Magellan 710 - finding geocaches | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Magellan 710 - finding geocaches
July 30, 2012
9:22 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6880sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tuena

There's a lot of options with these units, it will take some time to find the set-up that works best for you.
Just be patient when you get close to a geocache and remember that all handheld units have an accuracy of 4 to 5 meters (16 feet) at best.
That means your target could be anywhere in a 10 meter circle.

But the 710 is good at getting you pretty close.

A word of warning though, carry spare batteries, these things use up batteries fairly quickly.

Any questions or problems you have just post them on this forum, there are quite a few people here that will help.

Phil

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 30, 2012
2:09 am
Tuena
Members
Forum Posts: 7
6879sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Phild31 for those tips - I shall turn the smart arrow back on & look more closely!

July 30, 2012
2:05 am
Tuena
Members
6878sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Graham

I had downloaded that manual plus found a review by a fellow in the UK which was helpful. Its probably just a matter of understanding all the terms eg Position Destination Line & experimentation.

July 29, 2012
2:28 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6877sp_Permalink sp_Print

The arrow on the screen is your position, the little green flag is where you were when you pressed 'Go To'.
Under settings go to 'Map Options', in 'Orientation' set it for 'Track Up', that will keep the arrow pointing in the direction you are moving and spin the map.
I also like the smart arrow set on, it will change color - green when you are heading towards the target, red when away.

On 'Map Fields' I like it set with two fields, distance to end and accuracy.

Zoom in & out on the map to keep the target on the map then zoom for whatever detail you want on the map.

Some screen shots;

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 29, 2012
1:56 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
6876sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Tuena,

The blue line is the Position Destination Line and you will find it useful. But if you wish to turn it off go to Setting then Map Options then Position Destination Line and turn it off.

Again I would suggest you download the manual which will help your with the different setting in the 710.
http://support.magellangps.com.....av=0,18,24

Graham

July 29, 2012
11:31 am
Tuena
Members

Attempted to locate my first geocache today in the bush (forest) but couldn't really understand the navigation method presented. Selected the geocache & was taken to the map screen. I then had to follow a blue line to GZ but it took me to two separate locations 30 metres apart & indicated via vibration when I was 6 metres away from each. The distance away from GZ seemed to stall at 10 metres so I would just walk around until the distance away started to count down again.

This blue line acted a bit like a windscreen wiper which made following it difficult.

There was a green flag or like which I assumed was my position. The arrow on the screen never moved always pointing in one direction (towards the top of the screen). With me wandering all over the place my tracks started to confuse the whole screen but did clear them.

I'd rather just have a largish arrow which would point towards GZ & a field that would show distance away.

I did find an arrow when selecting the cache from the description but it was so small as to be almost impossible to see.

Is it possible to bypass the maps & just have a large arrow pointing to GZ?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply