I did not know this was possible | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
I did not know this was possible
August 3, 2011
5:30 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks ! this old brain need the exercise LOL

August 3, 2011
4:08 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479

The next time the GPSr tells you you are within 5 feet put it down for 15 minutes and then look at the track it made in those 15 minutes.

These things will get you close but they are not capable of 5 foot accuracy, no matter what the darn thing says!
And how accurate and careful was the person who placed the cache?

Use your eyes, brains and experience to find the cache.
It will get easier over time. 😛

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

August 3, 2011
4:06 pm
garcor
Members

Thanks Phil I am able to figure that sometimes however when it says in a tree and you have hundreds it makes searching difficult LOL

August 3, 2011
4:01 pm
phild31
Members

Without a hint just think of where you would hide a cache.
Plus remember the difficulty/terrain rating, the size and sometimes the name of the cache is a hint.
One of my caches is named 'A Fellsmere Troll', it's hidden under a small foot bridge in a park.

August 3, 2011
3:41 pm
garcor
Members

Thanks phil !
I find it difficult to search when you are in the forest with hundreds of trees and possibles. and it is somewhere within a 30' radius and no hint.

However I find that when I am in the open my unit will get much closer sometimes within 5ft or less.

I guess I was wondering if the new software helps with the accuracy.
Gary

August 3, 2011
3:20 pm
phild31
Members

Every GPSr I have ever used does this, and I've been using them since the 1990s.
The accuracy of the GPSr is, at best, about 15 feet and the satellites are moving so the signals change constantly.
The signals are extremely weak and the processor in a consumer handheld unit doesn't have much power to interpret them.
The units that the military and professional surveyors use cost thousands of dollars.
What that means for us is that GroundZero will always be moving around a little bit.
This is called geodrift.
If you are interested in learning more about this go here - Geodrift.com

Plus if the accuracy of the unit is 15 feet then GZ is somewhere/anywhere in a 30 foot circle.
The good news is that these units are getting better as the technology improves.

Once you get to within 20 feet or so of a cache start looking for the cache and stop looking at the gps. 😉

August 3, 2011
1:56 pm
garcor
Members

What I am finding very strange is I can be sitting in my house ( One story) with the 710 sitting on my desk and without moving it , the unit will keep making tracks all over the place i would say a radius of about 100 ft or so without moving the unit at all.

The other issue I have is when going to a cache under fairly heavy tree canopy I quite often get within 15ft of cache and then my arrow will start going all over the place (side to side and some times in the opposite direction)
I have rolled back to software 4.83 this could be my problem ?

July 22, 2011
2:19 pm
phild31
Members

I've been constantly amazed & pleased by the reception and accuracy of my 710 and GC.
The Triton 2000 is good but the new explorists are much better.
The explorist XL is ok, but my Meridian Platinum is hopeless compared to the 710.

July 22, 2011
1:47 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400

I used to get good reception from our basement apartment, WAAS regularly as well. Now much better on the 2nd floor. My Triton wasn't bad either, but the old eX series was horrid indoors !

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

July 21, 2011
5:17 pm
JimD
Members
Forum Posts: 5

I find this rather curious. My office is in the interior of our building, no windows and with an acoustic ceiling about 10 ft high. Above the ceiling there is a plenum (about 10 ft, with lots of stuff) then the roof of our facility. The roof is obviously insulated and has a gravel and asphalt surface. Yesterday during lunch I was playing with my 710, in my office, and after about ten minutes it was picking up the satellite signals and was able to fix my position. I find this remarkable, my old Meridian Paltinum would never have been able to do this.

Is the sensitvity of the new GPSs that much better?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 6
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply