Importing a route | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Importing a route
October 31, 2011
4:45 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4475sp_Permalink sp_Print

sondre wrote:

phild31 wrote:

You can also easily edit a route or track in VP

Hm... I have found no way to easily edit a route in VP..
It is very easy to create a route, but you cannot easily edit it..
The only options you have is to add (to the end of the route), move points up/down, or delete points.
If you want to fix mistakes in the middle of the route, you have to recreate the whole route :angry: :angry: :angry:

With a track, you at least can reposition individual points... on a route: forget about it.
VP needs some enhancements here (and until that happens I rely on gspbabel to convert routes to tracks and tracks to routes).
(gpsbabel will also convert KML and a multitude of other formats to GPX, which VP does understand)

BR
Sondre

Yes you are right, VP is very limited in what you can do editing a route.
Since I got the 710 I no longer create routes to multiple caches, I just let the 710 get me to the next cache.
When I'm off road for a bunch of caches I will create a track to have on the 710 if I think I'll need it to find trails.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

October 30, 2011
11:27 pm
phild31
Members
4471sp_Permalink sp_Print

randyandcindy wrote:

There is freeware app KML2GPX.exe authored by Derek Rosen that is easy to use. Draw your trail in Google Earth and save it as a .kml file. Be sure to specify the .kml extension because the default will be a .kmz which does not translate directly by Rosen's app. The Google Earth trail can be made by straight line point-point segments or by just drawing it with a mouse if you have a steady hand. If you mess up with the mouse then just keep going and fix the .gpx after you get it into VantagePoint. Trying to backtrack in Google Earth only makes it more messed up.

Woo Hoo! :woohoo:
That KML2GPX.exe works perfectly and easily.
Thanks for pointing us to it Randy.

I stopped looking for a converter or track creating program a long time ago because I had Terrain Navigator and just use that.
But drawing a path on Google Earth & converting it to GPX is much easier and it's free! :cheer:

Here's a track I drew & loaded to VP and the 710 in about 5 minutes;

October 30, 2011
10:55 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
4470sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Hm... I have found no way to easily edit a route in VP..
It is very easy to create a route, but you cannot easily edit it..
The only options you have is to add (to the end of the route), move points up/down, or delete points.
If you want to fix mistakes in the middle of the route, you have to recreate the whole route :angry: :angry: :angry:

With a track, you at least can reposition individual points... on a route: forget about it.
VP needs some enhancements here (and until that happens I rely on gspbabel to convert routes to tracks and tracks to routes).
(gpsbabel will also convert KML and a multitude of other formats to GPX, which VP does understand)

BR
Sondre

October 30, 2011
8:18 pm
randyandcindy
Members
Forum Posts: 55
4468sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is freeware app KML2GPX.exe authored by Derek Rosen that is easy to use. Draw your trail in Google Earth and save it as a .kml file. Be sure to specify the .kml extension because the default will be a .kmz which does not translate directly by Rosen's app. The Google Earth trail can be made by straight line point-point segments or by just drawing it with a mouse if you have a steady hand. If you mess up with the mouse then just keep going and fix the .gpx after you get it into VantagePoint. Trying to backtrack in Google Earth only makes it more messed up.

geocaching name: cindy&randy
I (Randy) am the guy, and therefore entitled to hold and control the TV remote and of course the GPSr.

October 30, 2011
7:31 pm
phild31
Members
4467sp_Permalink sp_Print

The subject of this thread should be "IMPORTING A TRACK" because you can easily create or import a route in VP.

What is needed is a way to create or import a track in VP to transfer to the GPSr.
A track should have many more points than a route, not less.
To make a track you should draw it on a map, not create dozens of separate waypoints.
Think bread crumbs.
To make an accurate track with the GPSr you set the tracking to make a point every 5 seconds.
When you save the track it will show everywhere you went as a line on the map, not a series of waypoints.

So far I've tried dozens of free/cheap GPX editors and none have been able to create a track that VP can use.

There are several mapping programs, like Terrain Navigator, that can create tracks but they are relatively expensive.
This is the formats that VP will support for importing tracks;

October 30, 2011
1:42 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
4465sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is a round about way of importing route I believe will work.

First of I have a TomTom auto GPS and this is what I do for it.
I make a route on google maps then I convert it to TomTom format buy copying link to ( http://www.houghi.org/tomtom/ ) Then click the submit button and this converts it to TomTom format. Then save the new file to your computer.

Now here is the part that I think will work for Magellan format.

Download a free (Donation ) program called TYRE

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/...../index.php

Then you can open the saved file with TYRE and edit the amount of flags by just deleting the amount of flags by just leaving just the important turn flags there say 5 or 6 flags. Then save the altered route in Garmin GPX format then I believe you canopen e GPX file in Vantage point and then save it in the Magellan format.

Note : you can go to TYRE and create your route right within the tyre program if you choose, skipping the Google Map step , Tyre uses Google Map but I don't believe you can click on route and drag it if you want to alter the route that Google draws between point A & B.

I Just looked at the NEW TYRE and you can now drag the route within Tyre so there should be no need to do the first steps I talked about, just open TYRE and create your route and save it in GPX format then open it with VP

October 29, 2011
4:54 pm
sondre
Members
4456sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm sure Terrain Navigator is a good product, but a few of us live outside US..... For us the possibility to make a track in VP, or convert a route to a track in VP would be very handy B)
(making routes in VP is very quick and easy)

October 29, 2011
4:53 pm
randyandcindy
Members
Forum Posts: 55
4455sp_Permalink sp_Print

Free is better, per the Cheap Bast**d Law, which I obey. So here is how I do it: Get a track that already exists, which is somewhat similar in the number of points and is geographically closest to where you want to create the new track. Using the VP track editor (or any other .gpx track editor) start moving the points one by one to where you want them, then save your result to a new track file name.

geocaching name: cindy&randy
I (Randy) am the guy, and therefore entitled to hold and control the TV remote and of course the GPSr.

October 29, 2011
3:50 pm
phild31
Members
4448sp_Permalink sp_Print

By the way, I have found that I can copy the Terrain Navigator CDs.
I carry the copies with me while traveling and hunting to use on my laptop.
I don't know if they have made the newest versions coded to prevent copies, I've had these for a long time.

So I have made copies of them for my hunting buddies and the copies work perfectly.
You can't update the copies but otherwise they work fine.
I have New England and Colorado CDs, if anyone is interested send me an e-mail or PM and I can send you copies.
There's 10 CDs for new England and 11 for Colorado.

October 29, 2011
3:20 pm
phild31
Members
4445sp_Permalink sp_Print

The problem with using a route is you have a bunch of flags with straight lines between them on the 710.

If you have Terrain Navigator use it to make a track by just drawing on the map where you want the track.
Transfer it to VP as a GPX track and then put it on the GPSr.
It will show as a track on the GPSr map.

Attached files

track_3-20111029.png

October 29, 2011
2:09 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
4444sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I see your point now. I built a route showing the local no-hunting zone, and just goto that route, so I can see it on the map. In my scenerio I don't do another goto, so it isn't an issue. Your scenerio is different and totally logical.

Sorry I couldn't help more...

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

October 29, 2011
10:13 am
sondre
Members
4443sp_Permalink sp_Print

The problem is also that I can't get a route to show on the GPS unless I use GoTo on that route. Have I missed something here ?
With that behaviour a route is useless for the purpose of drawing the border around an area, as it does not show when you want to GoTo something else. A track works perfectly for the purpose.

I don't understand why we can't create tracks in VP, or at least have the possibility to convert a route to a track in VP. I'd like to see that functionality in VP in the future.

BR
Sondre

October 29, 2011
5:58 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
4442sp_Permalink sp_Print

You know, if you use MOBAC, you can build your own map using the Google Earth or Hybrid (my personal preference), load that into VP, and build your route using VP directly. Still can't convert a route to a track with VP, but at least you can build a route and use it on the unit. And you can overlay the Earth map with others and see your topo at the same time. MOBAC version 1.8 works well for me, with the most recent VP version and a 610.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

October 29, 2011
2:51 am
Dustydew
Members
Forum Posts: 28
4441sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have Terrain Navigator, but use NG Topo a lot more. But what I like to do on Google Earth is plot out the route by looking at the satellite image and finding the old roads to follow.

I don't understand how to use Babel, so I guess I will just deal with the flags... 🙂

Thanks guys!!

Dustydew

October 28, 2011
8:45 pm
phild31
Members
4440sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use - Terrain Navigator - to create a track and import it as a GPX track to VP, then put it on my 710 as a track.

Terrain Navigator is a mapping program that has USGS Topo maps on CDs.
It's not cheap, New England cost about $100.
The mid Atlantic states $100.
The other states are about $100 each.
I have New England and Colorado.

If you go here - http://phild31.com/VPtracks.html - you can see what the track I made looks like on VP.

October 28, 2011
4:41 pm
sondre
Members
4439sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi !

I also get those flags when i create a route in VP.
I don't know of any solutions to this but using then free software gpsBabel to convert the route to a track. I use VP to create routes around an area, and since I have found no ways in VP to convert a route to a track (and I want a track for the same reason you have), i use gpsbabel.
This is the code for convertiong a route (exported from VP to a gpx-file into a track in gpx-format):
"C:Program FilesGPSBabelgpsbabel" -i gpx -f r.gpx -x transform,trk=rte -o gpx -F t.gpx

If anybody has better ways, I'll be glad to know. If not... then you at least have a way to fix the thing

BR
Sondre

October 28, 2011
1:37 pm
Dustydew
Members
Forum Posts: 28

Hi All,

I just created a route in Google Earth and imported it to VP, then exported it to my EX710. It worked great except there are all these little flags marking the waypoints I assume! Is there a better way to import a route so the flags don't appear on the GPS? I really just want a line to follow while we do some cross-country horseback riding to a destination.

(PS.. first I tried to just drop the KML file from GE into the GPS but it didn't seem to work, so then I imported it to VP and went from there.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Dustydew

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply