Help with 710 please | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Help with 710 please
April 6, 2011
5:34 pm
fernley
Members
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2173sp_Permalink sp_Print

Graham. Thank you! Seems like a long way around, but it works and it works well! Going through the steps, it's evident that the process is consistent with the 710's interface. I just checked again and the manual doesn't describe this. Frustrating - what else am I missing?

Thank you again. The wife will now let me keep it!

April 6, 2011
2:03 pm
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
2171sp_Permalink sp_Print

Go to the POI screen. Select the category you require like hotels. Press the options button LRHC then press 'Select Location'

On the map screen move to the town you are interested in and select that point on the screen. Accept the location by pressing the 'Tick' button, bottom of screen.

A list of available hotels for that location will be displayed.

Graham.

April 6, 2011
1:19 pm
denisetdoris
Members
Forum Posts: 400
2170sp_Permalink sp_Print

I believe you can, but it's a bit longer. On the older units you would Set Custom Position, then that would become the center point of your search. Not sure on the x10 series, I haven't tried it on my 610. Try going to Settings, GPS, turn off the gps receiver (the unit won't shut off), and then scroll around the map and try to search. I believe the unit will search from the position of the icon on the map.

Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Denis Gionet, OGA Executive Member - Northern Ontario.

April 6, 2011
9:51 am
fernley
Members
Forum Posts: 2

I've had the 710 for several days and I like most everything about it. Scrolling could definitely be smoother/more consistent, and I can't imagine why someone decided to make the position arrow that BIG???

On to the topic - I've used a Garmin 60Cx for several years and one feature I used a lot is finding a classified point of interest that is down the road. Example - Three hours from Omaha I could move the map pointer to Omaha and search for hotels near the pointer. Then I could bring up the info for a hotel that was found and call them. Great! Very useful. I can find a bank at a city a hundred miles up the road by moving the pointer there and searching for banks.

With the much advanced technology of the 710, I can't believe I cannot do the same thing. Frustrating! Am I missing something?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online: jg_the_Prophet
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply