Get rid of that "find next closest screen" | Page 2 | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Get rid of that "find next closest screen"
July 6, 2012
4:49 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
Forum Posts: 250
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6620sp_Permalink sp_Print

pprass wrote:

Gosh - why are you guys still trying to work out how the "Next Nearest" function works. As Graham said - the solution was explained about 2 months ago and Graham even set out the step by step procedure on what to do to get it to work.
David then said that he passed it onto Magellan to get it fixed, but we now know that Magellan did not take any notice of the problem until Richard personally found the problem while geocaching - gosh you would think that some other tech person would be going geocaching in the last 2 months and discover the problem wouldn't you? 2 months without a cache - ahhhh!

I'm with you Peter!!!

July 6, 2012
1:48 am
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
6616sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well that's the problem with all these stupid work-a-rounds to get different options to work properly.

There's not too many people that will remember every work-a-round while out in the woods.
Or should we print out a cheat sheet to carry around in case we forget the specific steps to reset a setting that actually looks like it's set properly?
I can think of at least 7 different things that require some kind of work-a-round.
And they have all been reported to "The Team" months ago!
Soon we will need several pages to lug around!

Plus every new user will be asking about these minor problems that we won't always remember the work-a-rounds for.

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

July 6, 2012
1:30 am
pprass
Members
Forum Posts: 264
6614sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gosh - why are you guys still trying to work out how the "Next Nearest" function works. As Graham said - the solution was explained about 2 months ago and Graham even set out the step by step procedure on what to do to get it to work.
David then said that he passed it onto Magellan to get it fixed, but we now know that Magellan did not take any notice of the problem until Richard personally found the problem while geocaching - gosh you would think that some other tech person would be going geocaching in the last 2 months and discover the problem wouldn't you? 2 months without a cache - ahhhh!

June 27, 2012
6:42 am
Jake81499
Members
Forum Posts: 45
6545sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I figured out how to turn it off and on. Check the suggestion box under next cache issues.

June 27, 2012
2:59 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
6538sp_Permalink sp_Print

The ‘Find next nearest Geocache’ is a function I use all the time and it works perfectly all the time.

You just have to remember that if you use ‘Search by name or ID’ to lookup a cache then you will need to reset ‘Sort By:’ back to ‘Nearest’ even though it will say ‘Nearest’ to restore the ‘Find next nearest Geocache’ function .

It is a similar issue when in vehicle profile and you change to ‘Point to Point’ to find the cache. You then have to reset ‘Turn by Turn’ by pressing the vehicle profile even though it is showing vehicle. I previously suggested that this could be easily automatically reset but others in this forum thought it was not required.

Graham.

June 26, 2012
10:33 pm
phild31
Members
6535sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you tap no for 'Enter Comments' it will still log a find.
When you load your logs to Geocaching.com the log will have just a time stamp of when you 'found' it.
Handy for logging them in the order they were found.
I'll only enter a message when I want a reminder of something specific about the cache, like what I took or left.

The distance will always be as the crow flies, then it's up to us to figure out how to get there.
Sometimes I wished I was a crow, in Pennsylvania there was a cache 1200 feet away that I needed to find but the valley I was in had no bridges to cross the river near by. I ended up driving over 10 miles to get a cache that was 1200 feet away, as the crow flies.

I'm always entering a cache name or ID to start searching for caches, when I leave my house there are over 4,000 caches within 30 miles of me, if my target cache is just 10 miles away I can't just wade through a list of caches to find it on the GPSr.
Now that I know what's causing the "Find next closest" to malfunction I can reset the 'Sort By' before getting out of the truck and everything will work properly.

June 26, 2012
9:31 pm
garcor
Members
Forum Posts: 93
6534sp_Permalink sp_Print

For what it's worth my 710 will ask me if I want the next closest cache after I log my find and when I select yes it gives it to me.

Usually when I log my find I just click AAA or something that reminds me that I have logged it or if there is a note I want for that cache I put that in and save it then it will ask if I want the next closest I click yes and it gives it to me( I must say it is closest as the crow flies ) and not necessary in front of me as I am going down a trail.

Now saying all this I only have between 100-800 caches loaded in my 710 at a time. and clear my find stats out off my 710 when I finish logging them to geocacheing.com

June 26, 2012
8:16 pm
phild31
Members
6533sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Phil,

I live within a couple of miles from the Santa Fe and BNF repair facilities here in Barstow and I noticed something odd about the trains. When they have a problem with one of the locomotives they don’t just take the problem part off and throw it away – they fix it!

David

David,

I worked on the railroad (Boston & Maine and Amtrak) repairing locomotives for 38 years, when we got new upgraded parts from the manufacturer of the locomotives that repeatedly failed or never worked properly at all, we took them out, put in the old parts that work and sent the new defective/poorly designed parts back to the manufacturer.

Phil Kiss 😛

June 26, 2012
7:50 pm
phild31
Members
6532sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,

I don't want it thrown away but I would like the ability to turn it off.

June 26, 2012
7:41 pm
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
6531sp_Permalink sp_Print

Phil,

I live within a couple of miles from the Santa Fe and BNF repair facilities here in Barstow and I noticed something odd about the trains. When they have a problem with one of the locomotives they don’t just take the problem part off and throw it away – they fix it!

I know there are problems with the Find Next functionality; however, the reality is that the larger community of Geocachers, besides those on THIS forum, does want this capability due to the fact that power trails are a growing reality within the Geocaching community. I do thank you for checking it out and finding the point of failure on your unit and I will pass that information on to Matt and Richard; however, from all of the input that I received from all of the other sources that I monitor and from the individuals that I’ve spoken to at several events where I’ve been representing Magellan, the majority within Geocaching community feel that this is a needed feature.

So, I’m not going to argue and debate this feature; however, I will ask if we can add an option to disable it within the Setting Menu and I will also address the possible of adding it to the dash board and I will even ask Matt and Richard to take a look at the Garmin units, like the 60Csx and 62stc, and see how they’re working to see if that would work better than the existing version we have today.

David

June 26, 2012
7:27 pm
phild31
Members
6530sp_Permalink sp_Print

The side buttons can be set for many things, I don't remember the default settings for them.
I have the buttons set for 'Profile Selection' and 'Geocache Details' because that works the best for me.

The 'Find nearest' I would like to turn off but I can't find any controls for it at all.

Your idea for the dashboard would be very useful but apparently an idea taken from Garmin/Delorme/GSAK is somehow hard for Magellan to get their minds around.
Not a big surprise, Garmin, DeLorme & Magellan all are loathe to incorporate a feature first seen in a competitor's products until they can claim they do it better or actually was their idea anyway.

But, Magellan has been pretty good with incorporating new features and fixing problems.

June 26, 2012
7:22 pm
David
Members
6529sp_Permalink sp_Print

ShortcutHicksy wrote:

Hi David,

Just remember what Peter found. That is the need to go into Sort & Search then Sort By: and reset it to ‘Nearest’ even though it will say ‘Nearest’ whenever the ‘Search by Name or ID’ has been used.

Since I have been doing that after any use of ‘Search by Name or ID’ I have had no instances when ‘Find next nearest Geocache’ has not work correctly. The number of caches loaded or if they are in a number of gpx files makes no difference.

Graham.
PS You previously indicated Richard would reset it automatically in a future firmware update.

Graham,

I am keeping this in mind and it is has been passed onto the team at Magellan; however, it is also in my notes, which I will be reviewing with them again in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the reminder,
David

June 26, 2012
6:56 pm
Jake81499
Members
6528sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can see you're point on this. There are several setting that I've never touched that aren't what I believe should have been 'factory settings'. Like the Find Nearest. Apparently it's a default 'on' but I've never seen it come up and I cannot find where to turn it on. (Which is fine) The Camera button was also set to bring up the Geocaching page out of the box. I had to set it to Camera then afterwards I set it to Dashboard. I purchaced mine Sealed NIB from Newegg.com. I upgraded the firmware the following day after recieving the GPS.

June 26, 2012
6:29 pm
phild31
Members
6527sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here's an update on my "Find next closest geocache" testing.

When I went to 'Sort & Search' my settings were as they always are -- all, all, all, all, all, Nearest, all.
When I use 'Search by name or ID' to find a cache and mark it as found the "Find next closest geocache" option does not show up.
When I went back to 'Sort & Search' the settings did not change but I tapped 'Sort By' anyway and then tapped 'Nearest', which was already selected and had not been changed by me.

Now when I pick a cache from the cache list the "Find next closest geocache" option works and shows the next closest caches!
This is the first time it has EVER worked for me.

Don't think I am happy about this in any way!

I did not ever change the settings in sort & search, so the programming changed it but did not mark it as changed or change it back to what the settings show.
But the geocache list still always sorted by 'Nearest'.
The only thing affected was the stupid "Find next closest geocache" option.

So, to use an option I think is redundant I have to reset the 'Sort By' to the settings it is already set to any time I search for any cache by name.
Or when it doesn't work reset the 'Sort By' to the settings it is already set to just in case I searched for a geocache by name last week and ,silly me, forgot to reset the 'Sort By' to the settings it is already set to!
Oh yes, this can be a real time saver!!

If that makes any sense to anybody I have a bridge for sale I'm sure they would be interested in. 👿

June 26, 2012
6:15 pm
Jake81499
Members
6526sp_Permalink sp_Print

dwcarr1 wrote:

Try entering a comment the next time you find a cache, even if you just press the "ok" check mark and don't add anything to the comment. See if the "Find Next" then comes up...

Yep, I tried that. I've tried several experaments including the sort and re-sort as listed in another post. It doesn't come up. I am using the latest firmware update also.

I think if the automatic find nearest was implimented some of these guys might want it to navigate on the map as well as the dashboard. I wouldn't need the map navigation myself, just the dashboard top section with distance, name, and the compass. The name should be tapable to bring up the page for that cache.

Jake81499

June 26, 2012
3:25 pm
phild31
Members
6525sp_Permalink sp_Print

David,

Those GPX files are new caches that were published after I loaded the GSAK file.
Look at the dates and size of them.
I use Communicator to load them because don't see a need to update my GSAK file every day just for a handful of new caches.

I have tried to get the "next closest" to work and even with just 50 caches loaded on one file it has never shown the closest cache to me.
I tried loading them with GSAK, VP, drag & drop and the "next closest" has NEVER ONCE shown me the closest cache to me.
So like Nancy Reagan I 'JUST SAY NO' to it.

I think it's a redundant option anyway and even if it worked it would not save me any time.
I just bring up the geocache list by pressing the hard button (that I have set for cache details) to see the closest cache!

I suppose on a speed run of 100+ caches every 600 feet on a desert highway it could be somewhat useful but while driving city streets or just to see what's close by after finding a cache it will save maybe a few seconds, assuming the stupid thing worked.
I have no problem keeping up with my caching buddies while walking from cache to cache.

But for my usage I would rather it wasn't there at all.
How can I remove the stupid thing from my 710?

Instead of fixing it I would much rather see what Jake81499 suggested on the dashboard.

June 26, 2012
9:10 am
ShortcutHicksy
Members
6523sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi David,

Just remember what Peter found. That is the need to go into Sort & Search then Sort By: and reset it to ‘Nearest’ even though it will say ‘Nearest’ whenever the ‘Search by Name or ID’ has been used.

Since I have been doing that after any use of ‘Search by Name or ID’ I have had no instances when ‘Find next nearest Geocache’ has not work correctly. The number of caches loaded or if they are in a number of gpx files makes no difference.

Graham.
PS You previously indicated Richard would reset it automatically in a future firmware update.

June 26, 2012
7:09 am
David
Members
6522sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, just a couple of question!

Phil,

Why do you have so many GPX files loaded on your GPS? Just wondering since you're a big GSAK user. Please try an experiment for me! Reload your GPS with everything loaded in one GPX file and see if the "Find Next" starts working correctly. I would greatly appreicate it, but mine always works fine; but I always load my GPX with a single GPX file.

Tim,

Try entering a comment the next time you find a cache, even if you just press the "ok" check mark and don't add anything to the comment. See if the "Find Next" then comes up...

Thanks,
David

June 26, 2012
4:42 am
Jake81499
Members
6521sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Well, I don't use the 'Find Next Nearest Geocache' function because it does not work. It seems to show random caches from the list but it never has shown the closest geocache to me.

That's the reason I never saw the usefullness of a manual 'Find Next Nearest Cache' function. Even in the Garmin the manual version never showed the cache in front of me unless I was moving. There were just too many buttons to push and it was a pain in the hind end when you had to tell it to find another cache if you passed one by.

But before I really start, I want to say I always use the maps when actually looking for or navigating to a cache. The Dashboard is just an early warning system telling me there is a cache nearby along the route when I'm using the speedometer.

I think I'd better also add that the mode I'm speaking of ONLY works in the Dashboard. It does not draw a route to the cache or anything like that on the map.

I'll try to explain how the automatic version worked.

IF, I pass a cache, that cache will show up for a short time as getting further away. After a few seconds the GPS would automatically jump to the next cache and that cache was almost alway in front of me.

IF I'm stationary, as in I just found a cache, the GPS would automatically jump to the next cache which was just simply the nearest. In this case I would again check the map to see what was around.

I could then either go after that cache or continue my course, in which case the GPS would jump to the next cache in front of me.

The cache could be to the side of me but most often it would be somewhere in front. That cache could still be a couple miles off my course depending on the density of the caches in the area.

If there were a dozen caches within a half mile of me while moving it would just lock on one stay there and then jump to the next nearest when the first was out of range.

And I also would flash back and forth between maps and dashboard to see what all was around. If I saw something interesting on the map I could go get it if I wanted to.

I hate to say it but the loss of that function alone makes me regret selling my Oregon 450 as quickly as I did after recieving the 710.

June 26, 2012
4:11 am
phild31
Members
6520sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I don't use the 'Find Next Nearest Geocache' function because it does not work. It seems to show random caches from the list but it never has shown the closest geocache to me.

Looking for geocaches ahead on my travel route is not something I do even with the laptop mounted in my truck unless I have someone with me to act as navigator & find targets ahead of us.
What I do on my solo road trips is set a GO TO to a likely cache down the road and just glance at the map while going down the road.

On a bike that wouldn't work, the icons are too small on the map.
I agree, what you want on the dashboard would work and be very nice.

Hopefully they can do something like that on a future update.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 5
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 14
Forums: 41
Topics: 920
Newest Members:
bianca44d037, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 26, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply