmware. (e.g. the 710 was running 610 firmware, so routing could not be checked)

But what I could do is to open the unit, take out the batteries and insert my micro SD card, prepared with a Maps4me *.imi, a *.poi and *.rmp maps. :whistle:

The change of the microSD card was quite a fumbling... I therefore wouldnt want to change it frequently...

The *.imi and the *.poi maps were accepted by the unit. The *rmp was not. But the sales representative promised the units will be fully downward compatible to RMP and IMI. That's good news.

Now let us hope, they will work on the firmware with due diligence, because (and I think they all know) if the firmware is as buggy and uncomplete as the Triton FW launch, they will miss their last chance...

BR
Sockeye

July 16, 2010
5:15 pm
phild31
Members

Oh boy, a new toy! :woohoo:
It does look like Maggie has listened to user input with this release.
With a bigger screen and all the features these will have it looks like a winner.
Hopefully there will be very few problems with this release.
I'm looking forward to October and getting one.

July 16, 2010
12:15 am
Miniwhip
Guests

Not sure yet, but I can't wait to get my hands on one!

July 15, 2010
10:23 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

So Craig, what's the scoop on these new units?

David

July 15, 2010
10:22 pm
Miniwhip
Guests

It's in German(?), but here's even more info, and screenshots!

http://www.topomap.hr/forum/vi.....#038;t=121

July 15, 2010
12:52 pm
DavorF
Members
Forum Posts: 28

Today Magellan unveiled new generation of handheld GPS devices - the eXplorists 510/610/710

More info on Magellan site - http://www.magellangps.com

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 2
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply