How long can the breadcrumb trail be? | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
How long can the breadcrumb trail be?
March 24, 2011
6:40 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1916sp_Permalink sp_Print

Brent Owen wrote:

I will have to turn down the resolution if I want to make longer tracks in the future.

Just save the track after a few hours, clear the active track and start a new one to finish the trip.
That way you can keep the resolution where you want it.
On a really long trip it shouldn't matter if you have two tracks saved instead of one.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

March 24, 2011
6:17 pm
Brent Owen
Members
Forum Posts: 56
1914sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting. The data didn't take up that much space, why limit the number of points to 10,000. 10,000 points should be enough for me, but I can imagine some people wanting more. When I drove from my house in Ontario to my house that I was selling in New Brunswick my Triton 2000 started to delete points long before I got there. I will have to turn down the resolution if I want to make longer tracks in the future.

March 24, 2011
5:49 pm
Caotix
Members
Forum Posts: 143
1913sp_Permalink sp_Print

The longest Track I recordet was on a Flight from Las Vegas to Frankfurt.
(Just 3 days after I got my new eX710 :woohoo: )
After 10.000 Points it startet to delete the first points so at the end I had only the last 5039KM and10.000 points of the total track. Next time I will switch from Auto Continuous to Auto Coarse. I guess this will keep me the complete track.

The GPX Files had a size of 1051kb the original Track data had a size of 157kb.

By the way, the same happend when I let my Triton2000 run on the flight from Frankfurt to Las Vegas. At the end there was only the last part with 4220KM and 10.000 points left.

March 24, 2011
2:56 pm
Brent Owen
Members
1912sp_Permalink sp_Print

10000 data points gives us a 13.9 hour track at 1 data point every 5 seconds. This is good information to know. Its probably a good idea to pause or save your track when you are stopped for long time (at camp for instance). I wonder how much memory 10000 data points takes up?

March 24, 2011
2:21 pm
phild31
Members
1911sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have not had a problem with track quality in auto mode, but I'm not sure what other people consider good or bad. It has always put me within 20 feet of my position when I tested the track accuracy.
And yes, it cut a few corners but not by much as I was hiking so I can't cover much ground in 5 seconds anyway.
But every 5 seconds does give you a more accurate track.

These units seem to eat batteries so I always replace with fresh ones starting a longish hike or when I get a low battery warning on start-up.
The simple way to save a long track is to save the active track after a couple of hours and start a new track. If the batteries are getting low, replace them then.

You can combine the tracks in VP later.

I already learned the hard way that it will stay in suspend mode after not starting with low batteries so I always change batteries when it won't start, then start it to make sure it's out of suspend mode.

I agree that it should stop recording when full and give a warning that it's no longer recording.

March 24, 2011
2:05 am
Charles
Members
Forum Posts: 36
1910sp_Permalink sp_Print

I may have encountered the problem with the track being overwritten on several occasions.

I have the track options set to record points at 5 second intervals. If the auto/continuous mode were used, exceeding the maximum track length would never have been a problem, but since the quality of the track in this mode is so bad, I would rather have the additional points.

In one situation, I had placed the x10 into suspend mode during a hike as the battery was starting to get low. On reaching my car, I attempted to turn on the x10 but I got a message about the battery being low, and then it seemed to turn itself off. This happened several times. Under the false assumption that the x10 had really turned itself off, I went home and tried to save the track the next day, only to find that the only points in the active track were around my house. The significant part of the track had gone. Presumably the x10 had placed itself in suspend mode after the low battery was detected and had continued to record the track. Assuming that the maximum track length is 10,000 points with a recording interval of 5 seconds, this gives a total track time of over 12 hours. This is the minimum length of time that the x10 continued to run in suspend mode after refusing to start due to a low battery.

The other case was on a relative short hike where first part of the track was missing: about 15 minutes out of a one and a half hour hike. In this case, only 818 points were collected so that capacity should not have been a problem. An alternative explanation might be that the x10 could not establish tracking, although this seems unlikely.

There several aspects of this that I consider undesirable:

• If the x10 runs out of space to record the track, I would prefer that it simply stop recording. Alternatively, it might provide a setting that would allow the user to state their preference. There might have been a warning message when the track fills up, but as the unit was in suspend mode, such a message would not exactly be useful.

• If the x10 cannot get out of suspend mode because of a low battery, it should turn itself off, instead of going back into suspend mode. As the x10 seemed to run for at least another 12 hours in suspend mode after it detected the low battery condition, it could easily have provided enough time to allow the user to save the track or to power it off properly.

• The x10 appears to be extremely finicky about detecting the battery low condition on start up. I have had the situation where the x10 would terminate the start up process due to a low battery several times in succession before finally deciding that it could complete the start up process. When it was finally running, the battery indicator showed medium. I have never had this problem with fresh batteries, but it often occurs after the batteries have been used for a few hours. In the situation described above, the x10 managed to run for at least 12 hours in suspend mode after refusing to power up.

March 23, 2011
4:25 am
phild31
Members
1903sp_Permalink sp_Print

All I can tell you is that the longest active track I noticed before I deleted it was 168 miles. That was on automatic tracking and at least 2/3 of it was in the truck.

I've never saved a track over 50 miles long, so I'm not sure what the limit is besides the 10,000 points.

To extend the length of a trail experiment with the settings of the track. If you set it to mark a point every 5 seconds you will use up the points faster than every 60 seconds.

March 23, 2011
3:43 am
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
1902sp_Permalink sp_Print

From the eX610 Specs page.....

User Generated Content

Accepts GPX Files Yes
Waypoints 2000
Routes 200
Geocaches 10000
Legs Per Route 500
Paperless Geocaching Yes
Picture Viewer Yes
Tracks 200
Points Per Track 10000

If the active track shares the same limits as any other track, then I'd guess that 10,000 would be the correct answer.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sure that someone will promptly correct me .....

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

March 23, 2011
2:56 am
Brent Owen
Members

I remember people complaining about the "breadcrumb" trail "eating" itself after the trail got to a certain length with the Triton units. The length of the trail was determined by how often the data was collected. So does anybody know how long a trail can be made with the x10 units. Is the memory available the only limiting factor?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply