How to uninstal the update | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
How to uninstal the update
April 23, 2011
6:59 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2532sp_Permalink sp_Print

S!G wrote:

I think, it would be much more easy for the Magellan guys, to find a kind of "List" where every suggestion is explaind as short and as accurat as possible.
You know, "they" are reading this forum. But if a good suggestion is within a thread of 10 pages of discussion, it will be probably missed.

So my suggestion for anybody here would be, that someone has to write down such a thread. No discussion in that special thread, but somewhere else.

In an odd way, I believe that is what is happening! No, I don't work for Magellan, however, they do have me working with them and I read every post made on both the eXplorist Forum and the Triton Forum and I also read a number of the post on the technology forum on GC.com and I forward almost every suggestion made directory to the Product Manager himself. I a give week I will forward as many as a dozen ideas to him via email and I normally talk to him at least once a week on the phone.
Also, Magellan is working on a way that we, their tester, can fill out a form on their website containing all of the information needed for a tech report that will be forwarded not only to Eric, but also the software writers and tech support team automatically.
Maybe I should jump ahead of them and toss such a forum on my site so that I can do a better job collecting the information for them, because sometimes I forget to get all of the details!

David

April 23, 2011
2:45 pm
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2531sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think, it would be much more easy for the Magellan guys, to find a kind of "List" where every suggestion is explaind as short and as accurat as possible.
You know, "they" are reading this forum. But if a good suggestion is within a thread of 10 pages of discussion, it will be probably missed.

So my suggestion for anybody here would be, that someone has to write down such a thread. No discussion in that special thread, but somewhere else.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 22, 2011
10:16 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
2524sp_Permalink sp_Print

It would seem that the main complaint from egumus is the split screen keyboard.
We can create a waypoint easier now but editing said waypoint is the same as before.

This update did not make it harder to edit a waypoint but it did not make it easier.
But nobody said it would.

What they did improve works, but they have not made all the improvements we all would like to see.

I don't know about anyone else but I have never seen a perfect machine. There is always something that someone does not like.

But rant on brother!
I know it makes me feel better to rant & rave now and then.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

April 22, 2011
8:41 pm
Sockeye
Members
Forum Posts: 170
2522sp_Permalink sp_Print

egumus wrote:

Now creating waypoint become a pain.....

As I use the waypoint creation as "man overboard" function, I set it to the configurable hard button. Press once and the waypoint is created & saved.

BR
Sockeye

April 22, 2011
4:51 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
2519sp_Permalink sp_Print

Egumus,

If you go to Jungle Ghost site you can download the old firmware:

Jungle Ghost

David

April 22, 2011
4:23 pm
egumus
Members
Forum Posts: 14
2518sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok.May be I am to much emotional about devices.
I have to admit that I love Magellan GPS's since I met in 1998.
And this is my third device.

I also appreciate the new four corner touch screen interface.

My complain was this device could really be perfect
with a little bit more care and logical design.

Very soon I will share a detailed review of mine.

April 22, 2011
2:18 pm
warfieldm
Members
Forum Posts: 50
2517sp_Permalink sp_Print

First off, being angry doesn't solve anything and clouds one's vision to resolve a situation in the most effective and efficient manner. Second, if the prior firmware version was working for you, why did you update it? Doing so creates a level of risk that you accepted by performing the update.

Personally, I held onto a copy of the prior version before updating...just in case. I'm well aware that when hundreds of thousands of people use a device and request feature changes, some of those are not going to be appealing to me. The alternative is to have a custom application developed specifically for yourself. If you have hundreds of thousands of euros to throw at this problem, more power to you. But when paying 450 euros for a consumer device, you are essentially agreeing to join in a cooperative effort to fund such a venture and accept that you have but one vote (cast or not) on what features to add, retain, and remove.

Yes, it can be painful to go along for the ride. However, I would put your level of pain at a one on a scale of ten as you have the option to downgrade or just click two extra times. Compared to an upgrade potential of bricking a unit and having to wait 6-8 weeks for a repair, this really is not something worth elevating one's blood pressure over.

Just my two cents.

April 22, 2011
2:03 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2516sp_Permalink sp_Print

All of the griping in the world won't change your mind about you not liking the unit. If you need to edit a waypoint, set a customized button to get you there faster. To create one, set a hard button. That simple.

Other companies make gps units too. I'm sure that everyone has something they like, or don't like about each and every one of them. I had 3 older eXplorists, loved them for some things. hated the black & white screen. I had a Triton 500. Loved the screen brightness and how accurate the tracks were, hated that it wouldn't communicate with anything but VantagePoint.

Now I have an eX 610 Canada edition. LOVE the touchscreen, but hate not having a mount that connects usb power when putting it in the mount.

There's always give and take with products. Ask a question here, you'll get answers. Whine and moan, and you'll get sarcasm, or worse, no help.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 22, 2011
12:22 pm
egumus
Members
2515sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes I have a back up of my GPS before update.

I was angry with the changes that were promoted as improvements...

As I am doing inddustrial designs, there is a simple question of efficiency.

Whate ever you do you have to think "what I get with it and what I loose without it"

Probably our Software Developers think that consumers are stupid people that when you introduce a change as an improvement thay will clap...

I am saying it again,
Creating waypoint become easier and editing it become more complex
Where is the improvmeent here...

The solution is extremely easy: make it as an option not a standart setting...

But I know why this happen, those software developers has no idea off what they are doing, just writing codes, and earning money.

I am very angy because I paid some 450€ which is alot of money for me.
And my company is testing the device on me, kidding with me, cheating me.

I dont want a machine "under construction" I need an end product, although I like, design improvement and problem solving.
I dont want to be a beta tester but a consumer.
It is more than decade Magellan is producing hand hold GPS
So why they are not able release something finished,stable...
Why should I spend my prescious time to write in this forum that the splited text menu really sucks...
Do they need to hear it from us to see what stupidness is this.
I will loose my mind at the end...

April 22, 2011
12:12 pm
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
2514sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok.... Since our counting definitely is on a different scale (I count 3, you count "hundreds"), we are probably stuck on this one.

I do however think that what I described is one klick more than the shortest way in the former release, unless you had "add waypoint" assigned to one of the hard buttons.

When it comes to editing waypoints, I can't see any changes. Do I miss something ?

I'm sure someone on this forum can help you supplying the former firmware.
The one problem with this is that you will be stuck with that version, while the rest of the world moves forward.

BR
Sondre

April 22, 2011
12:00 pm
egumus
Members
2513sp_Permalink sp_Print

sondre wrote:

- Hit the screen (to get the four corner menus up)
- Hit lower right icon
- Hit "Add Waypoint"
BR
Sondre

Dear Sir,
Thaks for your reply.
But this is what I am angry.
Why should I click houndret times for a stupid waypoint...
It was better before...
Now creating the waypoint become faster while editing it become more complicated...
In Turkish this is called "one step further two steps back...)

April 22, 2011
11:03 am
sondre
Members
Forum Posts: 74
2512sp_Permalink sp_Print

And... to do an old style "add waypoint":
- Hit the screen (to get the four corner menus up)
- Hit lower right icon
- Hit "Add Waypoint"

and there you are.....
(with the new functionality that keeps the icon you like and the name you like.. instead of "Trk1")

BR
Sondre

April 22, 2011
10:50 am
S!G
Members
Forum Posts: 251
2511sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you have a copy of your previous system, you can simply delete all files on the 610 and copy your previous system back to the device. This means, you need to have a copy of your former files.

But in fact, there are a lot of improvements in the 4.82 version and I personally can not understand, why you are so angry. But, it is your device, so feel free to return to the older firmware.

¡¿ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ sıɥʇ ʎnq ı pıp ʎɥʍ

April 22, 2011
8:11 am
egumus
Members

Hello,
Iam an Explorist 610 (europe edition) user.
Yesterday I upgrated my device to new firmware.

And I really DONT like the stupid changes that have been done.
Does anyone know how can I return to previous edition.

To be honest I haven't recognised even a single impovement in anything however they changed the functioning of waypoint hot button.
I am really very angry :angry: ....

Who is the genious mind behind these changes, I am wondering....
This is really rude what they have done...
Now creating waypoint become a pain. I have to create the way point than click, click,click...to re-open the waypoint that I created to edit it...
Why why why...I cant understand.

If they wantet to ad a fast recording dunction, it should be optional. Or the fast record button would record the waypoint not in the first but in the second click so it can give you the possibility to edit or just save.

This is the so- called modern engineering where "change" and "improvement" means the same....

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 7
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply