Get rid of that "find next closest screen" | Page 3 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Get rid of that "find next closest screen"
June 26, 2012
1:47 am
Jake81499
Members
Forum Posts: 45
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6519sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, I don't use the 'Find Next Nearest Geocache' function because I don't seem to have one.

I ride a motorcycle most of the time when caching. I usually wear a full face helmet when caching. The lower bar of the helmet blocks the view of the speedometer so that I have to physically bow my head to see the speedometer. With the GPS mounted on the handlebars I can see the screen with no problem at all. So I use the GPS Dashboard as my speedometer. It's actually much more accurate than the stock speedometer.

shot01.png

The top of the dashboard is actually what I would like set to automatic. I'd like to see it set to automatically jump to the next nearest cache even if you don't stop for the previous cache. That's the way the competitors do it and it's a fantastic feature.

The Map screen works OK but as you can see the speedometer frames are very small and harder to see. It still works fine now that there are some maps being made without all the background colors. I should mention that the geocache icon too is very small and harder to see while on a bike even with the better maps.

shot02.png

Here is a shot of my setup on the bike. You can just see the top edge of the speedometer in the shot.

shot03.jpg

June 25, 2012
9:29 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6518sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I never use the dashboard page.
While looking for a cache I have the map screen on.
Apparently there are some settings somewhere that affect how the "Next closest geocache?" option works.
I have the side button set to show cache details, when I'm on a GO TO it shows the target cache details, press it again and it goes back to the page I was on, when I'm not on a GO TO it brings up the geocaches list.
Perhaps that's why mine works the way it does?

Personally I don't like the controls of most of the Garmin units, that's one of the reasons I don't use a Garmin.
But that's just my personal preferences.

A friend of mine is a beta tester for Garmin and for DeLorme so for the past three years I have had the chance to compare most of the new units.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

June 25, 2012
8:39 pm
Jake81499
Members
Forum Posts: 45
6517sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Um, when I mark a cache as found it asks me 'Enter Comments?' I tap no, then it asks 'Find next closest Geocache?' and I tap 'NO'. The four corner menu is already there so I tap lower left, then tap Geocaches and the list of geocaches, sorted by distance, comes up.

I've not ever seen my 710 ask me to 'Find next closest cache?' After I press NO for leaving a comment it goes back to the found/not found page and I have to navigate back to the list.

Idealy I think the next nearest cache should AUTOMATICALLY be listed on the top of the Dashboard page using the compass to show the direction, show the distance and the cache name or number. That's basically the way the competitors do it and it works out great. If you deliberatly bypass that cache it will AUTOMATICALLY jump to the next cache. The maps work as normal showing all caches.

When you tap on the name of the cache in the dashboard you should be able to bring up the cache details and enter your found/not found information.

If you don't want to find the cache the GPS sellected, then go to the list and navigate to the one you want to find.

June 25, 2012
7:37 pm
phild31
Members
6515sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Actually, Matt at Magellan is currently reviewing the GUI on these units, so this would be the perfect time to give him any input you might have.

Thanks,
David

Some input for an improvement;
I would like to see any child-waypoints (parking & trailhead especially) of geocaches be on the geocache page and not just loaded to the waypoints list with no way to find them.

As it is now you have to input the waypoint number, on the waypoints list, to find it or you scroll the map, zoom in to see a waypoint somewhere near the target geocache, tap it to see if it's what you want, then set the GO TO.
And all that is assuming you already know the number or even if there is a child waypoint for that geocache.

Paperless geocaching would be great but I have to write down the parking/trailhead waypoint numbers before heading out for a day of caching.

June 25, 2012
4:41 pm
phild31
Members
6514sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,

The next nearest geocache option has never worked properly on my 710.
I don't see the need for the option at all, when I mark caches as found as I described in my post it takes seconds to get the geocache list up, so the Next Closest option seems redundant to me, even if it worked.

So I thought I would answer your questions also;

Are you running the lastest version of the firmware?
Yes

How many caches do you have loaded on your GPS and how many GPX files are they contained in?
See images below.
By the way, all 4052 caches are with-in 30 miles of my house, where I am standing on my front porch doing this test.

How are you loading the caches to your GPS? Vantage Point(VP), GSAK, Drag & Drop or Magellan Communicator.
GSAK and Communicator

If you are loading your GPS with VP, are you using the Synchronize option or the send from PC to GPS option to transfer the caches?
I never use VP

Do you have any special settings selected in the "Sort & Search" menu on the Geocaching list page on your unit?
NO

Do you have an SD card in the unit? And if so, how many maps are loaded on it and how many GBs to they take up on the SD card.
Yes, 4.89 GB
See images below

Here's some screenshots;

I set a GO TO the Devir Park Pesky Slimey Micro cache, then marked it as 'Found', wrote a log then tapped 'Yes' for 'Find next closest geocache?'.
This is what I get when I use 'Find next closest geocache?';

And here is what's on the 710;

In case it matters, I have the hard buttons set for this;

June 25, 2012
9:05 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6513sp_Permalink sp_Print

Twistyipper,

Could you please give me some details?

Are you running the lastest version of the firmware?

How many caches do you have loaded on your GPS and how many GPX files are they contained in?

How are you loading the caches to your GPS? Vantage Point(VP), GSAK, Drag & Drop or Magellan Communicator.

If you are loading your GPS with VP, are you using the Synchronize option or the send from PC to GPS option to transfer the caches?

Do you have any special settings selected in the "Sort & Search" menu on the Geocaching list page on your unit?

Do you have an SD card in the unit? And if so, how many maps are loaded on it and how many GBs to they take up on the SD card.

I'm asking these questions, first so that I can forward the information to Magellan. Secondly I'm asking these questions because I too am an avid cacher and I'm not having these problems on my 510, 610 or 710. And actually, I'm the reason that Magellan added this function to these units, because I often do high speed caching, also with my Garmin buddies. We've grabbed as many as 500+ caches in a day; but more frequently go after 100+ and often on dirt bikes and ATVs so we have to be quick and yes, I too used to have a problem keeping up with the guys running the Garmin 60s and 62s. However, with the Find Next function I don't have the problem anymore. So, if you can please give me any information to help us find the problem your having I'm very interested in getting it fixed. Actually, Matt at Magellan is currently reviewing the GUI on these units, so this would be the perfect time to give him any input you might have.

Thanks,
David

June 25, 2012
5:26 am
phild31
Members
6512sp_Permalink sp_Print

Um, when I mark a cache as found it asks me 'Enter Comments?' I tap no, then it asks 'Find next closest Geocache?' and I tap 'NO'. The four corner menu is already there so I tap lower left, then tap Geocaches and the list of geocaches, sorted by distance, comes up.
Total time from tapping 'Found' to tapping the next closest geocache on the list - 8 seconds.
I just timed it sitting here at my desk.

I assume you are tapping 'No' so I don't know why your unit should be much slower than my 710.

When you are caching with someone with a competitive model (you can say Garmin/DeLorme) are you competing to be the first to find the next cache?
If you really want to speed up the process just mark it as found as soon as it's found, not after you sign the log.
Then you already have the unit set to GO TO the next target before you even re-hide the cache.

June 25, 2012
2:58 am
twistyipper
Members
Forum Posts: 40

This is the most annoying screen I can think of on my 610--since it does not work and I am constantly waiting for the slow processor to get me to the next page--when caching with a competitive model the cacher is always 30 meters ahead of me to the next hide--not because he is faster but because of this useless feature which I can apparently not turn off--this topic has been flogged to death but I feel it is still an issue--either fix the problem or delete the option--grrrr TY

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 14
Forums: 41
Topics: 920
Newest Members:
bianca44d037, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 26, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply