Magellan "Chirp" Product | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Magellan "Chirp" Product
December 3, 2010
6:32 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

phild31 wrote:

Oh yeah, that $20 chirp beacon will be left out as a waypoint in a multi-cache, personally I'm not spending 20 bucks to set-up a one stage multi that will need batteries changed someday or get lost/stolen!

jeah, especially all the guys without a compatible reciever, trying to break that micro cache open to get out the coordinates...

BR
Sockeye

December 3, 2010
5:17 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

Oh yeah, that $20 chirp beacon will be left out as a waypoint in a multi-cache, personally I'm not spending 20 bucks to set-up a one stage multi that will need batteries changed someday or get lost/stolen!

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 3, 2010
5:00 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

The whole point, and only point, of a chirp transmitter is to transmit the coordinates of a cache/waypoint to a receiver when in range.
You are not supposed to find the chirp transmitter, just get close to it, then it tells you where the next waypoint is.
Think of it as a where-i-go cache that will only work with certain Garmin units.

I have already expressed my objection to this blatant promo of Garmin to Groundspeak.

At least with Where-i-go there are several manufacturers for devices (PDAs) that work.

My understanding, from the GC forums, is that Garmin came out with this without consulting Groundspeak about it. :ohmy:

The chirp caches will be rated 5 terrain (special equipment) unless an alternative way to find it is provided.
A 'beacon' attribute must be on the cache page also.

For me it's just something else to ignore. 🙁

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 2, 2010
9:24 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251

You made my day. :woohoo:

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

December 2, 2010
9:21 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170

Well the T1500/2000 have Ant Hardware... B)

But, if you have a Triton or eXplorist, I do not see any use for this Chirp thingie... Ok, if you are geocahing with a Garmin it may make sense to have somthing tell you that you are near a defined spot.. :laugh:

BR
Sockeye

December 2, 2010
8:40 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646

Here is the cool thing about Magellan - if we ask, they give us real answers:

Hey David,

It looks like the Chirp users ANT technology to transmit its location to compatible devices. We currently don’t have ANT in any of our new outdoor devices, so no, Chirp is not compatible with Magellan units. As for our future plans, who knows…

Best regards,

Eric
Magellan

So there is the honest and upfront answer!

Later,
David

December 2, 2010
8:37 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251

I have ask this question to magellan, just as the chirp was announced. The answer was like that:
The eX x10 has no capabilities for recognising the chirp.
So the first question for sure has to be answerd with "NO"
As the eX x10 is a brand new product, I guess, there will be nothing like the chirp at least until we have a new device.

I wonder, if the Triton could be something like "chirpable". Let me explain, why: The mobile mapper 6 can be used with additional equipment, like additional sensors for cycling etc. As we know, the MM6 and the T2000 have nearly the same hardware in the most parts, there could be a tiny chance, that the T2000 could have something like the ANT+ protocol. But if so, for sure only with a additional mod.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 4
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply