GPS Data Exchange: GEarth - ArcMap - GPSTracmaker | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
GPS Data Exchange: GEarth - ArcMap - GPSTracmaker
February 24, 2012
12:23 pm
egumus
Members
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Dear forum users I wouldlike to share some of my exeriences and problems about data exchange between Magellan Explorist X10 GPS - Google Earth- Vantage Point - ArcMap (ESRI) and GPS Trackmaker.

Opening GPSX Files in Google Earth: Using the free edition of GPS Trackmaker you can select and open your track and point data directly from the GPS device memory and within the program with single click you can view in Gooegle Earth.

Opening Google Earth drawings(points-lines) in Explorist X10: It is possible open Google Earth drawings (lines-points) on Explorist X10. First plan your route in Google earh and save as KML (not KMZ)than open the KML file with GPS Trackmaker program select the route and save as gpsx file format directly to your GPS memory (considering the gps connected to pc). The only problem about this issue is Google Earth drawing must be single line feature.If there are multiple line segments in the file GPS Trackmaker will view and save it as gpsx but your device will not be able read it.

Opening gpsx files in ESRI AcMap:if you have a any edition of ArcMap 9,3 you can simply open the gpsx files by "add data" button than you can convert them either to a Geodatabase or save as shapefiles.

Exporting data from ESRI ArcMap to MAgellan Explorist X10 GPS: Well, this is the most important and unsuccesfull part of all these data transfer.ArMap has endless tools for editing any kind of geographical data.You can cut, bend, shift, merge your GPS data in ArcMap without any limitations. There is a way to transfer data from Arc Map to Explorist GPS. First Edit your data in Arc Map than export is KMZ >Open the KMZ with Google Earth and save it as KML > Open the KML file in GPS Trackmaker and finally save it as gpsx directly in to your GPS device memory.

The Problem: When you edit line (track) features in ArcMap, For instance if you merge two different tracks they become a single feature in ArcMap but deep in the database file they are still separate files which are just linked. If you export a merged tack from ArcMap to GPSTrackmaker. The GPS Trackmaker will give different colors to the unified line segments which means that they are not physically merged or unified but they are linked or associated.
This is the origin of the problem which I could not find any solutions.
Becuse Magellan Explorist GPS can open a gpsx trac file which has ony one track segment within. SO any gpsx files made up of linked line segments will not be read by Explorist X10
There is no problem of transfering point data.
If any one will offer any solution about transfering edited track data from ArcMap back to Explorist GPS I will be very happy.
Sorry for my poor English...

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 3
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply