Geocaching Stats | General 510 610 710 | Forums

Please consider registering
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_TopicIcon
Geocaching Stats
February 19, 2011
10:12 pm
eXcer
Members
Forum Posts: 15
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1506sp_Permalink sp_Print

capjap wrote:

I love GSAK but I have a Mac. It's a pain to go through boot camp each time, and I just got a new Mac for Christmas but it has no windows on it yet.

Why don't you install a Virtual Machine on your Mac? Use Paralells or VMWare and run Windows inside your Mac! 😉

December 31, 2010
9:40 pm
phild31
Nashua, New Hampshire USA
Members
Forum Posts: 1479
1127sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sarge104 wrote:

Amen on the Toughbook, don't have one myself but the caching partner's father has one and it rocks and rolls and keeps working. Drag racing, hyperactive kids, caching, it just keeps going. The toughbook that he has isn't the newest and greatest but as long as the software doesn't *** out I doubt it will be retired soon.

A couple of years before I retired the Railroad got a few Toughbooks for us to use on locomotive repairs.
Very nice but very expensive!
So I found an old refurbished one on E-bay for under $400, not bad for a machine that sold for over $2,000 new just 4 or 5 years ago.

35 years ago I could fix a locomotive with a hammer & a prayer, but I must admit I like the new high-tech world a lot! 😛
Much easier on these old bones! :cheer:

When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

December 31, 2010
8:53 pm
Sarge104
Members
Forum Posts: 55
1125sp_Permalink sp_Print

phild31 wrote:

Being a clumsy oaf I kept breaking my laptops anyway so I gave the Mac (after fixing it) to a girlfriend and got a refurbished Panasonic Toughbook to drag around with me while hunting, fishing, geocaching etc.
The Toughbook is great, I already dropped it out of the truck, got it rained on when the tent blew down and it still works! 😛

Amen on the Toughbook, don't have one myself but the caching partner's father has one and it rocks and rolls and keeps working. Drag racing, hyperactive kids, caching, it just keeps going. The toughbook that he has isn't the newest and greatest but as long as the software doesn't crap out I doubt it will be retired soon.

December 31, 2010
8:27 pm
phild31
Members
1124sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had a Mac laptop a couple of years ago, very nice but I kept finding programs that don't work on it.
I would feel lost without GSAK and Streets & Trips now.
Being a clumsy oaf I kept breaking my laptops anyway so I gave the Mac (after fixing it) to a girlfriend and got a refurbished Panasonic Toughbook to drag around with me while hunting, fishing, geocaching etc.
The Toughbook is great, I already dropped it out of the truck, got it rained on when the tent blew down and it still works! 😛

I sort of miss using my old Explorist XL, I could load every cache in New England on it (in Loc, not gpx) so it made a great back-up GPSr while on a trip.

The 710 is just about perfect for everything though! :woohoo:
Almost don't need a back-up!

December 31, 2010
5:41 pm
capjap
Members
Forum Posts: 33
1123sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love GSAK but I have a Mac. It's a pain to go through boot camp each time, and I just got a new Mac for Christmas but it has no windows on it yet.

December 31, 2010
6:26 am
phild31
Members
1122sp_Permalink sp_Print

I massage my PQs through GSAK then load straight to the 710 from GSAK.
But when I have loaded a cache straight to the 710 from GC.com that was already loaded from GSAK it did not duplicate it, it replaced it with the newer gpx file. 🙂

Get used to marking a cache as found/unfound accidentally until you get used to scrolling the options menu. I would be in a hurry and not pay attention to what came up when trying to end a go-to.

Now I never do that by accident (well almost never) :blush:

December 31, 2010
5:01 am
capjap
Members
1121sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well since I really haven't found or not found any caches, I did find a place to reset the history while trying to find the menu item Dave suggested.

Now I have another question. I have been dragging and dropping pq's into the unit. If there are 2 caches which overlap areas that I use for a pq, will it be recognized and included only once?

December 31, 2010
4:40 am
David
Members
Forum Posts: 646
1120sp_Permalink sp_Print

capjap wrote:

I just received my 610 and while playing with it trying to become familiar with it, I accidentally marked a cache as unfound. Then I pressed it again thinking that would toggle it back to neutral, but it marked it unfound again. So this time I pressed found thinking that would unmark it. Well now I have 2 unfound caches and one found cache and I have no idea how to unmark it. Can anyone help?

I can't wait to get out and cache with it. Hoping New Year's Day!

I agree the toggle idea would be cool, however, it really is pretty easy. Goto the main menu, then into the cache list and select that cache you need to fix - then select the menu in the bottom right side of the screen and scroll down the menu to "Delete My Last Log". That will remove the last log entered on that cache.

David

December 31, 2010
4:16 am
capjap
Members

I just received my 610 and while playing with it trying to become familiar with it, I accidentally marked a cache as unfound. Then I pressed it again thinking that would toggle it back to neutral, but it marked it unfound again. So this time I pressed found thinking that would unmark it. Well now I have 2 unfound caches and one found cache and I have no idea how to unmark it. Can anyone help?

I can't wait to get out and cache with it. Hoping New Year's Day!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 99
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 8
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
phild31: 1479
David: 646
denisetdoris: 400
pprass: 264
S!G: 251
ShortcutHicksy: 250
jmebd: 184
Sockeye: 170
Caotix: 143
Paganel: 116
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5
Members: 805
Moderators: 0
Admins: 3
Forum Stats:
Groups: 15
Forums: 42
Topics: 921
Newest Members:
savannahtindale, Wat, KHB3, ethanwetherspoon, EmilyAnges, cletachristie0, Robert Temple, OSS-SAS
Administrators: jg_the_Prophet: 29, mike_the_Enforcer: 0, OSS-SAS: 1

Leave a Reply